Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Gotomypc

  • Scott O'Bryan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
      PC Stands for Personal Computer KS, not Windows....

      K. S. wrote:

      > bomvinny wrote:
      > >

      > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
      > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
      > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
      > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do to
      > > get this to work on my linux machine?
      >
      > I'm not sure what you mean by "linux pc" - in any case, does gotomypc.com
      > support anything besides pc OSes? I was under the impression that it
      > was only
      > for ms windoze...
      >
      > If it's actually platform neutral, I'd be interested to hear - but in that
      > case they should call it "go to my box", since it could be peecee, mac or
      > other unix...

    • ItalysBadBoy
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        Well actually it stands for a variety of things,
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc

        IBB

        Scott O'Bryan <darkarena@...> wrote: PC Stands for Personal Computer KS, not Windows....

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "bomvinny" <bomvinny@...> wrote:

          > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
          > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
          > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
          > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
          todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol) and
          enable VNC in the list on the right side.

          > get this to work on my linux machine?

          Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
          when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
          service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
          Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
          what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts as
          an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas VNC
          is a direct connection to your system.)

          Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from any
          computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
          "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
          where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
          sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
          are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of upper
          and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).

          To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
          YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
          Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open port
          in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
          be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
          remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do so.

          J.
        • Markus Wipfler
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
            I agree with <bucktheiguana@...>, but what if the VNC server sits
            behind a ISP/company firewall or if the ISP/company is using some form of
            NAT/PAT?

            On 7/1/06, John <bucktheiguana@...> wrote:

            > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "bomvinny" <bomvinny@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
            > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
            > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
            > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
            > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol) and
            > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
            >

            > > get this to work on my linux machine?
            > >

            > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
            > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
            > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
            > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
            > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts as
            > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas VNC
            > is a direct connection to your system.)
            >
            > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from any
            > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
            > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
            > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
            > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
            > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of upper
            > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
            >
            > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
            > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
            > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open port
            > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
            > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
            > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do so.
            >
            > J.

          • bomvinny
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              Gotomypc cannot be installed using a linux machine as a host. But as
              a client machine trying to access the host gotomypc is "Supposed to
              work".
              --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "K. S." <einheit@...> wrote:

              > bomvinny wrote:
              > >

              > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
              access
              > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
              gotomypc
              > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
              I try
              > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
              > > get this to work on my linux machine?
              >
              > I'm not sure what you mean by "linux pc" - in any case, does
              gotomypc.com
              > support anything besides pc OSes? I was under the impression that
              it was only
              > for ms windoze...
              >
              > If it's actually platform neutral, I'd be interested to hear - but
              in that
              > case they should call it "go to my box", since it could be peecee,
              mac or
              > other unix...

            • bomvinny
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                Normally I would not defile a linux machine with gotomypc but this is
                a special case. I'm trying to use the linux machine as a terminal in
                a windows enviornment. The purpose is install gotomypc on the windows
                machines letting them act as hosts and use the linux to access the
                host machine via gotomypc.
                --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "John" <bucktheiguana@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "bomvinny" <bomvinny@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
                access
                > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
                gotomypc
                > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
                I try
                > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
                > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol)
                and
                > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
                >
                > > get this to work on my linux machine?
                > >

                > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
                > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
                > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
                > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
                > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts
                as
                > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas
                VNC
                > is a direct connection to your system.)
                >
                > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from
                any
                > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                upper
                > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                >
                > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                port
                > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do
                so.

                > J.

              • Markus Wipfler
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                  If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers from a
                  Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a VNCserver on
                  the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                  Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas rdesktop
                  What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free ones are
                  available?

                  On 7/3/06, bomvinny <bomvinny@...> wrote:

                  > Normally I would not defile a linux machine with gotomypc but this is
                  > a special case. I'm trying to use the linux machine as a terminal in
                  > a windows enviornment. The purpose is install gotomypc on the windows
                  > machines letting them act as hosts and use the linux to access the
                  > host machine via gotomypc.

