(SuSE 9.3) problem with slapd: too many open files

  • guilhermemtorres
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hello,

      I have a SuSE 9.3 at a Dual Xeon, 5GB RAM server. Ir runs Openldap
      2-2.2.23-6/Samba/Postfix in a Network with about 1200 users and 200
      win/linux clients.

      Sometimes the server goes down because the ldap starts to log:

      slapd[21431]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open
      files

      When it happens, the number of process of samba or postfix grows a lot
      and
      the server crashes. I think it's because the authentication process
      stoped
      with ldap.

      I was searching a solution to my problem and it seems that the ulimit
      can
      be the cause of it. Now, "ulimit -a" returns:

      servgrad:~ # ulimit -a
      core file size (blocks, -c) 0
      data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
      file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
      max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 32
      max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
      open files (-n) 1024
      pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
      stack size (kbytes, -s) unlimited
      cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
      max user processes (-u) 45056
      virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited

      I tryed to execute "ulimit -n 8192" but the server is still crashing.

      Do anyone have any idea about what can be the cause of this problem
      and how can I solve it?

      Best Regards.
    • Keith Hopkins (Yahoo)
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 12:49 AM
        guilhermemtorres wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have a SuSE 9.3 at a Dual Xeon, 5GB RAM server. Ir runs Openldap
        > 2-2.2.23-6/Samba/Postfix in a Network with about 1200 users and 200
        > win/linux clients.
        >
        > Sometimes the server goes down because the ldap starts to log:
        >
        > slapd[21431]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open
        > files
        > [snip]
        >
        > I tryed to execute "ulimit -n 8192" but the server is still crashing.
        >
        > Do anyone have any idea about what can be the cause of this problem
        > and how can I solve it?

        If you want slapd to use 8192, then you must

        a) Set the hard limit time to be at least 8192 (/etc/profile or
        /etc/initscript), and

        b) Set the soft limit of the process that will run slapd to 8192 prior
        to actually starting slapd. (i.e. you can't change the limits the
        already running process sees.)
        See /etc/init.d/ squid or xprint for examples

        --Keith