Installing 10.2 on Vista and Dell laptop

  • Al Swanson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      Greetings! It's been some time since I used Suse (since the v8 days)
      and I'm about to install on a Dell laptop that's running Vista. I've
      looked around a bit and don't find anything that's scared me off yet,
      but ya'll seem pretty active so I thought I would just ask here
      quickly before I do the install.
      Is there anything in the two variables here (the Dell 1505 and Vista
      Home premium) that raise red flags in either the install itself or
      running Suse once it is installed? I'm not too worried about blowing
      away the machine, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided. I have an
      old Dell 4600 I could load it on if need be.
      Thank you very much in advance for any advice you might have.
    • wjpfaff
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Al Swanson" <al_swanson@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings! It's been some time since I used Suse (since the v8
        days)
        > and I'm about to install on a Dell laptop that's running Vista.
        I've
        > looked around a bit and don't find anything that's scared me off
        yet,
        > but ya'll seem pretty active so I thought I would just ask here
        > quickly before I do the install.
        > Is there anything in the two variables here (the Dell 1505 and
        Vista
        > Home premium) that raise red flags in either the install itself or
        > running Suse once it is installed? I'm not too worried about
        blowing
        > away the machine, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided. I have
        an
        > old Dell 4600 I could load it on if need be.
        > Thank you very much in advance for any advice you might have.

        The only problem that you may have is with the wireless.
        Here is a driver from intel that should work
        http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/
        filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2259&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go%21

        If you have a dvd burner then you can try the 10.2 live cd.
        http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-
        GM-LiveDVD.iso

        Good Luck
      • wjpfaff
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, wjpfaff <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Al Swanson" al_swanson@
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings! It's been some time since I used Suse (since the v8
          > days)
          > > and I'm about to install on a Dell laptop that's running Vista.
          > I've
          > > looked around a bit and don't find anything that's scared me off
          > yet,
          > > but ya'll seem pretty active so I thought I would just ask here
          > > quickly before I do the install.
          > > Is there anything in the two variables here (the Dell 1505 and
          > Vista
          > > Home premium) that raise red flags in either the install itself or
          > > running Suse once it is installed? I'm not too worried about
          > blowing away the machine, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided.
          I have
          > an old Dell 4600 I could load it on if need be.
          > > Thank you very much in advance for any advice you might have.
          > >
          > The only problem that you may have is with the wireless. Here is a
          driver from intel that should work [b]