Help getting MySQL to work

  • Nico Michael
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 15, 2007
      Hi there,

      This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.

      I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now

      1)How do you start it?
      2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
      Password) ?
      3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
      No LAMP)

      Please help me here

      regards
      Nico

      Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
      http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4
    • François Calay
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 15, 2007
        Hello Nico,
        I've no idea and don't know anything about Sql, but I wanted to answer,
        just to tell you that you're not alone ...
        I've also asked a question to the group about Thunderbird in a network,
        2 times in the last 10 days, and nobody answered.anything, a stone in
        the ocean (french expression)
        I supposed that
        - my question is really too difficult
        - the group is sleeping, sleeping ...
        Sweet dreams to everybody ?
        Regards
        Francois
        Belgium

        Nico Michael a écrit :
        > Hi there,
        >
        > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
        >
        > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
        >
        > 1)How do you start it?
        > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
        > Password) ?
        > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
        > No LAMP)
        >
        > Please help me here
        >
        > regards
        > Nico

      • ennoil
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
          Sorry, did not see this before.
          Under SuSE 10.3 MySQL runs as root. The best/easiset way to start it
          is through YaST choosing Services then System Services (Runlevel).
          Scroll down until you see MySQL and choose start.
          If under yast you go to Software maintenance you can install MySQL
          Administration packages. Short of that you can use the commandline
          mysqladmin or mysql to administer it.
          John

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
            Nico Michael wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
            >
            > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
            >
            > 1)How do you start it?

            It's in the documentation. Read it.

            > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
            > Password) ?

            That's in the documentation, too.

            > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
            > No LAMP)

            Have you visited the vendor site?

            <http://www.mysql.com/>

            Did you read the reference manual?

            The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
            manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
            English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
            and Spanish here:

            <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>

            Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
          • François Calay
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
              In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group, not to say
              anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe immediately.
              Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives
              F.C

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                François Calay wrote:
                > Aaron Kulkis a écrit :
                >> Nico Michael wrote:
                >>
                >>> Hi there,
                >>>
                >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                >>>
                >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                >>>
                >>> 1)How do you start it?
                >>>
                >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                >>

                >>> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                >>> Password) ?
                >>>
                >> That's in the documentation, too.
                >>

                >>> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
                >>> No LAMP)
                >>>
                >> Have you visited the vendor site?
                >>
                >> <http://www.mysql.com/>
                >>
                >> Did you read the reference manual?
                >>
                >> The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                >> manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                >> English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
                >> and Spanish here:
                >>
                >> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                >>
                >> Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
                >>
                > In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group,
                > not to say anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe
                > immediately.

                So your problem is that, because Nico didn't invest
                the time to find and read the documentation,

                Whoever on the list who does answer supposed to spend
                more time in giving Nico the answer (typing out
                step by step what he's supposed to do) than the amount
                of time Nico himself was willing invest in finding the
                answer?

                Sorry, but most of us have little respect for people
                who are unwilling to expend at least a little bit of
                effort to help themselves.

                MySQL's documentation is VERY readable.

                The answer to all of Nico's questions (and many more)
                are in MySQL's documentation.

                If he can't be bothered to read this professional
                quality manual, then that's his problem.

                Nobody here is entitled to spoon-feeding without
                having put forth a reasonable effort to find out
                the answer themselves, first.

                Nico didn't even bother to go to the MySQL website,
                which means he didn't even do a google search,
                because if he did, he would have discovered the
                google website, and the tremendous amount of
                FREE documentation which is available there.

                Once again, I Refer to Eric S. Raymond's website
                about how to ask questions, and likewise, how
                to NOT ask questions.

                Nico demonstrated nothing but laziness...and
                so consequently, he gets a lazy answer in return.

                > Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives
                > F.C

                Good luck with your attitude that everybody owes
                you an immediate answer to your confusing
                cross-platform question, in which you give not
                even a hint as to what you tried so far.

                If you DEMAND comprehensive, immediate support,
                that COSTS MONEY -- I hope you're prepared to
                pay for it.
              • Nico Michael
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                  Thanks for needed info

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                    Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                    > Nico Michael wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi there,
                    >>
                    >> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                    >>
                    >> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                    >>
                    >> 1)How do you start it?
                    >>

                    > It's in the documentation. Read it.

                    This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                    what the default password is when YAST installed it

                    >> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                    >> Password) ?
                    >>

                    > That's in the documentation, too.
                    >

                    >> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
                    >> No LAMP)
                    >>

                    > Have you visited the vendor site?
                    >
                    > <http://www.mysql.com/>
                    >
                    > Did you read the reference manual?
                    >
                    > The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                    > manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                    > English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
                    > and Spanish here:
                    >
                    > <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                    >
                    > Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.

                    Free pop3 email with a spam filter.
                    http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/5
                  • Nico Michael
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                      Is that a hint ?

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                        Nico Michael wrote:
                        > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                        >> Nico Michael wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Hi there,
                        >>>
                        >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                        >>>
                        >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                        >>>
                        >>> 1)How do you start it?
                        >>>
                        >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                        >>
                        > This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                        > what the default password is when YAST installed it

                        Why would YAST change the default password?

