Re: [SUSE Linux Users] IRC vs INSTANT MESSAGING

  • Scott Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      horrorvacui@... wrote:

      > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:23:53 +1300
      > "Alan Nicholson" <anicholson@...
      > <mailto:anicholson%40adhb.govt.nz>> wrote:
      >
      >> used IM/IRC either. Suspect they will use a MS product at their end.
      >> Experience to dat has been solely email.
      >
      > No. Microsoft has no IRC client. They do have an IM client, but I
      > wouldn't use it. From what I heard from Windows users Trillian (or
      > Trilian, I can't be bothered to find out the exact name right now)
      > seems to be quite a good and spyware-free IM client.
      >
      >> I am using OpenSuse 10.2 with KDE and there are two apps - Konversation
      >> and Kopete and intend to use one (or both) of them once I get my head
      >> around the idea.
      >
      > What's keeping you from just trying it out? What's there to get one's
      > heaad around? Just do it, man...

      Basically, you just sign up for a Hotmail or Yahoo account and pop open
      your IM client and put the account details in there and hit go. Then
      you just add buddies. I have written a tutorial for this in Gaim (runs
      on Linux and Windows):

      http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16266.html

      For a few more features of Gaim:

      http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16331.html

      Really, just do it. Simple as that.

      >> Firstly can somebody clarify the differences between IRC/IM just in case
      >> I have it totally wrong. Secondly what is the recommendation for a
      >> suitable client out of Konversation/Kopete...or indeed anything that
      >> folks feel is better. I can probably find the appropriate User
      >> Guides/Tutorials once I know what I intend to use but feel free to sling
      >> in the URL if you feel inclined.
      >
      > I frankly hate the KDE stuff. I use gaim for instant messaging, and
      > irssi for IRC. irssi is probably too hardcore for you (it's
      > text-based), so you probably might be tempted to try something
      > graphical, like xchat - which is a nice, small and light IRC client
      > that isn't exactly lacking in features.
      >
      > IRC is for chatting in channels with a bunch of other freaks, while IM
      > is for sending messages to one person only. Of course you can do both
      > with both, so just do whatever best suits you.

      Agreed. With IRC, you have to find a channel that everyone can log into
      (or set one up). IRC is probably a little advanced. IM is seriously
      point-and-click easy. You just double-click a buddy in your buddy list
      and start typing. You can also have chatrooms with multiple people in
      some IM programs.

      Kopete is fine, Trillian is pretty good, but I prefer and recommend
      Gaim. Whatever suits your taste.

      Scott Morris
    • Davey
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
        horrorvacui@... wrote:
        > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:23:53 +1300
        > "Alan Nicholson" <anicholson@...> wrote:
        >

        >>used IM/IRC either. Suspect they will use a MS product at their end.
        >>Experience to dat has been solely email.
        >

        > No. Microsoft has no IRC client. They do have an IM client, but I
        > wouldn't use it. From what I heard from Windows users Trillian (or
        > Trilian, I can't be bothered to find out the exact name right now)
        > seems to be quite a good and spyware-free IM client.

        Just a small correction:
        Ah, but you are wrong. Do a Google on "Microsoft Comic Chat". It is a
        Microsoft IRC client. One can use it in text or "comic character" mode.

        --------
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Chat>

        Microsoft Comic Chat
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        (Redirected from Microsoft Chat)
        Jump to: navigation, search
        Microsoft Chat version 2.5.
        Microsoft Chat version 2.5.

        Microsoft Comic Chat (later Microsoft Chat) is an IRC client created by
        Microsoft bundled with some Internet-aware versions of Microsoft Windows.

        Comic Chat was initially released with Internet Explorer 3.0 in 1996,
        and was developed by Microsoft Researcher David Kurlander together with
        the Virtual Worlds Group.

        Its main feature, which set it apart from other IRC clients, is that it
        enabled comic avatars to represent a user; this character could express
        a specified emotion, possibly making IRC chatting a more emotive and
        expressive experience. Comic characters and backgrounds were created by
        comic artist Jim Woodring.

        However, the method that this software used to achieve the comic effect
        was to prepend an unreadable code in parentheses to the plain text of
        the user's speech, which defined what emotion the character expressed.
        This had a somewhat annoying effect on non-Comic Chat users. The
        inclusion of this code could be disabled, but this would result in being
        unable to transmit characters' emotion states to other Comic Chat users.

        Comic Chat is seldom used today, perhaps because of insistence from
        other non-Comic Chat users that the Comic Chat mode be turned off, as
        some users found the superfluous text annoying, and because the
        Microsoft Chat network shut down. The program is used to create the
        comic strip "Jerkcity".
        --------

        WarpDavey
        --
        "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is
        my religion."-Tom Paine