Installing ADSL

  • hossein ghazanfary
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
      hi dudes.I've installed opensuse 10.2 on my computer.and i have a
      problem with instaling my ADSL and connecting to the internet.i've
      gone through YAST and have installed my ethernet card and my ADSL
      modem.but my modem's model is planet,but it will install as DLink.i
      cannot open a page in firefox and when i ping yahoo.com in a terminal
      window,it says unknown host name.is there any kindman who can help me
      please?
      tnx

    • Nico Michael
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 15, 2007
        Hi there,

        This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.

        I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now

        1)How do you start it?
        2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
        Password) ?
        3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
        No LAMP)

        Please help me here

        regards
        Nico

        Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
        http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4
      • François Calay
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 15, 2007
          Hello Nico,
          I've no idea and don't know anything about Sql, but I wanted to answer,
          just to tell you that you're not alone ...
          I've also asked a question to the group about Thunderbird in a network,
          2 times in the last 10 days, and nobody answered.anything, a stone in
          the ocean (french expression)
          I supposed that
          - my question is really too difficult
          - the group is sleeping, sleeping ...
          Sweet dreams to everybody ?
          Regards
          Francois
          Belgium

          Nico Michael a écrit :
          > Hi there,
          >
          > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
          >
          > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
          >
          > 1)How do you start it?
          > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
          > Password) ?
          > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
          > No LAMP)
          >
          > Please help me here
          >
          > regards
          > Nico

        • ennoil
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
            Sorry, did not see this before.
            Under SuSE 10.3 MySQL runs as root. The best/easiset way to start it
            is through YaST choosing Services then System Services (Runlevel).
            Scroll down until you see MySQL and choose start.
            If under yast you go to Software maintenance you can install MySQL
            Administration packages. Short of that you can use the commandline
            mysqladmin or mysql to administer it.
            John

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
              Nico Michael wrote:
              > Hi there,
              >
              > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
              >
              > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
              >
              > 1)How do you start it?

              It's in the documentation. Read it.

              > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
              > Password) ?

              That's in the documentation, too.

              > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
              > No LAMP)

              Have you visited the vendor site?

              <http://www.mysql.com/>

              Did you read the reference manual?

              The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
              manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
              English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
              and Spanish here:

              <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>

              Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
            • François Calay
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group, not to say
                anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe immediately.
                Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives
                F.C

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                  François Calay wrote:
                  > Aaron Kulkis a écrit :
                  >> Nico Michael wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Hi there,
                  >>>
                  >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                  >>>
                  >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                  >>>
                  >>> 1)How do you start it?
                  >>>
                  >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                  >>

                  >>> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                  >>> Password) ?
                  >>>
                  >> That's in the documentation, too.
                  >>

                  >>> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
                  >>> No LAMP)
                  >>>
                  >> Have you visited the vendor site?
                  >>
                  >> <http://www.mysql.com/>
                  >>
                  >> Did you read the reference manual?
                  >>
                  >> The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                  >> manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                  >> English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
                  >> and Spanish here:
                  >>
                  >> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                  >>
                  >> Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
                  >>
                  > In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group,
                  > not to say anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe
                  > immediately.

                  So your problem is that, because Nico didn't invest
                  the time to find and read the documentation,

                  Whoever on the list who does answer supposed to spend
                  more time in giving Nico the answer (typing out
                  step by step what he's supposed to do) than the amount
                  of time Nico himself was willing invest in finding the
                  answer?

                  Sorry, but most of us have little respect for people
                  who are unwilling to expend at least a little bit of
                  effort to help themselves.

                  MySQL's documentation is VERY readable.

                  The answer to all of Nico's questions (and many more)
                  are in MySQL's documentation.

                  If he can't be bothered to read this professional
                  quality manual, then that's his problem.

                  Nobody here is entitled to spoon-feeding without
                  having put forth a reasonable effort to find out
                  the answer themselves, first.

                  Nico didn't even bother to go to the MySQL website,
                  which means he didn't even do a google search,
                  because if he did, he would have discovered the
                  google website, and the tremendous amount of
                  FREE documentation which is available there.

