XFree86 help please

  • posen
    Message 1 of 1427 , Jun 17, 1999
      Please can someone help? I am totally new to
      Linux and have just installed SuSE 6.0 (kernel 2.0.36 I
      think) on my PC. It all seems to work OK except for the
      fact that I can't get any of the graphical
      environments to work. I've run YasT and used the SuSE
      installer for Xfree86, but when I get to the end of the
      install (the point where the X-server is to be tested)
      the screen flickers a bit and then presents a small
      dialog box with what I assume are "resize" and "shift"
      arrows. I click on "save" at this point and then the
      screen goes blank for a long time; finally returning to
      the start point in YasT. Yast doesn't load any
      modules or packages (I don't even know if it should!).
      I've closed Yast, rebooted and then tried to run KDE,
      but I get a message saying that there is no
      X-server.<br><br>So, my question is "should I do something more to
      start the X-server, or has the install gone wrong for
      some reason?".<br><br>Any help greatfully
      accepted.<br><br>Mark
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .