Considering installing suse 11.2.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2010
      rocketeer141263 wrote:
      > I am considering installing suse 11.2 and am doing some
      > research into support, i am moving from windows

      I'm currently using openSUSE 11.0. It's the last openSUSE
      release with good, solid support for the KDE 3.x desktop.

      Since you're moving from Windows, you'll probably be more
      than satisfied with the KDE 4.3 desktop available in 11.2,
      [But it still has quite a way to go to match the usability
      of even the KDE 3.3.x desktop, let alone the current
      KDE 3.5.x releases, which is why I'm not yet ready to switch
      to KDE 4.x].
    • b
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi there,

             I have upgraded couple of my clients, to the latest version of openSuse with 4.3 kde, And have found in general, that they find the interface a little more complicated than 3.5 and have a lot of problems adjusting, these are not tech savvy people, but they did want to try the latest desktop. One person commented that after 3 years of using kde 3 that he felt that he wanted to go back to MS(even if he did get  #$*!! viruses)...... after experiencing kde 4.3....  And yes perhaps I should have waited to move some of my clients, but they started asking about windows 7....  Soooooooo... Ummm Blush... of the ones I have converted only 1 is happy!

        Brian

        > I am considering installing suse 11.2 and am doing some

        > research into support, i am moving from windows

        I'm currently using openSUSE 11.0. It's the last openSUSE

        release with good, solid support for the KDE 3.x desktop.

        Since you're moving from Windows, you'll probably be more

        than satisfied with the KDE 4.3 desktop available in 11.2,

        [But it still has quite a way to go to match the usability

        of even the KDE 3.3.x desktop, let alone the current

        KDE 3.5.x releases, which is why I'm not yet ready to switch

        to KDE 4.x].

      • Marty Felker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2010
          KDE 4.x has improved quite a bit with the 4.3.4 releas. I think that is
          standards with openSUSE 11.2,which I am using in a multi boot setup. In
          fact the one-step install of KDE 4.4 Beta 2 was smooth and I haven't had
          an problems with it - unlike the dUbuntu version. What I used during
          the installation of openSUSE 11.2 was actually the Gnome setup, which
          has been tweaked by the developers to look like KDE 4.x anyway. I guess
          it all depends on whether "eye candy" vs KDE 3.5 is worth anoything to
          you for dayo to day work.

          Marty Felker
        • Richard Armstrong
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
            Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. The reason I suggested
            installing suse 11.2 is that I have the disc from one of several
            magazines recently purchased. If I have not tried earlier versions of
            KDE, I am hoping not to experience to severe a culture shock moving from
            Windows to linux.

            Just to give you a little background, I have in a previous life used
            Silicon graphics workstations and later HP workstations so I am a little
            familiar with unix and the command line.

            I will continue to lurking in the background

            Regards

            Richard Armstrong

            richard dot g dot armstrong at btinternent dot com

          • J
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
              On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 14:27, Richard Armstrong
              <richard.g.armstrong@...> wrote:

              > Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. The reason I suggested
              > installing suse 11.2 is that I have the disc from one of several
              > magazines recently purchased. If I have not tried earlier versions of
              > KDE, I am hoping not to experience to severe a culture shock moving from
              > Windows to linux.

              Do what you want. If you mess up or don't like it, just try a
              different distro :-)

              > Just to give you a little background, I have in a previous life used
              > Silicon graphics workstations and later HP workstations so I am a little
              > familiar with unix and the command line.

              If you have that sort of background, the culture shock won't be as bad
              as you think. Sadly, my beloved O2 has departed this earth, courtesy
              of the evil men of UPS, and I do miss it... heh... but yeah, if you
              have experience with Irix and HPUX, you'll be fine. If you were a
              Windows only user, there would be a much steeper learning curve... in
              this case, you'll probably find it's more of just "remembering what
              you used to know" than it is "relearning the way you think".

              > I will continue to lurking in the background

              Dont lurk. Be active... ask questions... I'd also suggest the linux
              and linux_newbies groups at Yahoo!Groups too. This one is distro
              specific and great if you need SuSE answers, the other two are more
              generalized and we usually cover a broad range of subjects there...

              Cheers
              Jeff

              --

              Jonathan Swift  - "May you live every day of your life."
            • Richard Armstrong
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
                Thank you for the advice, I have submitted joining requests to both groups.