Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Gotomypc

  • K. S.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2006
      bomvinny wrote:

      > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
      > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
      > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
      > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do to
      > get this to work on my linux machine?

      I'm not sure what you mean by "linux pc" - in any case, does gotomypc.com
      support anything besides pc OSes? I was under the impression that it was only
      for ms windoze...

      If it's actually platform neutral, I'd be interested to hear - but in that
      case they should call it "go to my box", since it could be peecee, mac or
      other unix...

    • Scott O'Bryan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        PC Stands for Personal Computer KS, not Windows....

        K. S. wrote:

        > bomvinny wrote:
        > >

        > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
        > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
        > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
        > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do to
        > > get this to work on my linux machine?
        >
        > I'm not sure what you mean by "linux pc" - in any case, does gotomypc.com
        > support anything besides pc OSes? I was under the impression that it
        > was only
        > for ms windoze...
        >
        > If it's actually platform neutral, I'd be interested to hear - but in that
        > case they should call it "go to my box", since it could be peecee, mac or
        > other unix...

      • ItalysBadBoy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          Well actually it stands for a variety of things,
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc

          IBB

          Scott O'Bryan <darkarena@...> wrote: PC Stands for Personal Computer KS, not Windows....

        • John
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
            --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "bomvinny" <bomvinny@...> wrote:

            > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
            > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
            > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
            > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
            todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol) and
            enable VNC in the list on the right side.

            > get this to work on my linux machine?

            Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
            when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
            service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
            Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
            what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts as
            an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas VNC
            is a direct connection to your system.)

            Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from any
            computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
            "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
            where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
            sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
            are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of upper
            and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).

            To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
            YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
            Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open port
            in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
            be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
            remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do so.

            J.
          • Markus Wipfler
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
              I agree with <bucktheiguana@...>, but what if the VNC server sits
              behind a ISP/company firewall or if the ISP/company is using some form of
              NAT/PAT?

              On 7/1/06, John <bucktheiguana@...> wrote:

              > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "bomvinny" <bomvinny@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to access
              > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into gotomypc
              > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background. I try
              > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
              > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol) and
              > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
              >

              > > get this to work on my linux machine?
              > >

              > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
              > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
              > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
              > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
              > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts as
              > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas VNC
              > is a direct connection to your system.)
              >
              > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from any
              > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
              > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
              > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
              > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
              > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of upper
              > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
              >
              > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
              > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
              > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open port
              > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
              > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
              > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do so.
              >
              > J.

            • bomvinny
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                Gotomypc cannot be installed using a linux machine as a host. But as
                a client machine trying to access the host gotomypc is "Supposed to
                work".
                --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "K. S." <einheit@...> wrote:

                > bomvinny wrote:
                > >

                > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
                access
                > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
                gotomypc
                > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
                I try
                > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
                > > get this to work on my linux machine?
                >
                > I'm not sure what you mean by "linux pc" - in any case, does
                gotomypc.com
                > support anything besides pc OSes? I was under the impression that
                it was only
                > for ms windoze...
                >
                > If it's actually platform neutral, I'd be interested to hear - but
                in that
                > case they should call it "go to my box", since it could be peecee,
                mac or
                > other unix...

              • bomvinny
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  Normally I would not defile a linux machine with gotomypc but this is
                  a special case. I'm trying to use the linux machine as a terminal in
                  a windows enviornment. The purpose is install gotomypc on the windows
                  machines letting them act as hosts and use the linux to access the
                  host machine via gotomypc.
                  --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "John" <bucktheiguana@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "bomvinny" <bomvinny@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
                  access
                  > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
                  gotomypc
                  > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
                  I try
                  > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
                  > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol)
                  and
                  > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
                  >
                  > > get this to work on my linux machine?
                  > >

                  > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
                  > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
                  > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
                  > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
                  > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts
                  as
                  > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas
                  VNC
                  > is a direct connection to your system.)
                  >
                  > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from
                  any
                  > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                  > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                  > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                  > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                  > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                  upper
                  > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                  >
                  > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                  > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                  > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                  port
                  > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                  > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                  > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do
                  so.

                  > J.

                • Markus Wipfler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers from a
                    Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a VNCserver on
                    the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                    Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas rdesktop
                    What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free ones are
                    available?

                    On 7/3/06, bomvinny <bomvinny@...> wrote:

                    > Normally I would not defile a linux machine with gotomypc but this is
                    > a special case. I'm trying to use the linux machine as a terminal in
                    > a windows enviornment. The purpose is install gotomypc on the windows
                    > machines letting them act as hosts and use the linux to access the
                    > host machine via gotomypc.