                  Once again, I Refer to Eric S. Raymond's website
                  about how to ask questions, and likewise, how
                  to NOT ask questions.

                  Nico demonstrated nothing but laziness...and
                  so consequently, he gets a lazy answer in return.

                  > Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives
                  > F.C

                  Good luck with your attitude that everybody owes
                  you an immediate answer to your confusing
                  cross-platform question, in which you give not
                  even a hint as to what you tried so far.

                  If you DEMAND comprehensive, immediate support,
                  that COSTS MONEY -- I hope you're prepared to
                  pay for it.
                • Nico Michael
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                    Thanks for needed info

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                      Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                      > Nico Michael wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi there,
                      >>
                      >> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                      >>
                      >> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                      >>
                      >> 1)How do you start it?
                      >>

                      > It's in the documentation. Read it.

                      This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                      what the default password is when YAST installed it

                      >> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                      >> Password) ?
                      >>

                      > That's in the documentation, too.
                      >

                      >> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /
                      >> No LAMP)
                      >>

                      > Have you visited the vendor site?
                      >
                      > <http://www.mysql.com/>
                      >
                      > Did you read the reference manual?
                      >
                      > The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                      > manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                      > English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian,
                      > and Spanish here:
                      >
                      > <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                      >
                      > Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.

                      Free pop3 email with a spam filter.
                      http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/5
                    • Nico Michael
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                        Is that a hint ?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                          Nico Michael wrote:
                          > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                          >> Nico Michael wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hi there,
                          >>>
                          >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was ignored.
                          >>>
                          >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                          >>>
                          >>> 1)How do you start it?
                          >>>
                          >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                          >>
                          > This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                          > what the default password is when YAST installed it

                          Why would YAST change the default password?

                          You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.

                          http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html

                          The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                          directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                          for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                          and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                          script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                          anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                          ^^^^^^^^^
                          given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                          Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                          user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                          databases with a name of test or starting with test_.

                          Section 2.10.3 is here:
                          http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html

                          That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                          refuse to do any work to help yourself.

                          Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                          someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                          so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                            Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                            <big snip>

                            Whoops, wrong list.
                          • Harold Hitchcock
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                              >>> This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was
                              ignored.

                              >>> I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now
                              >>>
                              >>> 1)How do you start it?
                              >>>
                              >> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                              >>

                              >>> 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and
                              >>> Password) ?
                              >>>
                              >> That's in the documentation, too.
                              >>

                              >>> 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed
                              >>> / No LAMP)
                              >>>
                              >> Have you visited the vendor site?
                              >>
                              >> <http://www.mysql.com/>
                              >>
                              >> Did you read the reference manual?
                              >>
                              >> The MySQL website has the complete text of the 500-page reference
                              >> manual is available online here in both PDF and HTML format in
                              >> English, Chinese, German, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and
                              >> Spanish here:
                              >>
                              >> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>
                              >>
                              >> Or you can go to a bookstore and buy it for US $60 or so.
                              >>
                              > In regard of the poor quality of the answers of the group, > not to say
                              anything else (see below), I decide to unsuscribe > immediately.

                              So your problem is that, because Nico didn't invest the time to find and
                              read the documentation,

                              Whoever on the list who does answer supposed to spend more time in giving
                              Nico the answer (typing out step by step what he's supposed to do) than the
                              amount of time Nico himself was willing invest in finding the answer?

                              Sorry, but most of us have little respect for people who are unwilling to
                              expend at least a little bit of effort to help themselves.

                              MySQL's documentation is VERY readable.

                              The answer to all of Nico's questions (and many more) are in MySQL's
                              documentation.

                              If he can't be bothered to read this professional quality manual, then
                              that's his problem.

                              Nobody here is entitled to spoon-feeding without having put forth a
                              reasonable effort to find out the answer themselves, first.

                              Nico didn't even bother to go to the MySQL website, which means he didn't
                              even do a google search, because if he did, he would have discovered the
                              google website, and the tremendous amount of FREE documentation which is
                              available there.

                              Once again, I Refer to Eric S. Raymond's website about how to ask questions,
                              and likewise, how to NOT ask questions.

                              Nico demonstrated nothing but laziness...and so consequently, he gets a lazy
                              answer in return.