                        You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.

                        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html

                        The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                        directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                        for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                        and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                        script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                        anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                        ^^^^^^^^^
                        given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                        Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                        user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                        databases with a name of test or starting with test_.

                        Section 2.10.3 is here:
                        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html

                        That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                        refuse to do any work to help yourself.

                        Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                        someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                        so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                          Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                          <big snip>

                          Whoops, wrong list.
                        • Harold Hitchcock
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                            >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was
                            ignored.

                            >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                            >>>
                            >>> 1)How do you start it?
                            >>>
                            >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                            >>

                            >>> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                            >>> Password) ?
                            >>>
                            >> That's in the documentation, too.
                            >>

                            >>> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed
                            >>> / No LAMP)
                            >>>
                            >> Have you visited the vendor site?
                            >>
                            >> <http://www.mysql.com/>
                            >>
                            >> Did you read the reference manual?
                            >>
                            >> The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                            >> manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                            >> English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and
                            >> Spanish here:
                            >>
                            >> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                            >>
                            >> Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
                            >>
                            > In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group, > not to say
                            anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe > immediately.

                            So your problem is that, because Nico didn't invest the time to find and
                            read the documentation,

                            Whoever on the list who does answer supposed to spend more time in giving
                            Nico the answer (typing out step by step what he's supposed to do) than the
                            amount of time Nico himself was willing invest in finding the answer?

                            Sorry, but most of us have little respect for people who are unwilling to
                            expend at least a little bit of effort to help themselves.

                            MySQL's documentation is VERY readable.

                            The answer to all of Nico's questions (and many more) are in MySQL's
                            documentation.

                            If he can't be bothered to read this professional quality manual, then
                            that's his problem.

                            Nobody here is entitled to spoon-feeding without having put forth a
                            reasonable effort to find out the answer themselves, first.

                            Nico didn't even bother to go to the MySQL website, which means he didn't
                            even do a google search, because if he did, he would have discovered the
                            google website, and the tremendous amount of FREE documentation which is
                            available there.

                            Once again, I Refer to Eric S. Raymond's website about how to ask questions,
                            and likewise, how to NOT ask questions.

                            Nico demonstrated nothing but laziness...and so consequently, he gets a lazy
                            answer in return.

                            > Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives > F.C

                            Good luck with your attitude that everybody owes you an immediate answer to
                            your confusing cross-platform question, in which you give not even a hint as
                            to what you tried so far.

                            If you DEMAND comprehensive, immediate support, that COSTS MONEY -- I hope
                            you're prepared to pay for it.

                            Well Said.....

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Harold Hitchcock
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                                This has to be the best pointer I ever picked up from this group. Thanks!

                                > Under SuSE 10.3 MySQL runs as root. The best/easiset way to start it

                                > is through YaST choosing Services then System Services (Runlevel).

                                > Scroll down until you see MySQL and choose start.

                                > If under yast you go to Software maintenance you can install MySQL

                                > Administration packages. Short of that you can use the commandline

                                > mysqladmin or mysql to administer it.

                                > John

                                > --- In suselinuxusers@ yahoogroups. com

                                > <mailto:suselinuxus ers%40yahoogroup s.com>, Nico Michael <pretoria@.. .>

                                > wrote:

                                > > Hi there,

                                > > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was

                                > ignored.

                                > > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now

                                > > 1)How do you start it?

                                > > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and

                                > > Password) ?

                                > > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /

                                > > No LAMP)

                                > > Please help me here

                                > > regards

                                > > Nico

                                > > Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.

                                > > http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4 <http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4>

                                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                                Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.

                                http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-mkp{
                                #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                margin-bottom:10px;}
                                #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                padding:0 0;}
                                #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                -->

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                font-family:Arial;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                -->

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                #ygrp-text{
                                font-family:Georgia;
                                }
                                #ygrp-text p{
                                margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                font-family:Arial;
                                clear:both;}
                                #ygrp-vitnav{
                                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                padding:0 1px;}
                                #ygrp-actbar{
                                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                #ygrp-grft{
                                #ygrp-ft{
                                padding:5px 0;
                                }
                                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                padding-bottom:10px;}

                                #ygrp-vital{
                                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                #ygrp-vital ul{
                                padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                }
                                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                font-weight:bold;}
                                #ygrp-vital a{
                                text-decoration:none;}

                                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                text-decoration:underline;}

                                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                padding:8px 0;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                text-decoration:none;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                text-decoration:underline;}
                                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                margin:0;}
                                o{font-size:0;}
                                .MsoNormal{
                                margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                #ygrp-text tt{
                                font-size:120%;}
                                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                .replbq{margin:4;}
                                -->

                              • Nico Michael
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
                                  I did not know where to read these things ,
                                  thanks for the links

                                  Nico
                                  Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                  > Nico Michael wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                                  >>> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                                  >>>

                                  >> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                                  >> what the default password is when YAST installed it
                                  >>

                                  > Why would YAST change the default password?
                                  >
                                  > You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                  >
                                  > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                  >
                                  > The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                  > directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                  > for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                  > and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                  > script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                  > anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                  > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                  > initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                  > ^^^^^^^^^
                                  > given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                  > Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                  > user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                  > databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                  >
                                  > Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                  > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                  >

                                  > That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                  > refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                  >
                                  > Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                  > someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                  > so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.

