Using Linux

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 11:45 PM
      On behalf of j_minas:

      -------- Original Message --------

      Comment from user:
      I'd just like to be more adept using linux in general-- SUSE Linux
      specifically. I boot up my laptop using the live cd (v11.0) in
      questionable environments.
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 4:19 AM
        HI,
        Can anyone tell me where to find my downloded PDF files in SUSE 11.1
        Please
        Patrick GW1SXN
        > I'd just like to be more adept using linux in general-- SUSE Linux
        > specifically. I boot up my laptop using the live cd (v11.0) in
        > questionable environments.

        05:57:00
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 7:48 AM
          Patrick wrote:
          > HI,
          > Can anyone tell me where to find my downloded PDF files in SUSE 11.1
          > Please

          Where did you download them to?

          If you're not sure, go download something else with the same browser
          or whatever tool you used, and PAY ATTENTION to where the dialog
          box says that the downloads are being stored.

          Alternatively, if you have the locate command installed, then
          use this:
          locate .pdf

          you'll see a list of every .pdf file in the system

          to make it easier to read:

          locate .pdf | more
        • Jeff Lane
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 2:50 PM
            On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:48, Aaron Kulkis<akulkis00@...> wrote:

            > If you're not sure, go download something else with the same browser
            > or whatever tool you used, and PAY ATTENTION to where the dialog
            > box says that the downloads are being stored.

            In most cases, assuming you're using Firefox, things are either put by
            default into /home/downloads or just /home, or /home/Desktop.

            Do what he said... download something else and see where they are
            actually being downloaded to. If you're using Firefox, click
            Tools/Downloads or hit CTRL-Y. find a file in the list of downloaded
            files, and right click, and select "Open Containing Folder".

            You can also edit the FF preferences and set a default download
            directory. I usually just set mine to /home/downloads.

            > Alternatively, if you have the locate command installed, then
            > use this:
            > locate .pdf

            locate will only work if the located db has been updated... it doesn't
            self-update after each file addition.

            --

            Samuel Goldwyn - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
            right, but I am never wrong." -
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7 8:35 AM
              Jeff Lane wrote:
              > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:48, Aaron Kulkis<akulkis00@...> wrote:
              >
              >> If you're not sure, go download something else with the same browser
              >> or whatever tool you used, and PAY ATTENTION to where the dialog
              >> box says that the downloads are being stored.
              >
              > In most cases, assuming you're using Firefox, things are either put by
              > default into /home/downloads or just /home, or /home/Desktop.

              Actually, that would be
              /home/*username_here*/downloads, /home/*username_here*/
              or /home/*username_here*/Desktop.

              For example, with me, it would be /home/akulkis/downloads,
              /home/akulkis, or /home/akulkis/Desktop.

              Apparently, Jeff made his home directory to be /home, instead
              of /home/jeff or whatever his account name is.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7 8:52 AM
                On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:35, Aaron Kulkis<akulkis00@...> wrote:

                > Apparently, Jeff made his home directory to be /home, instead
                > of /home/jeff or whatever his account name is.

                Ugh... No... Jeff's brain thinks one thing but his fingers sometimes
                type out something else. Sigh...

                --

                Charles de Gaulle - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
                myself loving dogs." -