Re: [SUSE Linux Users] I tried to install enterprise server

  • J
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2009
      On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 06:33, george0135 <georgew@...> wrote:

      > Hello again Jeff
      > i tried to install again and watched the red hard drive light on the case it came on when it said probing
      > drives then i remembered 10.2 is using ext3 maybe sles 9 doesnt "see" ext3 partitions i think i will delete
      > the partitions of 10.2 then try again either it will work or it wont i still have the 10.2 disk to reinstall if it
      > doesnt work

      Not that... EXT3 and EXT2 are the same thing. The only real
      difference between them is the journaling feature, and any EXT3
      filesystem should be mountable as EXT2...

      I still think the problem is the SATA... seeing the hard disk light up
      doesn't mean too much... what happens when it searches for hard disks,
      IIRC, is that it's looking at anything that shows up as a "storage
      controller" which is a fairly simple operation. Once it IDs the
      controller, then the module for that is loaded and it goes and does
      it's thing...

      I just did some poking around on Google and it occurred to me I should
      have asked a couple more questions.

      A: What version of SLES 9 are you using?
      B: Where did you get it?

      Earlier versions (it's coming back to me with research now) did not
      support most, if any, SATA controllers but later updates did... so you
      may need at least SLES 9 SP3 to get SATA support.

      I am reasonably sure that the reason that you're seeing the HDD light
      up is that the installer first probes IDE devices, and since SATA is
      just a serial ATA device (as opposed to true IDE which is a parallel
      ATA device) and SATA can function as both IDE and SATA depending on
      the driver used, it's actually lighting up the drives on the IDE
      probe, BUT not reporting the disks.

      In Linux, SATA and SAS devices all show up as SCSI disks to the kernel
      (devices are labled sdX) where IDE devices are labled hdX.

      Out of curiosity, have you looked at any of the other consoles when
      the installer is running to see what kind of actual error messages are
      being spit out? when you see it start probing hard disks, start
      looking at those (hit CTRL-ALT and F1 to F6 for the various info
      consoles.....). I don't remember exactly which one spits out kernel
      messages, but it's in there somewhere...

      Cheers
      Jeff

      --

      Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
      it's always a cat."
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
        Hello again Jeff

        have wiped the drive with my windows xp disk tried again
        still not showing any hard drive conclusion its a sata drive have found a website with update downloads on it will get sp4 and see what happens

        cheers

        George

        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 06:33, george0135 <georgew@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello again Jeff
        > > i tried to install again and watched the red hard drive light on the case it came on when it said probing
        > > drives then i remembered 10.2 is using ext3 maybe sles 9 doesnt "see" ext3 partitions i think i will delete
        > > the partitions of 10.2 then try again either it will work or it wont i still have the 10.2 disk to reinstall if it
        > > doesnt work
        >
        > Not that... EXT3 and EXT2 are the same thing. The only real
        > difference between them is the journaling feature, and any EXT3
        > filesystem should be mountable as EXT2...
        >
        > I still think the problem is the SATA... seeing the hard disk light up
        > doesn't mean too much... what happens when it searches for hard disks,
        > IIRC, is that it's looking at anything that shows up as a "storage
        > controller" which is a fairly simple operation. Once it IDs the
        > controller, then the module for that is loaded and it goes and does
        > it's thing...
        >
        > I just did some poking around on Google and it occurred to me I should
        > have asked a couple more questions.
        >
        > A: What version of SLES 9 are you using?
        > B: Where did you get it?
        >
        > Earlier versions (it's coming back to me with research now) did not
        > support most, if any, SATA controllers but later updates did... so you
        > may need at least SLES 9 SP3 to get SATA support.
        >
        > I am reasonably sure that the reason that you're seeing the HDD light
        > up is that the installer first probes IDE devices, and since SATA is
        > just a serial ATA device (as opposed to true IDE which is a parallel
        > ATA device) and SATA can function as both IDE and SATA depending on
        > the driver used, it's actually lighting up the drives on the IDE
        > probe, BUT not reporting the disks.
        >
        > In Linux, SATA and SAS devices all show up as SCSI disks to the kernel
        > (devices are labled sdX) where IDE devices are labled hdX.
        >
        > Out of curiosity, have you looked at any of the other consoles when
        > the installer is running to see what kind of actual error messages are
        > being spit out? when you see it start probing hard disks, start
        > looking at those (hit CTRL-ALT and F1 to F6 for the various info
        > consoles.....). I don't remember exactly which one spits out kernel
        > messages, but it's in there somewhere...
        >
        > Cheers
        > Jeff
        >
        > --
        >
        > Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
        > it's always a cat."

      • J
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
          On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 15:48, george0135 <georgew@...> wrote:
          > Hello again Jeff
          >
          > have wiped the drive with my windows xp disk tried again
          > still not showing any hard drive conclusion its a sata drive have found a website with update downloads on it will get sp4 and see what happens

          Cool... Hopefully SP4 will get you there.

          --

          Ted Turner  - "Sports is like a war without the killing."