Re: [SUSE Linux Users] configuring opensuse sound, grub

    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2008
      ravnone1 wrote:
      > No it isn't Aaron. What I have to say, some people want to read it enough to
      > buy it.
      > Are you in a bad mood? Did you have a bad day? I'm sorry if you did. Hope it
      > gets better for you soon.

      It's just pointless effort, to try to duplicate inane nonsense
      that you see in Hollywood movies.

      Like all of these stupid "case mods" which are nothing more than
      putting assorted decorative crap on a case, as if a computer
      case is a piece of jewelry. This is the software equivalent.
      (REAL case mods involve metal cutting/gringing/drilling/tapping
      tools, like something I recently did to up the airflow through
      a 1990's tower to get a few more years of use out of it, and put
      off spending $150+ for something which wouldn't fit my needs
      quite as well as the current one.)

      People who would be impressed by your computer saying "welcome
      back" when you start it up are shallow twits who you should avoid
      at all costs anyways.

      And if *YOU* need your computer to audibly say, "welcome back"
      when you log in...then you need psychological counseling even more.

      A computer is nothing more than a tool, like a wrench.

      If you saw someone wanting to spend time and effort to decorate
      the wrenches he uses to fix cars, you would think he has a
      screw loose, wouldn't you.

      > ravnone1
      >
      > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
      >
      >> ravnone1 wrote:
      >>> HI,
      >>> Sure I do. I'm currently writing an ebook. BUt I like ot tinker with my
      >> pc.
      >>> Nothing wrong with learning.
      >> It's just pointless Hollywoodism.
      >>
      >>> ravnone1

    • ravnone1
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2008
        Aaron,
        This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I just
        want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done that.
        I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with the
        'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do, for
        my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and I
        didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
        seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may come
        across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age. I'm also very curious
        about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
        Thanks anyway,
        Nina (Neena), ravnone1

        Message 3 of 25 , May 1, 2008
          ravnone1 wrote:
          > Aaron,
          > This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I just
          > want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done that.
          > I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with the
          > 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do, for
          > my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and I
          > didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
          > seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may come
          > across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.

          How old do you think I am?

          > I'm also very curious
          > about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
          > Thanks anyway,
          > Nina (Neena), ravnone1

        • ravnone1
          Message 4 of 25 , May 1, 2008
            you're yahoo profile says you're 26

            Message 5 of 25 , May 1, 2008
              ravnone1 wrote:
              > you're yahoo profile says you're 26

              That's disinformation.

              > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
              >
              >> ravnone1 wrote:
              >>> Aaron,
              >>> This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I
              >> just
              >>> want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done
              >> that.
              >>> I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with
              >> the
              >>> 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do,
              >> for
              >>> my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and
              >>> didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
              >>> seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may
              >> come
              >>> across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.
              >> How old do you think I am?
              >>
              >>> I'm also very curious
              >>> about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
              >>> Thanks anyway,
              >>> Nina (Neena), ravnone1

            • ravnone1
              Message 6 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                not a problem...

                On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

                > ravnone1 wrote:
                > > you're yahoo profile says you're 26
                > >

                > That's disinformation.
                >
                > > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...<akulkis00%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:

                > >> just
                > >> that.
                > >> the
                > do,
                > >> for
                > and
                > request
                > >> come
                > >> How old do you think I am?

              • ravnone1
                Message 7 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                  besides which, my ebook has nothing to do with the questions I asked. Just
                  in case you think it was.

                  On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM, ravnone1 <scotindin@...> wrote:

                  > not a problem...
                  >

                  > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > ravnone1 wrote:
                  > > > you're yahoo profile says you're 26
                  > > >

                  > > That's disinformation.

                  > > done
                  > > with
                  > > do,
                  > > and
                  > > request

                • Harold Hitchcock
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                    He's not 26 years old. He's the Cranky Old Man that sits on the
                    ventriloquist's knee!!

