Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: FTP Server

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
      gm1mqe wrote:
      > This might be obvious to most users but....
      >
      > My problem was a concept one. I did not realise that the FTP users have to be added as users in the Linux Admin. Having used the windows FTP where the users were added via the actual FTP program.
      > If it had not been for an email from another Suse user I could well be still stuck.
      >
      > The netbook is now dual boot Linux 11.2 RC1 and Windows XP.
      >
      > Thanks, Andy

      yes, in Unix and Linux, all authorizations are centralized.
      If you want to give someone FTP permissions only, without
      login permission, then when you add them as a user to the
      (whole) system, just specify that their shell be /bin/true
      [Instead of /bin/bash, /bin/ksh/, /bin/csh, or /bin/sh]

      Whereas bash, ksh, csh, and sh are command shells (equivalent
      to command.com but more powerful), /bin/true "does nothing,
      successfully" (i.e. returns a value of 0, which indicates
      successful completion...as opposed to bin/false, which
      "does nothing, unsuccessfully" by returning a non-zero value.

      > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "gm1mqe" <GM1MQE@...> wrote:
      >> Thanks for the suggestion. Once I get my replacement laptop and desktop machines. Both of there mother boards failed on Friday.....
      >> Limited to my netbook just now.
      >>
      >> Cheers, Andy
      >>
      >> --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <polypagan@> wrote:

      >>> Okay, Andy,
      >>>
      >>> I haven't done this on SUSE, but looking at Yast2 (start>Computer>Yast, {root password} Software Management) and searching for 'ftp' I get a long list of options, many of which are clients, not a server.
      >>>
      >>> From the among the servers I would try 'pure-ftpd' which claims: "Pure-FTPd is a fast, production-quality, and standard-conforming FTP server, based-on Troll-FTPd. Unlike other popular FTP servers, it has no known security flaws, is trivial to set up, and is especially designed for modern Linux kernels (setfsuid and sendfile capabilities) . Features include: PAM support, IPv6, chroot()ed home directories, virtual domains, built-in LS, anti-warez system, bandwidth throttling, FXP, bounded ports for passive downloads, upload and download ratios, Apache log files, and more."
      >>>
      >>> Sounds pretty good to me -- ymmv.
      >>>
      >>> Anybody else have better information?
      >>>
      >>> best of luck and let us know!
      >>> Daniel

    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
        HI ANDY,
        On a different subject, i also have SUSE and XP as a dual
        boot, but would like to remove suse
        any ideas ??? or maybe try another distro if i can overight suse ??
        Patrick GW1SXN
        >> This might be obvious to most users but....
        >>
        >> My problem was a concept one. I did not realise that the FTP users have
        >> to be added as users in the Linux Admin. Having used the windows FTP
        >> where the users were added via the actual FTP program.
        >> If it had not been for an email from another Suse user I could well be
        >> still stuck.
        >>
        >> The netbook is now dual boot Linux 11.2 RC1 and Windows XP.
        >>
        >> Thanks, Andy
        >
        > yes, in Unix and Linux, all authorizations are centralized.
        > If you want to give someone FTP permissions only, without
        > login permission, then when you add them as a user to the
        > (whole) system, just specify that their shell be /bin/true
        > [Instead of /bin/bash, /bin/ksh/, /bin/csh, or /bin/sh]
        >
        > Whereas bash, ksh, csh, and sh are command shells (equivalent
        > to command.com but more powerful), /bin/true "does nothing,
        > successfully" (i.e. returns a value of 0, which indicates
        > successful completion...as opposed to bin/false, which
        > "does nothing, unsuccessfully" by returning a non-zero value.
        >
        >> --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "gm1mqe" <GM1MQE@...> wrote:
        >>> Thanks for the suggestion. Once I get my replacement laptop and desktop
        >>> machines. Both of there mother boards failed on Friday.....
        >>> Limited to my netbook just now.
        >>>
        >>> Cheers, Andy

        07:51:00