Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Driver for Lexmark x3550

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
      the_supernegro wrote:
      > Hello my fellows I need to instal this expecific driver in my Suse
      > 11.0 open. Is anybody knows where I can find it?
      >
      > LEXMARK X3550 ready to instal and start printing :-)

      Two questions:
      1. Are you using CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) and have
      all of the CUPS packages installed?

      2. Have you checked the Lexmark site?
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "the_supernegro"
        <the_supernegro@...> wrote:

        > Hello my fellows I need to instal this expecific driver in my Suse
        > 11.0 open. Is anybody knows where I can find it?
        >
        > LEXMARK X3550 ready to instal and start printing :-)

        According to the database at
        http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3550 this
        printer is a "paperweight."

        ie. There are currently no working drivers for it either OSS or
        proprietary....

        You should always check out any printers you plan to buy at that site...

        Gary
      • electroaimant
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <happyrat1@...> wrote:

          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "the_supernegro"
          > <the_supernegro@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello my fellows I need to instal this expecific driver in my Suse
          > > 11.0 open. Is anybody knows where I can find it?
          > >
          > > LEXMARK X3550 ready to instal and start printing :-)
          > >

          > According to the database at
          > http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3550 this
          > printer is a "paperweight."
          >
          > ie. There are currently no working drivers for it either OSS or
          > proprietary....
          >
          > You should always check out any printers you plan to buy at that site...
          >
          > Gary

          Hello there supernegro,

          is it a laser? I ask since the control bits of lexmark lasers are old
          hp bits, and i heard people run their lexmarks using the hp drivers.

          Grey
        • James Freer
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
            2009/2/9 Gary <happyrat1@...>:
            > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "the_supernegro"
            > <the_supernegro@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello my fellows I need to instal this expecific driver in my Suse
            >> 11.0 open. Is anybody knows where I can find it?
            >>
            >> LEXMARK X3550 ready to instal and start printing :-)
            >>

            > According to the database at
            > http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3550 this
            > printer is a "paperweight."
            >
            > ie. There are currently no working drivers for it either OSS or
            > proprietary....
            >
            > You should always check out any printers you plan to buy at that site...
            >
            > Gary

            Well thanks

            That is what i said - in a slightly kinder way!

            james
          • the_supernegro
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
              --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, James Freer <jessejazza@...> wrote:

              > 2009/2/9 Gary <happyrat1@...>:
              > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "the_supernegro"
              > > <the_supernegro@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Hello my fellows I need to instal this expecific driver in my Suse
              > >> 11.0 open. Is anybody knows where I can find it?
              > >>
              > >> LEXMARK X3550 ready to instal and start printing :-)
              > >>

              > > According to the database at
              > > http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3550 this
              > > printer is a "paperweight."
              > >
              > > ie. There are currently no working drivers for it either OSS or
              > > proprietary....
              > >
              > > You should always check out any printers you plan to buy at that
              site...

              > > Gary
              >
              > Well thanks
              >
              > That is what i said - in a slightly kinder way!
              >
              > james

              Thank You all for your comments and links, I was reading the webpages
              suggested and It's true there's not (for the moment) linux drive for
              that printer. Hope soon there's a driver for this model. I'm checking
              all stuff that I have in windows to change to Suse linux because my
              migration is slow but final. :-)

              Once again thank you all... soon ... more questions about linux

              Your friendly neighbor
              efra [the_supernegro]
            • robert bowman
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
                On Monday 09 February 2009 14:12:26 Efra wrote:
                > Thank You all for your comments and links, I was reading the webpages
                > suggested and It's true there's not (for the moment) linux drive for
                > that printer. Hope soon there's a driver for this model.

                Good luck. I bought a Lexmark Z55 since CostCo was essentially giving it away
                after the coupon and rebates. There was one driver that sort of worked, but
                not very well. It's now discontinued and I don't think there ever was a
                specific driver for it. Lexmark might as well have a Windows label on their
                products.
              • James Freer
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                  2009/2/10 robert bowman <bowman@...>:
                  > On Monday 09 February 2009 14:12:26 Efra wrote:
                  >> Thank You all for your comments and links, I was reading the webpages
                  >> suggested and It's true there's not (for the moment) linux drive for
                  >> that printer. Hope soon there's a driver for this model.
                  >
                  > Good luck. I bought a Lexmark Z55 since CostCo was essentially giving it away
                  > after the coupon and rebates. There was one driver that sort of worked, but
                  > not very well. It's now discontinued and I don't think there ever was a
                  > specific driver for it. Lexmark might as well have a Windows label on their
                  > products.

