Re: [SUSE Linux Users] WINE HQ

  • Michael Ashburn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
      Try virtual machine (do a google) I run it on my Uuntu systems and works great. One draw back - you will need to install Windows XP from a CD and then run as a virtual machine but it works great.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
        My bad - I meant virtual box. (Trying to do too many things at once and none of them well). :)

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
          the_supernegro wrote:
          > Hello you all fellows in the Suse faith...I want to install MS Windows XP in my Suse Linux 11.1, because there's some web-design applications that I couln't find in Linux. I read about "Wine HQ", but when I go to the page there something like mirror for Suse 11.1, and some folders with scripts appear. I'm a graphic screen guy and the scripts are not my strong area. Is Wine have a easier way to install?, ..you know, like folder with the "install" exec. and that's it?

          First, you dont' install XP or any other operating system
          inside SuSE. Wine is a windows application layer which
          provides the proper hooks for system calls for windows
          executables and/or dll's, and makes the program run AS IF
          it were on a Windows machine.

          if you want to actually INSTALL XP, then look at the various
          virtual machine technologies, such as VMWare, XEN, or Bochs.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
            Michael Ashburn wrote:
            > My bad - I meant virtual box. (Trying to do too many things at once and none of them well). :)

            Personal note (and not just regarding posting to this list)
            you need to fix that.

            Suppose you had 3 employees.

            You assign them a bunch of tasks this morning
            At the end of the day, 2 of them have about 50% of their
            assignments done, and done properly.

            Total progress: 50%

            The other one has all of his tasks completed...except,
            each one is not done properly, so ALL of them have to
            be done all over again.

            Total progress: 0

            Lesson--doing something not-well is worse than not
            even doing it at all.
          • Michael Ashburn
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
              Thank you Aaron - your admonition is noted. You have reminded me why I rarely, if ever post to this list.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                Michael Ashburn wrote:
                > Thank you Aaron - your admonition is noted. You have reminded me why I rarely, if ever post to this list.

                If you want to be wishy-washy all of your life, that's on you.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                  Michael Ashburn wrote:
                  > Thank you Aaron - your admonition is noted. You have reminded me why I rarely, if ever post to this list.

                  1. Bullshit. There's only been ONE instance of anyone
                  being admonished on this list within the last few years,
                  and that was the doofus who refused to keep his line
                  lengths to something reasonable (60-70 characters) so
                  that people who receive this list by e-mail could
                  interact with him without having the burden of
                  manually inserting newlines and attribution marks (> )
                  in every paragraph of what he posted.

                  2. If you want to be wishy-washy all of your life, that's on you.

                  > ________________________________

                • Mr. and Mrs.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                    The point is to Encourage people to post and discuss
                    -Not to Discourage people.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                      Mr. and Mrs. wrote:
                      > The point is to Encourage people to post and discuss
                      > -Not to Discourage people.

                      Wrong. Quality trumps quantity.

                      There are good quality posts, mediocre posts, and
                      really poor posts. Poor posts DESTROY a list, because
                      the more experienced, knowledgeable people on the
                      list feel that their time is being wasted.

                      This is an advice list.
                      I advised the guy to do things well, instead of half-assed.

                      If he can't handle that -- I have NO PROBLEM if he doesn't
                      want to post. People who post half-assed questions cause
                      a lot needless effort on everyone else's part to figure out
                      what's going on -- they expect everyone ELSE to carry the
                      load and pick up after them.

                      If people like that don't ask questions -- good!

                      NOBODY who is trying to help someone wants to write
                      out several messages, and then get blindsided with
                      some obvious piece of information which the person
                      asking for help left out because he's...a lazy jackass.

                      THAT sort of thing eventually destroys the morale and
                      helpfulness of those who are most able to help others

                      Anybody who doesn't know how to ask a qood question,
                      read Eric S. Raymond's essay on the subject, and
                      adapt the rules accordingly to whatever list you
                      are on:

                      How To Ask Smart Questions
                    • Michael Ashburn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                        My inclination has been not to follow through with this childish (YES I said CHILDISH bickering) But against my better judgement I will make one last comment.

                        I posted in response to a gentleman's request for assistance running Windows XP using WINE - something you can't do. I run a half dozen different version of Linux and Unix and have been working in the UNIX world since 1982 so I know a few things about the beast.

                        Obviously the answer to the problem was he needs to run Windows XP as a virtual machine. Since I have some experinece in doing precisely that using VirtualBox I did a quick reply. I inadvertantly suggested virtual machine as an answer to his dilema when I meant to say virtualbox and suggested he google it. I immediately noticed after posting the reply that I had made a mistake and replied to my own post that I meant virtual box. I then attempted a little levity and self deprication by explaining the mistake as trying to do too many things at once. NOTE - I work in IT for a living and as anyone knows who work in this field you do a thing called multi-tasking.

                        It was this response that prompted the sage words of advise. If you read your comments below you have it all backwords. I was the one trying to help - Not asking for help.

                        Now to quote a great American - This is more explaining than I have done in years - it won't happen again.

                        My apologies to the rest of the list for subjecting you all to this nonsensical stream of gibberish. Let's all drop it and move on to healping each other in the spirit this group is intended for.

                        ________________________________
                        > The point is to Encourage people to post and discuss
                        > -Not to Discourage people.

                        Wrong. Quality trumps quantity.

                        There are good quality posts, mediocre posts, and
                        really poor posts. Poor posts DESTROY a list, because
                        the more experienced, knowledgeable people on the
                        list feel that their time is being wasted.

                        This is an advice list.
                        I advised the guy to do things well, instead of half-assed.

                        If he can't handle that -- I have NO PROBLEM if he doesn't
                        want to post. People who post half-assed questions cause
                        a lot needless effort on everyone else's part to figure out
                        what's going on -- they expect everyone ELSE to carry the
                        load and pick up after them.

                        If people like that don't ask questions -- good!

                        NOBODY who is trying to help someone wants to write
                        out several messages, and then get blindsided with
                        some obvious piece of information which the person
                        asking for help left out because he's...a lazy jackass.

                        THAT sort of thing eventually destroys the morale and
                        helpfulness of those who are most able to help others

                        Anybody who doesn't know how to ask a qood question,
                        read Eric S. Raymond's essay on the subject, and
                        adapt the rules accordingly to whatever list you
                        are on:

                        How To Ask Smart Questions
                        <http://www.catb org/~esr/ faqs/smart- questions. html>

                      • Mr. and Mrs.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
                          I agree with Michael. I think enough time has been wasted on this nonsense. So I will close this stupid discussion with the following...
                          It is wrong to place structure and context above the question. This group exists to help people make the most of SuSe. If we criticize the people who post questions simply because their format of communication does not fit our personal guidelines then all we end up doing is driving people away.
                          Personally I don't care how people ask the question- so long as feel comfortable doing so. Not everyone is savy and articulate.
                          Now lets put this one to bed.