Timid windows user

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
      On behalf of mrh19805:

      I use windows and was thinking about swiching to linux, but I wasn't
      sure how to set it up and how hard it is to use linux. Can someone help
      me?
    • the_supernegro
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

        > On behalf of mrh19805:
        >
        > I use windows and was thinking about swiching to linux, but I wasn't
        > sure how to set it up and how hard it is to use linux. Can someone help
        > me?

        I guess... that was your first steps... right?
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
          the_supernegro wrote:
          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
          >> On behalf of mrh19805:
          >>
          >> I use windows and was thinking about swiching to linux, but I wasn't
          >> sure how to set it up and how hard it is to use linux. Can someone help
          >> me?
          >>

          > I guess... that was your first steps... right?

          2 things:

          A: Use Google to find your local Linux Users Group

          Try these basic patterns:

          LUG Linux users group City_name_here

          LUG Linux users group University_or_college_name

          LUG Linux users group region_name_here
          .

          For example, I live near Detroit

          Using Google with: Detroit LUG Linux Users Group

          found me MDLUG (Metro Detroit Linux Users Group)
          and WSULUG (Wayne State University Linux Users Group)

          B: To learn about using Linux in an ultra-safe way (you
          literally can't "break" anything), download a copy
          of the Knoppix DVD, burn it, and boot it.

          Remember, the download will be a .iso file, which is
          a disk image. Do *NOT* create a directory with the
          knoppix.iso file in it, and then "save" the knoppix.iso
          to a DVD disk. Then you'll just have a DATA DVD with
          one file (knoppix.iso). Instead, you want to direct
          your DVD software to use the knoppix.iso as if it were
          a DVD copy itself. I can't be more specific than that
          because there is no standard DVD burner for Windows,
          and every yahoo out there uses his own terminology.

          Knoppix won't run as fast as something installed on
          your hard drive... *BUT* it will let your try out
          the user environment and many applications without
          fear of regret for "doing the wrong thing."

          Once you've decided that you like what you have
          used on Knoppix (only you want it to run faster),
          then contact your local LUG (Linux User Group) if
          you haven't already, and ask for some help with the
          installation.

          Make sure to make several partitions for the
          following purposes:

          Partition purpose
          / "root" fileysystem -- this is where
          the operating system goes.

          swap Microsoft's use of swap files instead of a
          1-16 GB swap partition is one of the several reasons
          why it is so slow (and filesystems corrupt
          so often).
          Virtual address space = memory on the motherboard
          + swap space

          Example: 2 GB main mem on motherboard
          + 6 GB swap space
          ---------------
          8 GB virtual memory

          This means that up to 8 GB of address space can
          be allocated simultaneously on your 2GB system
          without the OS crashing. Disk-space is cheap,
          so it's best to have a bit more than you need
          rather than a bit less.

          /var /var/log holds log files -- best to hav
          2GB them on their own partition in case a
          power outage causes filesystem corruption
          (it will be in /var instead of /).

          /tmp lots of writing goes on here. Again,
          1GB-4GB best to separate from the / in case a
          power outage causes corruption.

          /local files that you don't want overwritten
          5-20GB in an upgrade -- keeps you from having
          to save and restore everything in
          /local (I usually create a directory
          called /local/download, for all important
          downloads)

          /opt applications that don't come with the
          5-20 distribution -- again, to keep from being
          overwritten in an upgrade.

          /home Your personal files. Again, /home is not
          touched in an upgrade, so you want to store
          all of your work HERE ***NOT*** in the
          application directory like so many
          Microsoft-land applications encourage.
          (which has ALWAYS been a retarded practice--
          mixing executables and programmer data files
          with user-data files in the same directory).
        • Patrick O'Brien
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
            Hi,
            I have just today Installed S.U.S.E 11 but you can choose which
            Linux version
            you like to install , you can make a Dual Boot so you dont loose Windows
            I have only tried 2 linux versions SUSE and Ubuntu
            most of the linux are as easy to install as windows now
            as they have a user friendly graphic windows and are mostly automatic
            they just prompt you to choose lang and keyboard type
            and to enter your name

            You can download any help docs or the home website or just choose the
            HELP page
            or get a book from your lending library i got a cheap book off ebay
            Dummies SUSE LINUX also bought LINUX IN EASY STEPS
            also i joined the Yahoo Groups for linux there are dedicated groups for
            each version
            ie Ubuntu and SUSE

            I would really give LINUX a very good try
            also it FREE
            hope you enjoy , try and find another local ham linux user
            and download what ever version of linux that he uses
            so that when you ask him a question he should be able to
            help you as you will BOTH be running the same linux version

            sorry for the long reply
            patrick gw1sxn
            Aaron Kulkis wrote:
            > On behalf of mrh19805:
            >
            > I use windows and was thinking about swiching to linux, but I wasn't
            > sure how to set it up and how hard it is to use linux. Can someone help
            > me?