                  It is a bit of a minefield as they say. I was given a Xerox scanner
                  recently... Xerox printers work with linux but not their scanners. I
                  found the same with my HP PSC500 - printer works on linux but not the
                  scanner. someone said to me that HP hardware always works on linux -
                  not true. All one can do is keep windoze as dual boot [no connection
                  to internet to avoid viruses] just to run the odd bit of hardware when
                  necessary.

                  james
                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                    --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, James Freer <jessejazza@...> wrote:

                    > 2009/2/10 robert bowman <bowman@...>:
                    > > On Monday 09 February 2009 14:12:26 Efra wrote:
                    > >> Thank You all for your comments and links, I was reading the webpages
                    > >> suggested and It's true there's not (for the moment) linux drive for
                    > >> that printer. Hope soon there's a driver for this model.
                    > >
                    > > Good luck. I bought a Lexmark Z55 since CostCo was essentially
                    giving it away
                    > > after the coupon and rebates. There was one driver that sort of
                    worked, but
                    > > not very well. It's now discontinued and I don't think there ever
                    was a
                    > > specific driver for it. Lexmark might as well have a Windows label
                    on their
                    > > products.
                    >
                    > It is a bit of a minefield as they say. I was given a Xerox scanner
                    > recently... Xerox printers work with linux but not their scanners. I
                    > found the same with my HP PSC500 - printer works on linux but not the
                    > scanner. someone said to me that HP hardware always works on linux -
                    > not true. All one can do is keep windoze as dual boot [no connection
                    > to internet to avoid viruses] just to run the odd bit of hardware when
                    > necessary.
                    >
                    > james

                    Here's a few links to check out before buying any hardware...

                    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

                    http://www.sane-project.org/

                    http://www.linuxsecurity.com.br/info/unix/winmodem.html

                    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

                    http://linux-laptop.net/

                    http://www.linux-usb.org/

                    They all run databases of what hardware's known to work and which ones
                    don't.

                    It also pays to Google before you sink any cash into any particular
                    piece of hardware...

                    Gary
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                      James Freer wrote:
                      > 2009/2/10 robert bowman <bowman@...>:
                      >> On Monday 09 February 2009 14:12:26 Efra wrote:
                      >>> Thank You all for your comments and links, I was reading the webpages
                      >>> suggested and It's true there's not (for the moment) linux drive for
                      >>> that printer. Hope soon there's a driver for this model.
                      >> Good luck. I bought a Lexmark Z55 since CostCo was essentially giving it away
                      >> after the coupon and rebates. There was one driver that sort of worked, but
                      >> not very well. It's now discontinued and I don't think there ever was a
                      >> specific driver for it. Lexmark might as well have a Windows label on their
                      >> products.
                      >
                      > It is a bit of a minefield as they say. I was given a Xerox scanner
                      > recently... Xerox printers work with linux but not their scanners. I
                      > found the same with my HP PSC500 - printer works on linux but not the
                      > scanner. someone said to me that HP hardware always works on linux -
                      > not true. All one can do is keep windoze as dual boot [no connection
                      > to internet to avoid viruses] just to run the odd bit of hardware when
                      > necessary.

                      Go with BROTHER.

                      I have a printer/scanner/fax/copier... installed the drivers
                      (cups module, sane module, and BR-FAX) as directed on the
                      linux portion of their website, and everything worked perfectly.

