configuring opensuse sound, grub

  • ravnone1
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2008
      Hi all,
      I'm running openSUSE 10.3 on a Toshiba satellite m20 laptop. I would
      like to tinker with it,and set up the sounds so that it will greet me
      when I turn it on, with the appropriate phrase as to time. "Good
      morning", or afternoon, etc. How can I do this?
      Also I'd like to tinker with grub, so that it says something like
      "Welcome back, ..."
      How can I do these two things? Thanks for any and all help.
      ravnone1
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2008
        ravnone1 wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I'm running openSUSE 10.3 on a Toshiba satellite m20 laptop. I would
        > like to tinker with it,and set up the sounds so that it will greet me
        > when I turn it on, with the appropriate phrase as to time. "Good
        > morning", or afternoon, etc. How can I do this?
        > Also I'd like to tinker with grub, so that it says something like
        > "Welcome back, ..."
        > How can I do these two things? Thanks for any and all help.
        > ravnone1

        Don't you have anything better to do with your time?
      • ravnone1
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1, 2008
          HI,
          Sure I do. I'm currently writing an ebook. BUt I like ot tinker with my pc.
          Nothing wrong with learning.
          ravnone1

          Message 4 of 25 , May 1, 2008
            ravnone1 wrote:
            > HI,
            > Sure I do. I'm currently writing an ebook. BUt I like ot tinker with my pc.
            > Nothing wrong with learning.

            It's just pointless Hollywoodism.

            Message 5 of 25 , May 1, 2008
              No it isn't Aaron. What I have to say, some people want to read it enough to
              buy it.
              Are you in a bad mood? Did you have a bad day? I'm sorry if you did. Hope it
              gets better for you soon.
              ravnone1

              Message 6 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                ravnone1 wrote:
                > No it isn't Aaron. What I have to say, some people want to read it enough to
                > buy it.
                > Are you in a bad mood? Did you have a bad day? I'm sorry if you did. Hope it
                > gets better for you soon.

                It's just pointless effort, to try to duplicate inane nonsense
                that you see in Hollywood movies.

                Like all of these stupid "case mods" which are nothing more than
                putting assorted decorative crap on a case, as if a computer
                case is a piece of jewelry. This is the software equivalent.
                (REAL case mods involve metal cutting/gringing/drilling/tapping
                tools, like something I recently did to up the airflow through
                a 1990's tower to get a few more years of use out of it, and put
                off spending $150+ for something which wouldn't fit my needs
                quite as well as the current one.)

                People who would be impressed by your computer saying "welcome
                back" when you start it up are shallow twits who you should avoid
                at all costs anyways.

                And if *YOU* need your computer to audibly say, "welcome back"
                when you log in...then you need psychological counseling even more.

                A computer is nothing more than a tool, like a wrench.

                If you saw someone wanting to spend time and effort to decorate
                the wrenches he uses to fix cars, you would think he has a
                screw loose, wouldn't you.

                Message 7 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                  Aaron,
                  This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I just
                  want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done that.
                  I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with the
                  'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do, for
                  my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and I
                  didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
                  seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may come
                  across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age. I'm also very curious
                  about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
                  Thanks anyway,
                  Nina (Neena), ravnone1

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                    ravnone1 wrote:
                    > Aaron,
                    > This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I just
                    > want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done that.
                    > I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with the
                    > 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do, for
                    > my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and I
                    > didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
                    > seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may come
                    > across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.

                    How old do you think I am?

                    > I'm also very curious
                    > about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
                    > Thanks anyway,
                    > Nina (Neena), ravnone1

                  • ravnone1
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                      you're yahoo profile says you're 26

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                        ravnone1 wrote:
                        > you're yahoo profile says you're 26

                        That's disinformation.

                        > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> ravnone1 wrote:
                        >>> Aaron,
                        >>> This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I
                        >> just
                        >>> want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done
                        >> that.
                        >>> I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with
                        >> the
                        >>> 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do,
                        >> for
                        >>> my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and
                        >>> didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
                        >>> seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may
                        >> come
                        >>> across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.
                        >> How old do you think I am?
                        >>
                        >>> I'm also very curious
                        >>> about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
                        >>> Thanks anyway,
                        >>> Nina (Neena), ravnone1

                      • ravnone1
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                          not a problem...

                          On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

                          > ravnone1 wrote:
                          > > you're yahoo profile says you're 26
                          > >

                          > That's disinformation.
                          >
                          > > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...<akulkis00%40gmail.com>>
                          > wrote:

                          > >> just
                          > >> that.
                          > >> the
                          > do,
                          > >> for
                          > and
                          > request
                          > >> come
                          > >> How old do you think I am?

                        • ravnone1
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                            besides which, my ebook has nothing to do with the questions I asked. Just
                            in case you think it was.

                            On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM, ravnone1 <scotindin@...> wrote:

                            > not a problem...
                            >

                            > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > ravnone1 wrote:
                            > > > you're yahoo profile says you're 26
                            > > >

                            > > That's disinformation.

                            > > done
                            > > with
                            > > do,
                            > > and
                            > > request

                          • Harold Hitchcock
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                              He's not 26 years old. He's the Cranky Old Man that sits on the
                              ventriloquist's knee!!

                              I've seen the wood that he's made from. It's from a 2000yr old Redwood tree.
                              :-)

                              _____

                              <mailto:akulkis00%40gmail.com> com> wrote:

                              > ravnone1 wrote:
                              > > Aaron,
                              > > This PC is in the privacy of my home. No one has access but me, and I
                              > just
                              > > want to tinker with it. As far the case you mentioned, been there done
                              > that.
                              > > I do my own modifications, upgrades and repairs. And my tinkering with
                              > the
                              > > 'welcome back', etc, it isn't from a movie. Just something I want to do,
                              > for
                              > > my own pleasure. Yes it is a tool. I use to repair my own vehicles, and
                              > > didn't decorate my wrenches, screwdrivers or other tools. If my request
                              > > seems frivolous to you, you don't have to answer my questions. I may
                              > come
                              > > across as a teen or whatever, but I'm twice your age.
                              >
                              > How old do you think I am?
                              >
                              > > I'm also very curious
                              > > about things, and I have ADHD. I will figure it out eventually.
                              > > Thanks anyway,
                              > > Nina (Neena), ravnone1

                            • ravnone1
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                roflmao

                                On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:43 AM, Harold Hitchcock <hhitchco@...>
                                wrote:

                                > He's not 26 years old. He's the Cranky Old Man that sits on the
                                > ventriloquist's knee!!
                                >
                                > I've seen the wood that he's made from. It's from a 2000yr old Redwood
                                > tree.
                                > :-)
                                >

                                > _____

                              • Mr. and Mrs.
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                  You kids better knock it off or so help me I'll turn this car around
                                  and take you both straight home!
                                • Jim Carter
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                    Is there any wonder why this group is underutilized? Ravnone1 asked a
                                    question which was not inappropriate but Aaron Kulkis immediately starts
                                    berating the poster, completely ignoring the question.

                                    People like Aaron make me sorry I devote any bandwidth or disk space to this
                                    group; but then Mr. and Mrs. make it somewhat worthwhile after all.

                                    Now I have to go spend time building a rule that lets the group though but
                                    filters out Aaron.

                                  • ravnone1
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                      Hi All,
                                      I didn't mind the banter, although I was a little upset that my real
                                      questions weren't answered. If Aaron doesn't have anything better to do,
                                      that's ok. I'm still interested in an answer to my questions. Further more,
                                      the reason for wanting to do this is because I think it would be neat to
                                      learn how. It would amuse me, and I am soooo easily amused. lol
                                      I promise to be good if you don't turn the car around, we just began this
                                      journey.
                                      ravnone1

                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                        ravnone1 wrote:
                                        > Hi All,
                                        > I didn't mind the banter, although I was a little upset that my real
                                        > questions weren't answered. If Aaron doesn't have anything better to do,
                                        > that's ok. I'm still interested in an answer to my questions. Further more,
                                        > the reason for wanting to do this is because I think it would be neat to
                                        > learn how. It would amuse me, and I am soooo easily amused. lol
                                        > I promise to be good if you don't turn the car around, we just began this
                                        > journey.

                                        Does your car say, "Welcome Back" when you put the key
                                        in the ignition?

                                        Why not?

                                        Seriously...and I don't say this about many things, but
                                        your quest here is a complete waste of time.

                                        And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d
                                      • ravnone1
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                          Thank you.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                            I'm sorry, daddy. Are you going to spank me again.......please, please,
                                            please !!

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                                              I don't think you should filter out Aaron. He's probably the sharpest piece
                                              of barbwire in
                                              any of the SuSE forums. Of course, Godwin Stewart will give him a good
                                              run.........

                                              And this is fun ...... once in a while - granted - a GREAT while.....

                                              _____

                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                                Ok- I'm confused...did Ravnonel ever get an answer to his question?

                                                --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Carter" <jim.carter@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > Is there any wonder why this group is underutilized? Ravnone1 asked a
                                                > question which was not inappropriate but Aaron Kulkis immediately starts
                                                > berating the poster, completely ignoring the question.
                                                >
                                                > People like Aaron make me sorry I devote any bandwidth or disk space
                                                to this
                                                > group; but then Mr. and Mrs. make it somewhat worthwhile after all.
                                                >
                                                > Now I have to go spend time building a rule that lets the group
                                                though but
                                                > filters out Aaron.

                                              • ravnone1
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                                  HI,
                                                  Yes, in a sense ravnone1 did get an answer to her question. This is what I
                                                  was told:
                                                  ""And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d""
                                                  So that is what I'm going to do, check it out.
                                                  Thanks, ravnone1
                                                  p.s. if there's more to it than that, please let me know.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                                    ravnone1 wrote:
                                                    > HI,
                                                    > Yes, in a sense ravnone1 did get an answer to her question. This is what I
                                                    > was told:
                                                    > ""And it's trivial to do. Investigate /etc/init.d""
                                                    > So that is what I'm going to do, check it out.
                                                    > Thanks, ravnone1

                                                    And if that doesn't suit your needs, look at ~/.xinitrc

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                                                      Hi,
                                                      Thanks again. I'll look at both.
                                                      ravnone1