USB Printers and 11.3

  • Donn Washburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
      Hey Group;

      This is my first effort on this subject. So far no one at openSuSE has
      come up with a reason why a USB Brother MFC7840W printer with their
      factory cups driver (total of 4 printer, scan, and something else
      file.rpms). cups fails to print but it say every thing is fine. The
      printer just doesn't print a thing via USB.

      It is approved by Linuxprinter.org it should work "perfectly"

      I have sorted through /var/log/cups/error.conf and have even upgraded
      cups from source to see if it is like mp3s openSuSE had fiddled with it.

      Finally it works in Fedora 12 but not at all in SuSE 11.3

      Anyone have a clue where to check? hwinfo and lsusb show it and
      modprobe has the driver module.

      --
      73 de Donn Washburn
      307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@... "
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
        On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 19:10, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...> wrote:
        > This is my first effort on this subject. So far no one at openSuSE has
        > come up with a reason why a USB Brother MFC7840W printer with their
        > factory cups driver (total of 4 printer, scan, and something else
        > file.rpms). cups fails to print but it say every thing is fine. The
        > printer just doesn't print a thing via USB.
        >
        > It is approved by Linuxprinter.org it should work "perfectly"
        >
        > I have sorted through /var/log/cups/error.conf and have even upgraded
        > cups from source to see if it is like mp3s openSuSE had fiddled with it.
        >
        > Finally it works in Fedora 12 but not at all in SuSE 11.3
        >
        > Anyone have a clue where to check? hwinfo and lsusb show it and
        > modprobe has the driver module.

        By "their factory cups driver" do you mean SuSE's native driver, or do
        you mean Brother's? Non-SuSE, but I just configured a MFC7340 printer
        on Ubuntu, and I had to download a driver directly from Brother to get
        it working.

        That may or may not be useful to you, just thought I'd suggest it,
        especially since you say it works in F12 but not in SuSE 11.3.

        That would also direct me to the question, Why? Is Fedora using a
        different driver than SuSE is?

        Cheers,

        Jeff

        --

        Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
        that I shall some day die, which is not so."
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
          On 01/28/2010 02:11 PM, J wrote:

          > On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 19:10, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...
          > <mailto:n5xwb%40comcast.net>> wrote:
          > > This is my first effort on this subject. So far no one at openSuSE has
          > > come up with a reason why a USB Brother MFC7840W printer with their
          > > factory cups driver (total of 4 printer, scan, and something else
          > > file.rpms). cups fails to print but it say every thing is fine. The
          > > printer just doesn't print a thing via USB.
          > >
          > > It is approved by Linuxprinter.org it should work "perfectly"
          > >
          > > I have sorted through /var/log/cups/error.conf and have even upgraded
          > > cups from source to see if it is like mp3s openSuSE had fiddled with it.
          > >
          > > Finally it works in Fedora 12 but not at all in SuSE 11.3
          > >
          > > Anyone have a clue where to check? hwinfo and lsusb show it and
          > > modprobe has the driver module.
          >
          > By "their factory cups driver" do you mean SuSE's native driver, or do
          > you mean Brother's? Non-SuSE, but I just configured a MFC7340 printer
          > on Ubuntu, and I had to download a driver directly from Brother to get
          > it working.
          >
          > That may or may not be useful to you, just thought I'd suggest it,
          > especially since you say it works in F12 but not in SuSE 11.3.
          >
          > That would also direct me to the question, Why? Is Fedora using a
          > different driver than SuSE is?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Jeff

          It was the Brothers Factory RPM. openSuSE cups would not even see the
          USB printer.
          brmfc7840wlpr-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
          cupswrapperMFC7840W-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm

          Yast2 sees the drivers and everything looks correct. All of the cups
          things and answers seem correct. lsusb and hwinfo seem correct but the
          print will not even turn on the panel back light. The printer works
          correctly in Fedora 12 and I think Ubuntu. I even replaced cups 1.3
          with 1.4 and everything looks good but remains the same.

          73 de Donn Washburn
          307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@... "
          Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
          Ham Callsign N5XWB HAMs : " n5xwb@... "
          BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
          " http://counter.li.org " #279316

        • ercoupeflyer
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
            When You browse the USB attached devices, does your printer show up under OpenSuSE? Which is a separate issue from the actual printer driver one.