                      On that advice, a friend purchased another model of Brother
                      (after his first purchase of an Epson wasn't well-supported),
                      and has only one minor issue (can't print to 4x6 sheets from
                      the computer, but CAN still do so via memory card inserted
                      into the pic-bridge)
                    • Gary
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

                        > James Freer wrote:
                        > >> Good luck. I bought a Lexmark Z55 since CostCo was essentially
                        giving it away
                        > >> after the coupon and rebates. There was one driver that sort of
                        worked, but
                        > >> not very well. It's now discontinued and I don't think there ever
                        was a
                        > >> specific driver for it. Lexmark might as well have a Windows
                        label on their
                        > >> products.
                        > >
                        > > It is a bit of a minefield as they say. I was given a Xerox scanner
                        > > recently... Xerox printers work with linux but not their scanners. I
                        > > found the same with my HP PSC500 - printer works on linux but not the
                        > > scanner. someone said to me that HP hardware always works on linux -
                        > > not true. All one can do is keep windoze as dual boot [no connection
                        > > to internet to avoid viruses] just to run the odd bit of hardware when
                        > > necessary.
                        > >

                        > Go with BROTHER.
                        >
                        > I have a printer/scanner/fax/copier... installed the drivers
                        > (cups module, sane module, and BR-FAX) as directed on the
                        > linux portion of their website, and everything worked perfectly.
                        >
                        > On that advice, a friend purchased another model of Brother
                        > (after his first purchase of an Epson wasn't well-supported),
                        > and has only one minor issue (can't print to 4x6 sheets from
                        > the computer, but CAN still do so via memory card inserted
                        > into the pic-bridge)

                        As far as personal choices go, I love lasers and I love Samsungs.
                        They ship with proprietary Linux drivers for full functionalty and
                        they have also open sourced the interfaces so there's plenty of OSS
                        CUPS drivers out there that work just fine.

                        For color work I have a CLP-300 and for B&W printing I have a
                        SCX-4521F both shared on my network and ready to handle any kind of
                        printing job I can throw at them.

                        I'll never waste another dime on an inkjet. Buggy drivers, expensive
                        ink and clogged heads make them more trouble than they're worth...
                      • robert bowman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                          On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:04:49 Gary wrote:
                          > As far as personal choices go, I love lasers and I love Samsungs.
                          > They ship with proprietary Linux drivers for full functionalty and
                          > they have also open sourced the interfaces so there's plenty of OSS
                          > CUPS drivers out there that work just fine.

                          I recently replaced the Lexmark POS with a CLP-315. Part of the attraction was
                          the $100 price tag after rebate, but I was really pleased to see that the
                          installation media had a Linux setup. Very painless.

                          I print very seldom, and the Lexmark cartridges were invariably clogged
                          whenever I wanted to print. After nursing them back from the dead with
                          ammonia a couple of times, I decided lasers were the way to go. Since what I
                          usually print are topo maps, color was almost a necessity but they were a
                          little more than I wanted to spend for a few maps a year. The Samsung solved
                          all problems.
                        • Gary
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
                            --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, robert bowman <bowman@...> wrote:

                            > On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:04:49 Gary wrote:
                            > > As far as personal choices go, I love lasers and I love Samsungs.
                            > > They ship with proprietary Linux drivers for full functionalty and
                            > > they have also open sourced the interfaces so there's plenty of OSS
                            > > CUPS drivers out there that work just fine.
                            >
                            > I recently replaced the Lexmark POS with a CLP-315. Part of the
                            attraction was
                            > the $100 price tag after rebate, but I was really pleased to see
                            that the
                            > installation media had a Linux setup. Very painless.
                            >
                            > I print very seldom, and the Lexmark cartridges were invariably clogged
                            > whenever I wanted to print. After nursing them back from the dead with
                            > ammonia a couple of times, I decided lasers were the way to go.
                            Since what I
                            > usually print are topo maps, color was almost a necessity but they
                            were a
                            > little more than I wanted to spend for a few maps a year. The
                            Samsung solved
                            > all problems.

                            Plus if you use aftermarket toners like I do, your cost per page drops
                            from $0.45 per page for a typical inkjet to between $0.05 and $0.10
                            per page for a color laser...

                            I agree, I think the CLP-3XX series are marvelous color lasers with
                            plenty of bang for the buck!

                            Likewise my SCX-4521F all in one handles scanning and faxing and
                            photocopying as well all for less than $0.02 per page...

                            Frankly I dunno why anyone in his right mind wastes their money on an
                            inkjet these days...

                            Laser baby!!! It's the ONLY way to go :)