Unpartitioned disk space lookup issue for partitioning.

  • rbasant_1981
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
      Hi all,

      Im running suse 10.1 on a 40GB hard disk. While installing an year back i had only formatted 25GB. Now i would like to reclaim the rest 15GB. How can i do it. Im not able to see the unformatted partition at all for starting a partition. Where should i look to view it.

      Basant Chandran

      Compaq presario notebook | 256 MB | 40GB | 1.6Ghz | Pentium M
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
        rbasant_1981 wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Im running suse 10.1 on a 40GB hard disk. While installing
        > an year back i had only formatted 25GB. Now i would like
        > to reclaim the rest 15GB. How can i do it. Im not able to
        > see the unformatted partition at all for starting a
        > partition. Where should i look to view it.

        from the command line:
        $ su
        password
        # fdisk /dev/hda || fdisk /dev/sda

        from the KDE gui:
        app menu -> system -> yast -> system -> partitioner

        > Basant Chandran
        > Compaq presario notebook | 256 MB | 40GB | 1.6Ghz | Pentium M
      • electroaimant
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "rbasant_1981" <rbasant_1981@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Im running suse 10.1 on a 40GB hard disk. While installing an year back i had only formatted 25GB. Now i would like to reclaim the rest 15GB. How can i do it. Im not able to see the unformatted partition at all for starting a partition. Where should i look to view it.
          >
          > Basant Chandran
          >
          > Compaq presario notebook | 256 MB | 40GB | 1.6Ghz | Pentium M

          Use YAST partitioner, it will automatically tell you the mount points that are free, and then mount it to the place you need the space. For example, if you have 10GB of music, why not change the name of Music folder for a moment, Mount new partition to Music, copy the music over, then rename and reclaim that space. This will save you changing any partitions you already have for now.

          Also, it's probably best to format it as ext3 rather than reiserfs; since reiserfs is not being developed any more, though still supported by Suse, so there are better tools to recover and fix ext3 partitions.

          Yours,
          Grey

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
            electroaimant wrote:

            > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "rbasant_1981" <rbasant_1981@...> wrote:
            >> Hi all,
            >>
            >> Im running suse 10.1 on a 40GB hard disk. While installing an year back i had only formatted 25GB. Now i would like to reclaim the rest 15GB. How can i do it. Im not able to see the unformatted partition at all for starting a partition. Where should i look to view it.
            >>
            >> Basant Chandran
            >>
            >> Compaq presario notebook | 256 MB | 40GB | 1.6Ghz | Pentium M
            >>
            > Use YAST partitioner, it will automatically tell you the mount points that are free, and then mount it to the place you need the space. For example, if you have 10GB of music, why not change the name of Music folder for a moment, Mount new partition to Music, copy the music over, then rename and reclaim that space. This will save you changing any partitions you already have for now.
            >
            > Also, it's probably best to format it as ext3 rather than reiserfs; since reiserfs is not being developed any more, though still supported by Suse, so there are better tools to recover and fix ext3 partitions.

            I have found XFS to be the most reliable filesystem. In the past
            with both Reiserfs and ext3 suffered data loss related to rare,
            hard shut downs a few years ago.

            In contrast, with XFS, I have never lost any data, and that was
            on a laptop running SuSE 10.1 in IRAQ -- the power-level monitor
            was not doing clean shutdowns when the battery ran low, and
            the electricity generator for my barracks was shut down for
            maintenance every 14-21 days.

            Not a single hiccup with XFS.
          • rbasant_1981
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
              Thanks a lot for such a quick turnaround...electroaimant and Aaron.
              .. Lemme try ur recommendations over the weekend and will get back to you all with the results..