how to expand root partition size

  • belitung_hack
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2006
      Hi everybody around the world...
      Could you all tell me how to expand the root partition size.?? I want
      to install more software package with YasT, but it can't be done
      because there not enough disk space on the root folder..

      Thank you..
    • K. S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2006
        That has nothing to do with the size of a "folder" (which we call a directory
        in the unix world).

        The question is, how is your disk partitioned? Please post the output of the
        command "df -k" and we shall see.

        belitung_hack wrote:

        > Hi everybody around the world...
        > Could you all tell me how to expand the root partition size.?? I want
        > to install more software package with YasT, but it can't be done
        > because there not enough disk space on the root folder..
        >
        > Thank you..

      • belitung_hack
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
          below is a output from df -k command that run from shell

          /dev/hda7 4176700 3103216 1073484 75% /
          tmpfs 257172 12 257160 1% /dev/shm
          /dev/hda1 11107436 7040156 4067280 64% /windows/C

          Is there's anything I can do??

          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "K. S." <einheit@...> wrote:

          > That has nothing to do with the size of a "folder" (which we call
          a directory
          > in the unix world).
          >
          > The question is, how is your disk partitioned? Please post the
          output of the
          > command "df -k" and we shall see.

          > belitung_hack wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi everybody around the world...
          > > Could you all tell me how to expand the root partition size.?? I
          want
          > > to install more software package with YasT, but it can't be done
          > > because there not enough disk space on the root folder..
          > >
          > > Thank you..

        • K. S.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
            It appears that windoze has an 11 GB partition, and linux has a 4 GB partition
            which has 1 GB free. I can understand how that would be somewhat cramped. (My
            company issued laptop, on the other hand, came with expee loaded on a 40 GB
            disk. I was generous enough to leave expee 15 GB - that's probably too much in
            retrospect - and gave the other 25 GB to SUSE SLED 10)

            Unfortunately your the linux partition does not appear to be installed on a
            logical volume manager, so even if there were spare room somewhere on the
            disk, there's no easy way to add it to the linux partition.

            It looks like you don't have a lot of options there, short of maybe shrinking
            the windoze partition a little, adding to the linux partition, and doing a
            reinstall. I see windoze on partition 1, linux on a logical partition, but
            what's on physical partitions 2 and 3, and what's on the other logical partitions?

            belitung_hack wrote:

            > below is a output from df -k command that run from shell
            >
            > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
            > /dev/hda7 4176700 3103216 1073484 75% /
            > tmpfs 257172 12 257160 1% /dev/shm
            > /dev/hda1 11107436 7040156 4067280 64% /windows/C
            >
            > Is there's anything I can do??
            >
            > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>, "K. S." <einheit@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> That has nothing to do with the size of a "folder" (which we call
            > a directory
            >> in the unix world).
            >>
            >> The question is, how is your disk partitioned? Please post the
            > output of the
            >> command "df -k" and we shall see.

            >> belitung_hack wrote:
            >> >

            >> > Hi everybody around the world...
            >> > Could you all tell me how to expand the root partition size.?? I
            > want
            >> > to install more software package with YasT, but it can't be done
            >> > because there not enough disk space on the root folder..
            >> >
            >> > Thank you..

          • belitung_hack
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
              o..man.So i must reinstall my linux from beginning?
              ^_^'

              But i want to ask something. When i do my first partitioning hard disk
              (when i installing SuSe) there are many disk drive partition that SuSe
              10.0 has made itself. Here's the example(i almost forgot the specific
              data) :

              8 GB dev/hda3 linux native
              3,9 GB dev/hda7 linux(reiserf) /
              6 GB dev/hda4 linux swap

              Nah, I don't know what does the SuSe mean? Could you tell me?
              And how 'bout your fovorite first partitioning typical? What can i do?

              Hehehehehe.... Sorry to ask to much, but thank you einstein you have
              replied every mail that i need to be replied.

            • Luke
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                Hi All,

                I am new~ish to linux. I am have alot of success with Suse 10.1 but two
                things keep driving me crazy. Samba setup and a network card that refuses
                to keep its configuration.

                I followed this tutoral exactly with the exception I don't have the
                firewall enabled (I am behind smoothwall).
                http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

                Everything seemed to work well, well except I can connect to my linux
                machine even from my linux machine. I can see it in my network but it
                times out. I tried using smbclient from the same box as the samba server
                with the shares I want to get to; this is what I got:

                linux:~ # ping linux
                PING linux (192.168.2.181) 56(84) bytes of data.
                64 bytes from linux (192.168.2.181): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.044 ms
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
                  belitung_hack wrote:

                  > o..man.So i must reinstall my linux from beginning?

