suse pugrade

  • mister ed
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
      I purchased, and presently use, suse 11.1 from novell. The disk came with a lot of software included. Now suse 11.2 has been released. My questions are (1)does the on line download contain all the extra software? (2) can the suse 11.2 be downloaded as an upgrade? that is, loaded over suse 11.1 keeping all my settings?
    • mister ed
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
        I purchased, and presently use, suse 11.1 from novell. The disk came with a lot of software included. Now suse 11.2 has been released. My questions are (1)does the on line download contain all the extra software? (2) can the suse 11.2 be downloaded as an upgrade? that is, loaded over suse 11.1 keeping all my settings?
      • jan laurie
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
          mister ed
           I went from 10.1 to 11 without doing anything other then put in the disk and follow along and nothing got lost from 10.1.
          Jan

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1 4:15 AM
            mister ed wrote:
            > I purchased, and presently use, suse 11.1 from novell. The
            > disk came with a lot of software included. Now suse 11.2 has
            > been released. My questions are (1)does the on line download
            > contain all the extra software? (2) can the suse 11.2 be
            > downloaded as an upgrade? that is, loaded over suse 11.1
            > keeping all my settings?

            If you do this:
            start menu -> applications -> system -> yast -> repositories
            or
            start menu -> system -> yast -> repositories

            Then you can click "community repositories" and find that there's
            all the software in the purchased physical media AND LOTS LOTS MORE!
          • ercoupeflyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
              I have been using SUSE since 7.3 and openSuSE since it was born my Experience has always been,
              that if I upgrade a system that only used the out of the box ISO originally available without any added repositories or custom software, then the upgrade path is OK, but if you have in any way strayed from that, and try to upgrade, your going to be reloading a clean system just to have something that works! The result of upgrading an expanded system is usually a system that kind of works, sort of but unexplained thing just happen.

              Smile!
              brian

              --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, jan laurie <flashlite23454@...> wrote:

              > mister ed
              >  I went from 10.1 to 11 without doing anything other then put in the disk and follow along and nothing got lost from 10.1.
              > Jan

            • Donn Washburn
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                Me too! I have been using SuSE for years from a box of CDs, DVD and now
                via upgrade zypper. However, now a days it seems openSuSE breaks more
                on upgrades that gets fixed. I would have thought short of GTK, QT and
                KDE/Gnome upgrades things should be improved and not damaged. Todays
                versions seem to be going to proprietary versions and not the source
                versions like Firefox and Open Office. But concerns about legal issues
                seem to ruin apps. This is 11.3 M0 and so for Apache, Amarok (not
                fully), K3B (not fully), Flight Gear (openGL), custom kernels (TIOGEN)
                and My USB Brother MFC 7840W printer (which works in Fedora 12) are
                failing. It would seem that things should improve not get broken. Take
                a look at /var/log/warn sometime

                --
                73 de Donn Washburn
                307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@... "

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                  Donn Washburn wrote:
                  > Me too! I have been using SuSE for years from a box of CDs, DVD and now
                  > via upgrade zypper. However, now a days it seems openSuSE breaks more
                  > on upgrades that gets fixed. I would have thought short of GTK, QT and
                  > KDE/Gnome upgrades things should be improved and not damaged. Todays
                  > versions seem to be going to proprietary versions and not the source

                  After Novell bought SuSE, they chased off the best people, keeping
                  only the "yes men" who were willing to slack off on quality in favor
                  of the whims of Novell's legendarily inept marketing department.
                • mr_ed
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                    suse 11.1 worked fine except I was never able to configure wireless
                    internet. Wired connection was difficult but possible. I just tried ubuntu
                    9.10 and it configured ethernet automatically. Very pleased so far with
                    ubuntu but still haven't tried wireless.

                    ________

                    ________