                    --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > "John" <bucktheiguana@...>
                    >
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com <suselinuxusers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > "bomvinny" <bomvinny@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Using Suse 10.1. Trying to use gotomypc on my linux machine to
                    > access
                    > > > the host machine. Java is set to global. After logging into
                    > gotomypc
                    > > > the screen hangs at authentication with an all black background.
                    > I try
                    > > > from a windows machine and it works fine. Any ideas what I can do
                    > > todit the xinetd file (it's the one with the traffic light symbol)
                    > and
                    > > enable VNC in the list on the right side.
                    > >
                    > > > get this to work on my linux machine?
                    > > >

                    > > Why would you even attempt use Gotomypc to connect to your Linux box
                    > > when you have VNC built right in to SuSE? Gotomypc is a $20/month
                    > > service for Windows users who lack the kind of powerful tools that
                    > > Linux users get for free with their distribution. (By the way, from
                    > > what I understand, Gotomypc is NOT a VNC service. I believe it acts
                    > as
                    > > an intermediary between your system and the remote system, whereas
                    > VNC
                    > > is a direct connection to your system.)
                    > >
                    > > Using SuSE's VNC, you should be able to access your Linux box from
                    > any
                    > > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                    > > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801". (No domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                    > > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                    > > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                    > > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                    > upper
                    > > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                    > >
                    > > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                    > > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                    > > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                    > port
                    > > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                    > > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                    > > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do
                    > so.
                    > >
                    > > J.

                  • Scott O'Bryan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                      You can also just use Window's built-in Remote Desktop using krdc since
                      deploying VNC might be a pain... Actually, I've found in many instances
                      that Remote Desktop is more efficient. Especially in dealing with
                      machines that regularly sit on the login screen, VNC server has trouble
                      displaying that screen at times. Just a thought.

                      Scott

                      Markus Wipfler wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > computer running a Java-enabled web browser by typing
                      > > > "http://yourdomain.tld:5801 <http://yourdomain.tld:5801>". (No
                      > domain? Then use "http://xxx:5801"
                      > > > where "xxx" is your numeric IP address.) Of course you need to make
                      > > > sure that port 5801 is open on your firewall and that your passwords
                      > > > are strong (viz., over eight characters in length with a mix of
                      > > upper
                      > > > and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols).
                      > > >
                      > > > To enable VNC on your machine, go to the Network Services portion of
                      > > > YaST. Click "Remote Administration" then select "Allow Remote
                      > > > Administration". If you're running the SuSE firewall, click "Open
                      > > port
                      > > > in firewall". Also, if you are running your system through a router,
                      > > > be sure to open port 5801 on that, too. You should then be able to
                      > > > remotely log into your computer -- without paying $20 a month to do

                    • bowman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                        On Tuesday 04 July 2006 04:50, Scott O'Bryan wrote:
                        > Especially in dealing with
                        > machines that regularly sit on the login screen, VNC server has trouble
                        > displaying that screen at times. Just a thought.

                        We use VNC a lot, both on client sites and in house. It does require a little
                        tinkering to get it to work efficiently, especially for screen refreshes.
                        Even then, the server will sometimes consume almost all of the cpu time.
                        TightVNC seems to work marginally better.

                        When you see a mouse cursor waving around wildly, it's a good bet someone is
                        VNC'd in and trying to get the screen to refresh.
                      • K. S.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Markus Wipfler wrote:

                          > If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers from a
                          > Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a VNCserver on
                          > the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                          > Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas rdesktop
                          > What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free ones are
                          > available?

                          As I understand it, the difference with go2mypeecee is that it doesn't require
                          firewall rules for incoming connections as do the conventional solutions you
                          cite above. The reason is that it's a service that runs on the peecee,
                          initiating traffic to the go2mypeecee web site, which then interacts with the
                          go2mypeecee client when it connects.

                          Sort of a clever hack to get around the firewall actually, but you are
                          completely dependent on the go2mypeecee service, which must be paid every month.

                        • Scott O'Bryan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Well then my only suggestion is to make sure you have the correct Java
                            Runtime-Environment installed as I assume that they are using a java
                            applet to control everything.

                            Scott

                            K. S. wrote:

                            > Markus Wipfler wrote:
                            > >

                            > > If i get this right u want to remotley control ur Windows Computers
                            > from a
                            > > Linux box. As a costfree alternatvie to Gotomypc u can set up a
                            > VNCserver on
                            > > the windows computers and a Client on the linux. Or u can enable Remote
                            > > Desktop on the windows comp and use several ways to connect, suchas
                            > rdesktop
                            > > What is the reason u want to use a commercial solution when free
                            > ones are
                            > > available?
                            >
                            > As I understand it, the difference with go2mypeecee is that it doesn't
                            > require
                            > firewall rules for incoming connections as do the conventional
                            > solutions you
                            > cite above. The reason is that it's a service that runs on the peecee,
                            > initiating traffic to the go2mypeecee web site, which then interacts
                            > with the
                            > go2mypeecee client when it connects.
                            >
                            > Sort of a clever hack to get around the firewall actually, but you are
                            > completely dependent on the go2mypeecee service, which must be paid
                            > every month.

                          • Markus Wipfler
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                              Another clever way to get around the firewall:
                              Set up a Dial-In Server and create VPN to connect to your Windows Computers
                              behind the firewall..
                              This would allow you to avoid the firewall as the VPN server is used as
                              gateway and would provide secure communication.

                              Linux-------------------FIREWALL-------------------WINXP-Computers
                              \----------vpn ------DIAL-IN SERVER-----vpn----/

                              All other traffic btwn linux and WinXP computers will run via Firewall, but
                              u can use VPN connection for Remote Access.