Xen on Suse Linux 10.0 problem

  • ham_en_cheese
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2007
      Hello, I'm new here. I was forwarded to this mailing list to get help
      on my problem. I hope you can help.

      I'm new to Linux and I installed Suse 10.0 on my Toshiba Protege
      laptop. Normal boot is ok but when I try to boot in Xen (which I
      checked during OS installation), the system reboots by itself. The
      screen scrolls very quick before I can see what's happening but I
      managed to get some of the final messages before it reboots (not
      entirely sure if I got every word correct)..

      Scrubbing Free RAM.....
      Serial input -> Dom 0 type Ctrl a three times to switch input to Xen
      Domain 0 shutdown Rebooting machine

      My boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows:

      title XEN
      root (hd0,5)
      kernel /boot/xen.gz
      module /boot/vmlinuz-xen root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x317 selinux=0
      resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
      module /boot/initrd-xen

      Can anyone help? Let me know how I could provide more info if needed.

      Thanks so much,
      Chris
    • ham_en_cheese
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2007
        Hello just resending this..

        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "ham_en_cheese"
        <chris.ismael@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I'm new here. I was forwarded to this mailing list to get help
        > on my problem. I hope you can help.
        >
        > I'm new to Linux and I installed Suse 10.0 on my Toshiba Protege
        > laptop. Normal boot is ok but when I try to boot in Xen (which I
        > checked during OS installation), the system reboots by itself. The
        > screen scrolls very quick before I can see what's happening but I
        > managed to get some of the final messages before it reboots (not
        > entirely sure if I got every word correct)..
        >
        > Scrubbing Free RAM.....
        > Serial input -> Dom 0 type Ctrl a three times to switch input to Xen
        > Domain 0 shutdown Rebooting machine
        >
        > My boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows:
        >
        > title XEN
        > root (hd0,5)
        > kernel /boot/xen.gz
        > module /boot/vmlinuz-xen root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x317 selinux=0
        > resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
        > module /boot/initrd-xen
        >
        > Can anyone help? Let me know how I could provide more info if needed.
        >
        > Thanks so much,
        > Chris

      • Nico Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
          Hi Ham

          Are you trying to use Virtualization ?
          I had problems in that it would not work with my DualCore CPU in my laptop.

          So I downloaded VMwave GSX Server (Its free and you get a free license)
          Now I have Windows XP running on my SUSE 10.3 as a virtualization

          Nico

          ham_en_cheese wrote:

          > Hello, I'm new here. I was forwarded to this mailing list to get help
          > on my problem. I hope you can help.
          >
          > I'm new to Linux and I installed Suse 10.0 on my Toshiba Protege
          > laptop. Normal boot is ok but when I try to boot in Xen (which I
          > checked during OS installation), the system reboots by itself. The
          > screen scrolls very quick before I can see what's happening but I
          > managed to get some of the final messages before it reboots (not
          > entirely sure if I got every word correct)..
          >
          > Scrubbing Free RAM.....
          > Serial input -> Dom 0 type Ctrl a three times to switch input to Xen
          > Domain 0 shutdown Rebooting machine
          >
          > My boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows:
          >
          > title XEN
          > root (hd0,5)
          > kernel /boot/xen.gz
          > module /boot/vmlinuz-xen root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x317 selinux=0
          > resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
          > module /boot/initrd-xen
          >
          > Can anyone help? Let me know how I could provide more info if needed.
          >
          > Thanks so much,
          > Chris

          Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
          http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4
        • chris ismael
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
            Hi Nico,

            Thanks for your reply. Yes I am trying the Virtualization. Oh you
            mean it has to do with Dual Core? Never thought about that. I am
            keen on using Xen so I'm still hoping I can make it work.

            Has anyone else experienced this on Dual Core?

            Thanks,
            Chris