            Smile
            Brian

            --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...> wrote:

            > On 01/28/2010 02:11 PM, J wrote:
            > >
            > > On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 19:10, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...
            > > <mailto:n5xwb%40comcast.net>> wrote:
            > > > This is my first effort on this subject. So far no one at openSuSE has
            > > > come up with a reason why a USB Brother MFC7840W printer with their
            > > > factory cups driver (total of 4 printer, scan, and something else
            > > > file.rpms). cups fails to print but it say every thing is fine. The
            > > > printer just doesn't print a thing via USB.
            > > >
            > > > It is approved by Linuxprinter.org it should work "perfectly"
            > > >
            > > > I have sorted through /var/log/cups/error.conf and have even upgraded
            > > > cups from source to see if it is like mp3s openSuSE had fiddled with it.
            > > >
            > > > Finally it works in Fedora 12 but not at all in SuSE 11.3
            > > >
            > > > Anyone have a clue where to check? hwinfo and lsusb show it and
            > > > modprobe has the driver module.
            > >
            > > By "their factory cups driver" do you mean SuSE's native driver, or do
            > > you mean Brother's? Non-SuSE, but I just configured a MFC7340 printer
            > > on Ubuntu, and I had to download a driver directly from Brother to get
            > > it working.
            > >
            > > That may or may not be useful to you, just thought I'd suggest it,
            > > especially since you say it works in F12 but not in SuSE 11.3.
            > >
            > > That would also direct me to the question, Why? Is Fedora using a
            > > different driver than SuSE is?
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Jeff
            > >
            > It was the Brothers Factory RPM. openSuSE cups would not even see the
            > USB printer.
            > brmfc7840wlpr-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
            > cupswrapperMFC7840W-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
            >
            > Yast2 sees the drivers and everything looks correct. All of the cups
            > things and answers seem correct. lsusb and hwinfo seem correct but the
            > print will not even turn on the panel back light. The printer works
            > correctly in Fedora 12 and I think Ubuntu. I even replaced cups 1.3
            > with 1.4 and everything looks good but remains the same.
            >

            > 73 de Donn Washburn
            > 307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@... "
            > Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
            > Ham Callsign N5XWB HAMs : " n5xwb@... "
            > VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
            > BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
            > " http://counter.li.org " #279316

          • Donn Washburn
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
              On 02/05/2010 10:43 AM, ercoupeflyer wrote:

              > When You browse the USB attached devices, does your printer show up
              > under OpenSuSE? Which is a separate issue from the actual printer
              > driver one.
              >
              > Smile
              > Brian
              >
              > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > On 01/28/2010 02:11 PM, J wrote:

              > openSuSE has

              > upgraded
              > with it.

              > > > By "their factory cups driver" do you mean SuSE's native driver, or do
              > > > you mean Brother's? Non-SuSE, but I just configured a MFC7340 printer
              > > > on Ubuntu, and I had to download a driver directly from Brother to get
              > > > it working.
              > > >
              > > > That may or may not be useful to you, just thought I'd suggest it,
              > > > especially since you say it works in F12 but not in SuSE 11.3.
              > > >
              > > > That would also direct me to the question, Why? Is Fedora using a
              > > > different driver than SuSE is?
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Jeff
              > > >
              > > It was the Brothers Factory RPM. openSuSE cups would not even see the
              > > USB printer.
              > > brmfc7840wlpr-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
              > > cupswrapperMFC7840W-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
              > >
              > > Yast2 sees the drivers and everything looks correct. All of the cups
              > > things and answers seem correct. lsusb and hwinfo seem correct but the
              > > print will not even turn on the panel back light. The printer works
              > > correctly in Fedora 12 and I think Ubuntu. I even replaced cups 1.3
              > > with 1.4 and everything looks good but remains the same.
              > >

              > ._,___
              I think you are asking about console/ncurses Yast2/Hardware/Printers/ on
              a right hand panel GUI as a USB device. If yes! NO it always remains
              empty. Yet every other USB detection tool works lsusb, and hwinfo --usb
              see it. And to add insult to injury it works flawlessly in Fedora and
              Ubuntu.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
                Donn Washburn wrote:
                > Hey Group;
                >
                > This is my first effort on this subject. So far no one at openSuSE has
                > come up with a reason why a USB Brother MFC7840W printer with their
                > factory cups driver (total of 4 printer, scan, and something else
                > file.rpms). cups fails to print but it say every thing is fine. The
                > printer just doesn't print a thing via USB.
                >
                > It is approved by Linuxprinter.org it should work "perfectly"
                >
                > I have sorted through /var/log/cups/error.conf and have even upgraded
                > cups from source to see if it is like mp3s openSuSE had fiddled with it.
                >
                > Finally it works in Fedora 12 but not at all in SuSE 11.3

                Suse 11.3 is alpha.

                So, it surprises you that something is broken, why, exactly?