Sled10 & via-km400 graphics card: how to enable xgl & 3d accel?

  • ofvergara
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hello guys,

      I have finally and recently installed SLED v10 on my machine and i
      like it very much. it's very stable, nice graphics.. obviously much
      better than my previous installation (suse 9.1)

      I have tweaked everything to my liking though there is a feature i'm
      missing.

      I haven't been able to activate xgl & 3d acceleration.
      I'd like to use the rotating cube, wobbling windows, alt+tab with
      window preview and the other eye-candy stuff.

      My onboard graphic card is identified as...

      windows: via/s3g uniChrome IGP
      sled 10: via km400 (via vt8378)

      Will you please enlightenme with the necessary steps (download,
      compile, procedures, etc) to enable the 3d functions for this card?

      (I have already registered my installation with novell for updates &
      patches, but none were applied for this video card)

      Thank you in advance!!
      <Omar>
    • K. S.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
        ofvergara wrote:

        > Hello guys,
        >
        > I have finally and recently installed SLED v10 on my machine and i
        > like it very much. it's very stable, nice graphics.. obviously much
        > better than my previous installation (suse 9.1)
        >
        > I have tweaked everything to my liking though there is a feature i'm
        > missing.
        >
        > I haven't been able to activate xgl & 3d acceleration.
        > I'd like to use the rotating cube, wobbling windows, alt+tab with
        > window preview and the other eye-candy stuff.
        >
        > My onboard graphic card is identified as...
        >
        > windows: via/s3g uniChrome IGP
        > sled 10: via km400 (via vt8378)
        >
        > Will you please enlightenme with the necessary steps (download,
        > compile, procedures, etc) to enable the 3d functions for this card?
        >
        > (I have already registered my installation with novell for updates &
        > patches, but none were applied for this video card)

        What happens when you go into gnome config manager and click on "desktop
        effects"? From the description of your card I fear that it may not support
        xgl. Eventually xgl will support any card which has the hardware 3D
        capabilities, but at the moment it's pretty much just just nvidia and ati -
        next on the list is the intel graphics, if it's not already supported.

      • Bratislav Velickovic
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
          Dana nedelja 06 avgust 2006 15:21, ofvergara je napisao(la):

          > My onboard graphic card is identified as...
          >
          > windows: via/s3g uniChrome IGP
          > sled 10: via km400 (via vt8378)

          You should check for Linux drivers for your card at VIA Arena (
          http://www.viaarena.com/ ) and see if 3D and xgl are supported by your
          UniChrome graphics chip. Beside this official drivers you may wish to inspect
          opensource project such as OpenChrome ( http:://www.openchrome.org ).

          I have an S3 UniChrome Pro chipset on my laptop and I haven't been able to use
          3D acceleration with it even though I've installed VIA drivers.

          Regards,
          --
          Bratislav Velickovic
          http://blog.velickovic.net