          • mark
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
              Thanks for the info I will give it a try. Linux seems like such a different animal go get use to using

              Mark H.

              Aaron Kulkis wrote:
              > On behalf of mrh19805:
              >
              > I use windows and was thinking about swiching to linux, but I wasn't
              > sure how to set it up and how hard it is to use linux. Can someone help
              > me?

            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
                not really that different from changing from msdos to win 3.1 or win95
                win98 to xp or xp pro or vista lol
                patrick

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
                  mark wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info I will give it a try. Linux seems like such a different animal go get use to using

                  It is.
                  Less emphasis on flashiness, and more emphasis on the fundamentals
                  of computer science -- only after these 4 things are fulfilled
                  is effort put into "bells and whistles"
                  (KDE version 4 being a notable, and much lamented
                  exception -- to the point that most of the KDE user
                  base now HATES the KDE 4 project leader, and it is
                  doubtful that he will ever be trusted with another
                  large project ever again, and...one of the nice
                  things about Open Source... since the KDE 3 source
                  code will always still be available, it's likely that
                  if the KDE 4 team doesn't get the problems fixed, a
                  new group of people will maintain the KDE 3 code until
                  such time that someone with better sense heads up the
                  KDE 5 project.)

                  CORRECTNESS (functions and programs don't return "wrong answers",
                  and if given incorrect data, return with an error.
                  One of the biggest problems in MS-land to this day is
                  KEEPING the behavior of OS-level bugs which return
                  certain values to out-of-bounds input values -- some
                  of these anomalies date back to the 1980's, so there
                  is 30 years of accumulated CRAP in the kernel, so as
                  to return the "proper wrong value" when legacy software
                  is being executed.
                  If Microsoft had done bounds-checking from the beginning,
                  they wouldn't have this problem, which contributes
                  greatly to bloat, and unnecessary CPU loading.

                  STABILITY -- As a multi-user system, one person's program
                  should NEVER cause problems for another user's program --
                  especially by causing a system crash. Programs are isolated
                  from each other, and from the system. Program crashes are
                  "graceful" in that the only thing that crashes is that
                  program itself.

                  SECURITY: any user can install software, but ONLY TO HIS OWN
                  HOME DIRECTORY -- they can't install into "system software"
                  and the general "installed software" areas (such as /usr/bin)
                  because writing to /usr/bin requires administrative privileges.
                  This is why Linux is not plagued with "drive-by" all sorts of
                  virus installations -- Windows zealots say that the reason
                  viruses plague Windows and not Linux is because there are
                  more windows platforms -- but, by that same argument, the
                  vast majority of viruses attacking web servers should be
                  aimed at Linux + Apache (over 50% of web servers), and not
                  Windows + IIS (less than 15% of web servers ... the netcraft
                  stats are wrong, by the way, because many companies are
                  REQUIRED by contracts to serve their HOME PAGE on IIS,
                  (to artificially inflate the apparent usage of IIS)
                  however, most companies then serve all the rest of their
                  pages off of Apache, with the majority of those using Linux.
                  Considering how much network bandwidth the typical commercial
                  web-server is connected to, the absence of automated
                  attacks against Apache on Linux compared to many (different)
                  automated attacks against IIS on Windows indicates that
                  it's not a question of numbers, but of attacking that
                  operating system which is the "low hanging fruit" when
                  it comes to system security.

                  RELIABILITY: No putting ALL of the system configuration
                  settings into one, giant, CORRUPTIBLE database (which can
                  ALSO be corrupted if the underlying filesystem is corrupted)
                  with arcane "magic number" values. On ALL Unix-style systems,
                  configurations are kept in plain old text files--so that
                  the dozens of standard text editors and text-processing
                  tools available on the platform can be used to modify the
                  configuration files-- and to INCREASE the reliability
                  factor, all configuration files are human-readable,
                  and usually contain comments WITHIN THE FILE ITSELF.
                  (some notable exceptions: /etc/fstab and /etc/cron both
                  have extensive on-line manual pages to tell you everything
                  you could possibly want to know about these files...as
                  do many others which are fully commented within themselves.)
                  Whereas the Unix/Linux style configuration files are specifically
                  made to facilitate copying configuration settings (especially
                  application configutions) from one machine to another,
                  the Registry is designed to PREVENT THAT. This is so that
                  software vendors can force computer owners to go through the
                  whole installation process for each new machine they put the
                  software on (because it's impossible to copy "only the
                  Application-X" parts of the registry) -- MS has a bad habit
                  of making YOUR COMPUTER to be more beneficial to others
                  than to you!
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
                    Patrick wrote:
                    > not really that different from changing from msdos to win 3.1 or win95
                    > win98 to xp or xp pro or vista lol

                    Excellant point.

                    And unlike with Windows, your "prior knowledge" doesn't get
                    flushed down the drain every time MS comes up with yet another
                    "paradigm change" and pulls the rug out from under you and
                    replaces most of your known techniques and work-methods with
                    a whole new set of incompatible techniques and work-methods.