                                  Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
                                  http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/1
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
                                    Nico Michael wrote:

                                    > Nico
                                    > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                    >> Nico Michael wrote:

                                    >>> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                                    >>> what the default password is when YAST installed it
                                    >>>

                                    >> Why would YAST change the default password?
                                    >>
                                    >> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                    >>
                                    >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                    >>
                                    >> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                    >> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                    >> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                    >> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                    >> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                    >> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                    >> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                    >> ^^^^^^^^^
                                    >> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                    >> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                    >> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                    >> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                    >>
                                    >> Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                    >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                    >>

                                    >> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                    >> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                    >>
                                    >> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                    >> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                    >> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                                    >>

                                    > I did not know where to read these things ,
                                    > thanks for the links

                                    All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
                                    willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
                                    more than willing to help you.

                                    For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
                                    for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
                                    very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
                                    you probably would have then realized that you could
                                    very easily find it yourself with Google.

                                    As someone playing around with a database server,
                                    I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
                                    past "computing newbie" level that you can read
                                    basic documentation for yourself.

                                    In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
                                    to find out if anyone has already written an answer
                                    to your question.

                                    For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
                                    (http://www.google.com/linux).

                                    Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
                                    for which the answer is already out there, and
                                    easy to find.

                                    And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
                                    then many times you will find the answer MUCH
                                    more quickly than it will be provided to you by
                                    anyone on this or any other list.
                                  • Nico Michael
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                      Hi Aron

                                      Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
                                      purchased two books:
                                      MySQL in a Nutshell
                                      and
                                      MySQL Reference Manual

                                      Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
                                      first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

                                      Nico

                                    • David Adams
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                        Nico,

                                        Not all of us are anal about what questions you are allowed to ask, and Aaron is free to
                                        ignore any questions that are not up to his standards.

                                        So, ask away. The worst we can do is ignore you. ;^) (That might just mean we don't know
                                        the answer and are hoping someone else will.)

                                        David

                                        Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                        > Nico Michael wrote:
                                        >

                                        >> Nico
                                        >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                                        >>> Why would YAST change the default password?
                                        >>>
                                        >>> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                        >>>
                                        >>> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                        >>> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                        >>> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                        >>> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                        >>> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                        >>> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                        >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                        >>> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                        >>> ^^^^^^^^^
                                        >>> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                        >>> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                        >>> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                        >>> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                        >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                        >>>

                                        >>> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                        >>> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                        >>> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                        >>> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                                        >>>

                                        > > I did not know where to read these things ,
                                        > > thanks for the links
                                        > >

                                        > All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
                                        > willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
                                        > more than willing to help you.
                                        >
                                        > For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
                                        > for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
                                        > very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
                                        > you probably would have then realized that you could
                                        > very easily find it yourself with Google.
                                        >

                                        > As someone playing around with a database server,
                                        > I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
                                        > past "computing newbie" level that you can read
                                        > basic documentation for yourself.
                                        >
                                        > In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
                                        > to find out if anyone has already written an answer
                                        > to your question.
                                        >
                                        > For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
                                        > (http://www.google.com/linux).
                                        >

                                        > Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
                                        > for which the answer is already out there, and
                                        > easy to find.
                                        >
                                        > And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
                                        > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
                                        > then many times you will find the answer MUCH
                                        > more quickly than it will be provided to you by
                                        > anyone on this or any other list.

                                        Be a better pen pal.
                                      • Steve Tabler
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                          Nico,

                                          That sounds like a good start. I have dabbled a bit with MySQL.

                                          I have 2 books:

                                          MySQL & mSQL by Yarger, Reese, & King (O'Relly)

                                          and

                                          MySQL by Paul DuBois (New Riders)

                                          Both of my copies are a bit dated, but of the two, I prefer the DuBois book.
                                          I also consult the online documentation from the MySQL site,
                                          especially if I am looking at something that might be version-dependent.

                                          Good luck!
                                          Steve

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                                            Nico Michael wrote:
                                            > Hi Aron
                                            >
                                            > Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
                                            > purchased two books:
                                            > MySQL in a Nutshell
                                            > and
                                            > MySQL Reference Manual
                                            >
                                            > Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
                                            > first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

                                            Good choices, I would think. Everything from O'Reilly is good.

                                            There's BIG pdf file on the MySQL documentation web pages (the
                                            PDF is about 500-700 pages). I bought the 5.0 version in printed
                                            form for about US $50 (24 months ago). Download the one for
                                            whatever version of MySQL that you're running. It's very helpful.

                                            For as far as I got in the book (before being activated to
                                            go to Baghdad for a year), I was able to follow it and learn
                                            from it. I took it with me to Baghdad, now I'm just waiting
                                            for it to arrive back home (I put it in a foot locker and
                                            the foot locker is on a 3-month long ocean-trip).