SUSE Linux 11 Question

  • Mr. and Mrs.
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4 10:43 AM
      Can someone do a review for us of the new release? How does it compare
      to the older version? (etc, etc, etc)
      -thomp830
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 11:36 AM
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. and Mrs." <thomp830@...>
        wrote:

        > Can someone do a review for us of the new release? How does it compare
        > to the older version? (etc, etc, etc)
        > -thomp830

        Not a thorough review but here goes nothing.

        Overall the only things that stand out above 10.3 is that YaST package
        management is MUCH quicker now, in fact BLINDINGLY FAST. A few bug
        fixes. A few bugs added, notably when YaST package manager asks for a
        SuSE DVD that's not already in the drive, it doesn't recognize it when
        you hit the retry button. Workaround is to abort install, say yes you
        wish to install more packages, insert the disk then click accept again.

        Other than that the only thing of note is that they bundled both KDE 3
        and KDE 4 with this version. Personally I prefer KDE 3 and haven't
        screwed around much with 4 though 90% of the updates coming in thru
        updater are KDE 4 updates. My thought is they should have left 4 out
        of the system until it was refined enough to be usable.

        One thing that annoyed me was they deprecated the KDE 3 weather applet
        which I used to use religiously and now it's only available in 4. Not
        a big enough change to make me switch without kicking and screaming
        though.

        Also my advice is to not use the new SuSE Education software
        repository. Even on the site they say the 11.0 repo is still a beta
        and not stable yet. Using it results in lots of updater errors at
        random instances over the week.

        Off the top of my head that's pretty much all I can come up with. If
        you plan on upgrading I'd recommend it, but if you're updating a
        notebook with ndiswrapper keep an ethernet port handy cause chances
        are you will have to reinstall your wireless drivers afterwards. In
        my case it defaulted to trying the broadcom driver which has never
        worked worth a damn for me. :)
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 12:07 PM
          Mr. and Mrs. wrote:
          > Can someone do a review for us of the new release? How does it compare
          > to the older version? (etc, etc, etc)
          > -thomp830

          I went back to 10.3
        • Robert Kopp