                              > Bye to everybody and good luck in your lives > F.C

                              Good luck with your attitude that everybody owes you an immediate answer to
                              your confusing cross-platform question, in which you give not even a hint as
                              to what you tried so far.

                              If you DEMAND comprehensive, immediate support, that COSTS MONEY -- I hope
                              you're prepared to pay for it.

                              Well Said.....

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Harold Hitchcock
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 17, 2007
                                  This has to be the best pointer I ever picked up from this group. Thanks!

                                  > Under SuSE 10.3 MySQL runs as root. The best/easiset way to start it

                                  > is through YaST choosing Services then System Services (Runlevel).

                                  > Scroll down until you see MySQL and choose start.

                                  > If under yast you go to Software maintenance you can install MySQL

                                  > Administration packages. Short of that you can use the commandline

                                  > mysqladmin or mysql to administer it.

                                  > John

                                  > --- In suselinuxusers@ yahoogroups. com

                                  > <mailto:suselinuxus ers%40yahoogroup s.com>, Nico Michael <pretoria@.. .>

                                  > wrote:

                                  > > Hi there,

                                  > > This the second time I am asking this question the last time it was

                                  > ignored.

                                  > > I need to get MySql to work on SUSE10.2 or 10.3 now

                                  > > 1)How do you start it?

                                  > > 2) When you install it what credentials does it use (Logon ID and

                                  > > Password) ?

                                  > > 3)What program do you use to manage it ? ( I dont have PHP installed /

                                  > > No LAMP)

                                  > > Please help me here

                                  > > regards

                                  > > Nico

                                  > > Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.

                                  > > http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4 <http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4>

                                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                                  Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.

                                  http://www.bluebott le.com/tag/ 4

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-mkp{
                                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                  padding:0 0;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                  -->

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                  font-family:Arial;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                  -->

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                  #ygrp-text{
                                  font-family:Georgia;
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-text p{
                                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                  font-family:Arial;
                                  clear:both;}
                                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                  padding:0 1px;}
                                  #ygrp-actbar{
                                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                  #ygrp-grft{
                                  #ygrp-ft{
                                  padding:5px 0;
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                                  #ygrp-vital{
                                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                  font-weight:bold;}
                                  #ygrp-vital a{
                                  text-decoration:none;}

                                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                  text-decoration:underline;}

                                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                  padding:8px 0;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                  text-decoration:none;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                  text-decoration:underline;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                  margin:0;}
                                  o{font-size:0;}
                                  .MsoNormal{
                                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                  #ygrp-text tt{
                                  font-size:120%;}
                                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                                  -->

                                • Nico Michael
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
                                    I did not know where to read these things ,
                                    thanks for the links

                                    Nico
                                    Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                    > Nico Michael wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                                    >>> It's in the documentation. Read it.
                                    >>>

                                    >> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                                    >> what the default password is when YAST installed it
                                    >>

                                    > Why would YAST change the default password?
                                    >
                                    > You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                    >
                                    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                    >
                                    > The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                    > directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                    > for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                    > and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                    > script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                    > anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                    > initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                    > ^^^^^^^^^
                                    > given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                    > Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                    > user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                    > databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                    >
                                    > Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                    >

                                    > That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                    > refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                    >
                                    > Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                    > someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                    > so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.

                                    Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
                                    http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/1
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 23, 2007
                                      Nico Michael wrote:

                                      > Nico
                                      > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                      >> Nico Michael wrote:

                                      >>> This does not explain what YAST does when instaling MYSQL
                                      >>> what the default password is when YAST installed it
                                      >>>

                                      >> Why would YAST change the default password?
                                      >>
                                      >> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                      >>
                                      >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                      >>
                                      >> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                      >> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                      >> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                      >> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                      >> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                      >> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                      >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                      >> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                      >> ^^^^^^^^^
                                      >> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                      >> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                      >> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                      >> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                      >>
                                      >> Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                      >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                      >>

                                      >> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                      >> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                      >>
                                      >> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                      >> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                      >> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                                      >>

                                      > I did not know where to read these things ,
                                      > thanks for the links

                                      All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
                                      willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
                                      more than willing to help you.

