RE: [opensuse] Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Help getting MySQL to work

  • Harold Hitchcock
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
      -----Original Message-----
      From: suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Aaron Kulkis
      Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:58 PM
      To: suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com; opensuse@...
      Subject: Re: [opensuse] Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Help getting MySQL to work

      Aaron Kulkis wrote:

      <big snip>

      Whoops, wrong list.
      ---------------------------------------

      Nah, it's not. Some things need to be said may times, many ways
      until these message sinks in. Happens on this list too...

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • David Adams
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
        This has to be the best pointer I ever picked up from this group. Thanks!

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
          I did not know where to read these things ,
          thanks for the links

          Nico
          Aaron Kulkis wrote:
          > Nico Michael wrote:
          >
          >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

          >>> It's in the documentation. Read it.
          >>>

          >> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
          >> what the default password is when YAST installed it
          >>

          > Why would YAST change the default password?
          >
          > You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
          >
          > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
          >
          > The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
          > directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
          > for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
          > and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
          > script also creates privilege table entries for root and
          > anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
          > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          > initially. A description of their initial privileges is
          > ^^^^^^^^^
          > given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
          > Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
          > user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
          > databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
          >
          > Section 2.10.3 is here:
          > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
          >

          > That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
          > refuse to do any work to help yourself.
          >
          > Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
          > someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
          > so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.

          Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
          http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/1
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
            Nico Michael wrote:

            > Nico
            > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
            >> Nico Michael wrote:

            >>> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
            >>> what the default password is when YAST installed it
            >>>

            >> Why would YAST change the default password?
            >>
            >> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
            >>
            >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
            >>
            >> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
            >> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
            >> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
            >> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
            >> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
            >> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
            >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            >> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
            >> ^^^^^^^^^
            >> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
            >> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
            >> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
            >> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
            >>
            >> Section 2.10.3 is here:
            >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
            >>

            >> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
            >> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
            >>
            >> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
            >> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
            >> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
            >>

            > I did not know where to read these things ,
            > thanks for the links

            All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
            willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
            more than willing to help you.

            For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
            for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
            very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
            you probably would have then realized that you could
            very easily find it yourself with Google.

            As someone playing around with a database server,
            I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
            past "computing newbie" level that you can read
            basic documentation for yourself.

            In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
            to find out if anyone has already written an answer
            to your question.

            For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
            (http://www.google.com/linux).

            Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
            for which the answer is already out there, and
            easy to find.

            And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
            then many times you will find the answer MUCH
            more quickly than it will be provided to you by
            anyone on this or any other list.
          • Nico Michael
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
              Hi Aron

              Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
              purchased two books:
              MySQL in a Nutshell
              and
              MySQL Reference Manual

              Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
              first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

              Nico

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                Nico,

                Not all of us are anal about what questions you are allowed to ask, and Aaron is free to
                ignore any questions that are not up to his standards.

                So, ask away. The worst we can do is ignore you. ;^) (That might just mean we don't know
                the answer and are hoping someone else will.)

                David

                Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                > Nico Michael wrote:
                >

                >> Nico
                >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                >>> Why would YAST change the default password?
                >>>
                >>> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                >>>
                >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                >>>
                >>> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                >>> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                >>> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                >>> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                >>> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                >>> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                >>> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                >>> ^^^^^^^^^
                >>> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                >>> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                >>> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                >>> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                >>>
                >>> Section 2.10.3 is here:
                >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                >>>

                >>> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                >>> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                >>>
                >>> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                >>> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                >>> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                >>>

                > > I did not know where to read these things ,
                > > thanks for the links
                > >

                > All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
                > willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
                > more than willing to help you.
                >
                > For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
                > for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
                > very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
                > you probably would have then realized that you could
                > very easily find it yourself with Google.
                >

                > As someone playing around with a database server,
                > I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
                > past "computing newbie" level that you can read
                > basic documentation for yourself.
                >
                > In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
                > to find out if anyone has already written an answer
                > to your question.
                >
                > For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
                > (http://www.google.com/linux).
                >

                > Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
                > for which the answer is already out there, and
                > easy to find.
                >
                > And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
                > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
                > then many times you will find the answer MUCH
                > more quickly than it will be provided to you by
                > anyone on this or any other list.

                Be a better pen pal.
              • Steve Tabler
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                  Nico,

                  That sounds like a good start. I have dabbled a bit with MySQL.

                  I have 2 books:

                  MySQL & mSQL by Yarger, Reese, & King (O'Relly)

                  and

                  MySQL by Paul DuBois (New Riders)

                  Both of my copies are a bit dated, but of the two, I prefer the DuBois book.
                  I also consult the online documentation from the MySQL site,
                  especially if I am looking at something that might be version-dependent.

                  Good luck!
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                    Nico Michael wrote:
                    > Hi Aron
                    >
                    > Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
                    > purchased two books:
                    > MySQL in a Nutshell
                    > and
                    > MySQL Reference Manual
                    >
                    > Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
                    > first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

                    Good choices, I would think. Everything from O'Reilly is good.

                    There's BIG pdf file on the MySQL documentation web pages (the
                    PDF is about 500-700 pages). I bought the 5.0 version in printed
                    form for about US $50 (24 months ago). Download the one for
                    whatever version of MySQL that you're running. It's very helpful.

                    For as far as I got in the book (before being activated to
                    go to Baghdad for a year), I was able to follow it and learn
                    from it. I took it with me to Baghdad, now I'm just waiting
                    for it to arrive back home (I put it in a foot locker and
                    the foot locker is on a 3-month long ocean-trip).