                  Unfortunately that seems to be the most straightforward way at this point.

                  > But i want to ask something. When i do my first partitioning hard disk
                  > (when i installing SuSe) there are many disk drive partition that SuSe
                  > 10.0 has made itself. Here's the example(i almost forgot the specific
                  > data) :
                  >
                  > 8 GB dev/hda3 linux native
                  > 3,9 GB dev/hda7 linux(reiserf) /
                  > 6 GB dev/hda4 linux swap
                  >
                  > Nah, I don't know what does the SuSe mean? Could you tell me?
                  > And how 'bout your fovorite first partitioning typical? What can i do?

                  I wonder what hda3 is for? I can't imagine why that would be assigned that way
                  except for one reason: there was already some sort of linux data on that
                  partition. Unlike microsoft, suse won't simply blow away your existing
                  partitions - it will assume you want to keep your data if you don't give it
                  any indication otherwise.

                  For that reason, it's a good idea to go to the "expert" disk partitioning
                  configuration if you know what's there and you know what you want to do. That
                  way, you tell it exactly how to partition the disk, and there is no wasted
                  space and no surprises.

                  That 8 GB unused space would come in very handy - if it was my system and that
                  8 GB wasn't anything useful, I would just use it for "/home" or something.

                  Format it as reiserfs, mount it temporarily under "/mnt", copy /home/* to
                  /mnt/, unmount it, rm -rf /home/*, mount it on /home, and edit /etc/fstab to
                  make the mount point official.

                  If not /home, then /usr/local, or /srv, or wherever the space is needed most.

                  Also, 6 GB seems like a lot of swap, I usually have 1 or 2 GB swap if there 1
                  GB RAM or less.

                  It might be easiest though, to just reinstall, and partition manually to make
                  things clean:

                  hda1 => /boot = 100 MB, ext2, noatime
                  hda2 => swap = 1 GB or 2 GB
                  hda3 => / = the rest of the disk, reiserfs, noatime, notail, noacl

                • Taufik Suryawan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
                    > I am new~ish to linux. I am have alot of success
                    > with Suse 10.1 but two
                    > things keep driving me crazy. Samba setup and a
                    > network card that refuses
                    > to keep its configuration.

                    I dont use suse 10.1, I use suse 9.3 instead. Anyone
                    can send me a copy of suse 10.1 ?

                    > I followed this tutoral exactly with the exception I
                    > don't have the
                    > firewall enabled (I am behind smoothwall).
                    > http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

                    You should open your samba service on firewall. Please
                    note that all suse linux service is not open to public
                    by default. You should open it in Yast2 ---> Security
                    and Users ---> Firewall ----> Allowed Services.

                    > Now the second problem... Evertime I reboot Suse
                    > changes my MAC address
                    > and looses the network card configuration. If I run
                    > Knoppix I see that it
                    > says my "MAC address is invalid complain to your
                    > hardware vendor" I would
                    > assume that Suse is having the same problem. I
                    > really need to use a static
                    > IP on my network but don't want to have to
                    > reconfigure my network card
                    > after ever reboot.

                    My guess is you bought a corrupted (broken) network
                    card. You may return it to your network card vendor
                    for a refund. Suse works best with Realtek 8139
                    chipset based.

                    Good luck.

                    Best Regards,

                    Taufik

                    ==================================
                    Blog: http://handz106.multiply.com

                  • Alan Nicholson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
                      Taufik wrote:
                      <I dont use suse 10.1, I use suse 9.3 instead. Anyone can send me a copy
                      of suse 10.1 ?>

                      If you don't have any luck try here

                      http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

                      Alan
                    • Taufik Suryawan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
                        --- Alan Nicholson <anicholson@...> wrote:

                        > If you don't have any luck try here
                        >
                        > http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

                        Thank you, Alan...

                        Here is my confirmation number from
                        http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/ :

                        ==============================
                        Confirmation Number: 152545306

                        I've been using suse 9.3 in a production server for 8
                        months. I can't wait to update my entire system to
                        suse 10.1.

                        Best Regards,

                        Taufik

                        Blog: http://handz106.multiply.com