                                      For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
                                      for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
                                      very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
                                      you probably would have then realized that you could
                                      very easily find it yourself with Google.

                                      As someone playing around with a database server,
                                      I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
                                      past "computing newbie" level that you can read
                                      basic documentation for yourself.

                                      In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
                                      to find out if anyone has already written an answer
                                      to your question.

                                      For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
                                      (http://www.google.com/linux).

                                      Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
                                      for which the answer is already out there, and
                                      easy to find.

                                      And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
                                      then many times you will find the answer MUCH
                                      more quickly than it will be provided to you by
                                      anyone on this or any other list.
                                    • Nico Michael
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                        Hi Aron

                                        Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
                                        purchased two books:
                                        MySQL in a Nutshell
                                        and
                                        MySQL Reference Manual

                                        Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
                                        first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

                                        Nico

                                      • David Adams
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                          Nico,

                                          Not all of us are anal about what questions you are allowed to ask, and Aaron is free to
                                          ignore any questions that are not up to his standards.

                                          So, ask away. The worst we can do is ignore you. ;^) (That might just mean we don't know
                                          the answer and are hoping someone else will.)

                                          David

                                          Aaron Kulkis wrote:
                                          > Nico Michael wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> Nico
                                          >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

                                          >>> Why would YAST change the default password?
                                          >>>
                                          >>> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
                                          >>>
                                          >>> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
                                          >>> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
                                          >>> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
                                          >>> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
                                          >>> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
                                          >>> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
                                          >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                          >>> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
                                          >>> ^^^^^^^^^
                                          >>> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
                                          >>> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
                                          >>> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
                                          >>> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Section 2.10.3 is here:
                                          >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
                                          >>>

                                          >>> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
                                          >>> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
                                          >>> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
                                          >>> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
                                          >>>

                                          > > I did not know where to read these things ,
                                          > > thanks for the links
                                          > >

                                          > All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
                                          > willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
                                          > more than willing to help you.
                                          >
                                          > For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
                                          > for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
                                          > very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
                                          > you probably would have then realized that you could
                                          > very easily find it yourself with Google.
                                          >

                                          > As someone playing around with a database server,
                                          > I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
                                          > past "computing newbie" level that you can read
                                          > basic documentation for yourself.
                                          >
                                          > In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
                                          > to find out if anyone has already written an answer
                                          > to your question.
                                          >
                                          > For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
                                          > (http://www.google.com/linux).
                                          >

                                          > Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
                                          > for which the answer is already out there, and
                                          > easy to find.
                                          >
                                          > And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
                                          > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
                                          > then many times you will find the answer MUCH
                                          > more quickly than it will be provided to you by
                                          > anyone on this or any other list.

                                          Be a better pen pal.
                                        • Steve Tabler
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                                            Nico,

                                            That sounds like a good start. I have dabbled a bit with MySQL.

                                            I have 2 books:

                                            MySQL & mSQL by Yarger, Reese, & King (O'Relly)

                                            and

                                            MySQL by Paul DuBois (New Riders)

                                            Both of my copies are a bit dated, but of the two, I prefer the DuBois book.
                                            I also consult the online documentation from the MySQL site,
                                            especially if I am looking at something that might be version-dependent.

                                            Good luck!
                                            Steve

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                                              Nico Michael wrote:
                                              > Hi Aron
                                              >
                                              > Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
                                              > purchased two books:
                                              > MySQL in a Nutshell
                                              > and
                                              > MySQL Reference Manual
                                              >
                                              > Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
                                              > first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

                                              Good choices, I would think. Everything from O'Reilly is good.

                                              There's BIG pdf file on the MySQL documentation web pages (the
                                              PDF is about 500-700 pages). I bought the 5.0 version in printed
                                              form for about US $50 (24 months ago). Download the one for
                                              whatever version of MySQL that you're running. It's very helpful.

                                              For as far as I got in the book (before being activated to
                                              go to Baghdad for a year), I was able to follow it and learn
                                              from it. I took it with me to Baghdad, now I'm just waiting
                                              for it to arrive back home (I put it in a foot locker and
                                              the foot locker is on a 3-month long ocean-trip).