                  --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "John" <bucktheiguana@...>
                  >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "bomvinny" <bomvinny@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
                  > access
                  > > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
                  > gotomypc
                  > > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
                  > I try
                  > > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
                  > > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol)
                  > and
                  > > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
                  > >
                  > > > get this to work on my linux machine?
                  > > >

                  > > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
                  > > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
                  > > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
                  > > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
                  > > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts
                  > as
                  > > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas
                  > VNC
                  > > is a direct connection to your system.)
                  > >
                  > > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from
                  > any
                  > > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                  > > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                  > > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                  > > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                  > > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                  > upper
                  > > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                  > >
                  > > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                  > > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                  > > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                  > port
                  > > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                  > > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                  > > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do
                  > so.
                  > >
                  > > J.

                • Scott O'Bryan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    You can also just use Window's built-in Remote Desktop using krdc since
                    deploying VNC might be a pain... Actually, I've found in many instances
                    that Remote Desktop is more efficient. Especially in dealing with
                    machines that regularly sit on the login screen, VNC server has trouble
                    displaying that screen at times. Just a thought.

                    Scott

                    Markus Wipfler wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                    > > > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801 <http://yourdomain.tld:5801>". (No
                    > domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                    > > > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                    > > > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                    > > > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                    > > upper
                    > > > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                    > > >
                    > > > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                    > > > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                    > > > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                    > > port
                    > > > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                    > > > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                    > > > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do

                  • bowman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                      On Tuesday 04 July 2006 04:50, Scott O'Bryan wrote:
                      > Especially in dealing with
                      > machines that regularly sit on the login screen, VNC server has trouble
                      > displaying that screen at times. Just a thought.

                      We use VNC a lot, both on client sites and in house. It does require a little
                      tinkering to get it to work efficiently, especially for screen refreshes.
                      Even then, the server will sometimes consume almost all of the cpu time.
                      TightVNC seems to work marginally better.

                      When you see a mouse cursor waving around wildly, it's a good bet someone is
                      VNC'd in and trying to get the screen to refresh.
                    • K. S.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                        Markus Wipfler wrote:

                        > If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers from a
                        > Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a VNCserver on
                        > the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                        > Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas rdesktop
                        > What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free ones are
                        > available?

                        As I understand it, the difference with go2mypeecee is that it doesn't require
                        firewall rules for incoming connections as do the conventional solutions you
                        cite above. The reason is that it's a service that runs on the peecee,
                        initiating traffic to the go2mypeecee web site, which then interacts with the
                        go2mypeecee client when it connects.

                        Sort of a clever hack to get around the firewall actually, but you are
                        completely dependent on the go2mypeecee service, which must be paid every month.

                      • Scott O'Bryan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Well then my only suggestion is to make sure you have the correct Java
                          Runtime-Environment installed as I assume that they are using a java
                          applet to control everything.

                          Scott

                          K. S. wrote:

                          > Markus Wipfler wrote:
                          > >

                          > > If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers
                          > from a
                          > > Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a
                          > VNCserver on
                          > > the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                          > > Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas
                          > rdesktop
                          > > What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free
                          > ones are
                          > > available?
                          >
                          > As I understand it, the difference with go2mypeecee is that it doesn't
                          > require
                          > firewall rules for incoming connections as do the conventional
                          > solutions you
                          > cite above. The reason is that it's a service that runs on the peecee,
                          > initiating traffic to the go2mypeecee web site, which then interacts
                          > with the
                          > go2mypeecee client when it connects.
                          >
                          > Sort of a clever hack to get around the firewall actually, but you are
                          > completely dependent on the go2mypeecee service, which must be paid
                          > every month.

                        • Markus Wipfler
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Another clever way to get around the firewall:
                            Set up a Dial-In Server and create VPN to connect to your Windows Computers
                            behind the firewall..
                            This would allow you to avoid the firewall as the VPN server is used as
                            gateway and would provide secure communication.

                            Linux-------------------FIREWALL-------------------WINXP-Computers
                            \----------vpn ------DIAL-IN SERVER-----vpn----/

                            All other traffic btwn linux and WinXP computers will run via Firewall, but
                            u can use VPN connection for Remote Access.