Re: java

  • bomvinny
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
      Thanks a lot everyone. The error is in fact in regards to the
      plugins. After installing the java I tried to run the test from the
      java site to see if the install went well but the graphic did not
      run meaning the install failed somewhere. I'll give the rpm a try.
      As far as using the commercial gotomypc solution as opposed to vnc
      or a remote desktop is because this is not a home enviornment and I
      do not control all the factors on the network. Now before anyone
      gets any ideas I am not doing anything illegal but as K. S.
      mentioned the firewall is an issue and I'm trying to find a way to
      bypass but not create a hole in the firewall. The java install has
      been a royal pain in the a**. Based on what I can see and what I've
      trouble shot it seems to be what's holding me back from getting the
      gtmpc working. Like I said I'll try the rpm and see how that goes. I
      appreciate all the feed back and welcome any other advice.
      --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "K. S." <einheit@...> wrote:

      > bomvinny wrote:
      > >

      > > I've been trying to install the latest java on my machine. I've
      tried
      > > to fallow the instructions from the java page but I get to the
      Enable
      > > and Configure portion and hit a road block. This is the section
      were
      > > I get lost:
      >
      > I just installed the java 1.50 rpm which was built and packaged
      specifically
      > for suse linux, rather than futzing around with a tarball
      downloaded from the
      > internet...
      >
      > Just a hint...

    • K. S.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
        bomvinny wrote:

        > Thanks a lot everyone. The error is in fact in regards to the
        > plugins. After installing the java I tried to run the test from the
        > java site to see if the install went well but the graphic did not
        > run meaning the install failed somewhere. I'll give the rpm a try.
        > As far as using the commercial gotomypc solution as opposed to vnc
        > or a remote desktop is because this is not a home enviornment and I
        > do not control all the factors on the network. Now before anyone
        > gets any ideas I am not doing anything illegal but as K. S.
        > mentioned the firewall is an issue and I'm trying to find a way to
        > bypass but not create a hole in the firewall. The java install has
        > been a royal pain in the a**. Based on what I can see and what I've
        > trouble shot it seems to be what's holding me back from getting the
        > gtmpc working. Like I said I'll try the rpm and see how that goes. I
        > appreciate all the feed back and welcome any other advice.

        Actually the java install is dead simple if you let linux do the work for you.

        What exact version are you running?

      • bomvinny
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
          Running Suse 10.1. I tried the rpm install and everything seemed to
          go find. The only problem is that I still don't have the options to
          enable java under firefox. The problem might be the fact that I did
          not create the symbolic link properly (linking the plugins to mozilla)
          I may still be in windows mode mentally but I can't locate the
          directory in which mozilla is installed. Everything besides the
          missing plugins seems to be fine.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
            bomvinny wrote:

            > Running Suse 10.1. I tried the rpm install and everything seemed to
            > go find. The only problem is that I still don't have the options to
            > enable java under firefox. The problem might be the fact that I did
            > not create the symbolic link properly (linking the plugins to mozilla)
            > I may still be in windows mode mentally but I can't locate the
            > directory in which mozilla is installed. Everything besides the
            > missing plugins seems to be fine.

            All the plugins are in /usr/lib/browser-plugins

            Just make the symlinks to the real files in that directory. The suse issued
            firefox and mozilla packages already do that for you, so yours must be a
            self-installed browser. I had to do that for the firefox 2.0 alpha I
            downloaded, and it works fine now.