                    I've seen the wood that he's made from. It's from a 2000yr old Redwood tree.
                    :-)

                    _____

                    <mailto:akulkis00%40gmail.com> com> wrote:

                    > ravnone1 wrote:
                    > > Aaron,
                    > > This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I
                    > just
                    > > want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done
                    > that.
                    > > I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with
                    > the
                    > > 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do,
                    > for
                    > > my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and
                    > > didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
                    > > seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may
                    > come
                    > > across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.
                    >
                    > How old do you think I am?
                    >
                    > > I'm also very curious
                    > > about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
                    > > Thanks anyway,
                    > > Nina (Neena), ravnone1

                  • ravnone1
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                      roflmao

                      On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:43 AM, Harold Hitchcock <hhitchco@...>
                      wrote:

                      > He's not 26 years old. He's the Cranky Old Man that sits on the
                      > ventriloquist's knee!!
                      >
                      > I've seen the wood that he's made from. It's from a 2000yr old Redwood
                      > tree.
                      > :-)
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Mr. and Mrs.
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                        You kids better knock it off or so help me I'll turn this car around
                        and take you both straight home!
                      • Jim Carter
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                          Is there any wonder why this group is underutilized? Ravnone1 asked a
                          question which was not inappropriate but Aaron Kulkis immediately starts
                          berating the poster, completely ignoring the question.

                          People like Aaron make me sorry I devote any bandwidth or disk space to this
                          group; but then Mr. and Mrs. make it somewhat worthwhile after all.

                          Now I have to go spend time building a rule that lets the group though but
                          filters out Aaron.

                        • ravnone1
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                            Hi All,
                            I didn't mind the banter, although I was a little upset that my real
                            questions weren't answered. If Aaron doesn't have anything better to do,
                            that's ok. I'm still interested in an answer to my questions. Further more,
                            the reason for wanting to do this is because I think it would be neat to
                            learn how. It would amuse me, and I am soooo easily amused. lol
                            I promise to be good if you don't turn the car around, we just began this
                            journey.
                            ravnone1

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                              ravnone1 wrote:
                              > Hi All,
                              > I didn't mind the banter, although I was a little upset that my real
                              > questions weren't answered. If Aaron doesn't have anything better to do,
                              > that's ok. I'm still interested in an answer to my questions. Further more,
                              > the reason for wanting to do this is because I think it would be neat to
                              > learn how. It would amuse me, and I am soooo easily amused. lol
                              > I promise to be good if you don't turn the car around, we just began this
                              > journey.

                              Does your car say, "Welcome Back" when you put the key
                              in the ignition?

                              Why not?

                              Seriously...and I don't say this about many things, but
                              your quest here is a complete waste of time.

                              And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d
                            • ravnone1
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                Thank you.

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                  I'm sorry, daddy. Are you going to spank me again.......please, please,
                                  please !!

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                    I don't think you should filter out Aaron. He's probably the sharpest piece
                                    of barbwire in
                                    any of the SuSE forums. Of course, Godwin Stewart will give him a good
                                    run.........

                                    And this is fun ...... once in a while - granted - a GREAT while.....

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                      Ok- I'm confused...did Ravnonel ever get an answer to his question?

                                      --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Carter" <jim.carter@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Is there any wonder why this group is underutilized? Ravnone1 asked a
                                      > question which was not inappropriate but Aaron Kulkis immediately starts
                                      > berating the poster, completely ignoring the question.
                                      >
                                      > People like Aaron make me sorry I devote any bandwidth or disk space
                                      to this
                                      > group; but then Mr. and Mrs. make it somewhat worthwhile after all.
                                      >
                                      > Now I have to go spend time building a rule that lets the group
                                      though but
                                      > filters out Aaron.

                                    • ravnone1
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                        HI,
                                        Yes, in a sense ravnone1 did get an answer to her question. This is what I
                                        was told:
                                        ""And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d""
                                        So that is what I'm going to do, check it out.
                                        Thanks, ravnone1
                                        p.s. if there's more to it than that, please let me know.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                          ravnone1 wrote:
                                          > HI,
                                          > Yes, in a sense ravnone1 did get an answer to her question. This is what I
                                          > was told:
                                          > ""And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d""
                                          > So that is what I'm going to do, check it out.
                                          > Thanks, ravnone1

                                          And if that doesn't suit your needs, look at ~/.xinitrc

                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                            Hi,
                                            Thanks again. I'll look at both.
                                            ravnone1