[SUSE Linux Users] Re: suse 10.x very near to windows, even beyond, but....

  • Brian R Shepherd
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
      there is one linux os that allows you to utilize SOME windows
      programs....XANDROS.....Brian

      --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Jitin Arora <jitinarora@...>
      wrote:

      > True, but it would be nice if there was a way to use Windows drivers
      > for other devices too, esp. stuff like webcams, printers, etc.
      >
      > Jitin
      >
      > --- ali <ali.baghbani@...> wrote:
      >
      > > as far as i know ndiswrapper is used for wireless cards.
      > >
      > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, romers romansky
      > > <romansky2002@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone tried using ndiswrapper for things like
      > > > this?
      > > >
      > > > jerome

      > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now. Go to
      http://yahoo.shaadi.com

    • K. S.
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
        Brian R Shepherd wrote:
        > there is one linux os that allows you to utilize SOME windows
        > programs....XANDROS.....Brian

        There is nothing special about xandros in that regard - other than the fact
        that xandros ships with a working wine variant, crossover office IIRC.

        One can certainly install crossover office on suse and get the same effect -
        or one could install vmware or win4lin for that matter.

      • Jitin Arora
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
          Thanks for the tip but I am already using Xandros. The deluxe edition
          comes with CrossOver Office which lets me run some major Windows
          applications. However, I am talking of drivers here. I have probably
          had less trouble than most since my Samsung laser printer came with
          Linux drivers, but I still think that if there were a way to use more
          of the drivers already available for Windows, that would help Linux
          users a lot.

          Jitin

          --- Brian R Shepherd <brian.boss351@...> wrote:

          > there is one linux os that allows you to utilize SOME windows
          > programs....XANDROS.....Brian
          >

          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Jitin Arora <jitinarora@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > True, but it would be nice if there was a way to use Windows
          > drivers
          > > for other devices too, esp. stuff like webcams, printers, etc.
          > >
          > > Jitin
          > >
          > > --- ali <ali.baghbani@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > as far as i know ndiswrapper is used for wireless cards.
          > > >
          > > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, romers romansky

          > > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now. Go to
          > http://yahoo.shaadi.com

        • ali
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
            all these solutions are painkillers and of course there are serious
            pains they can not kill. the cure may be in hardware industry taking
            linux real serious. good news is, microsoft has started supporting
            linux. as gandhi said: "they first ignore you, then laugh at you,
            then fight you and then you win." that was also written in redhat's
            stand in linuxworldexpo. isnt that whats happening about linux?
            cheers

            wrote:

            > Thanks for the tip but I am already using Xandros. The deluxe
            edition
            > comes with CrossOver Office which lets me run some major Windows
            > applications. However, I am talking of drivers here. I have
            probably
            > had less trouble than most since my Samsung laser printer came with
            > Linux drivers, but I still think that if there were a way to use
            more
            > of the drivers already available for Windows, that would help Linux
            > users a lot.
            >
            > Jitin
            >
            > --- Brian R Shepherd <brian.boss351@...> wrote:
            >
            > > there is one linux os that allows you to utilize SOME windows
            > > programs....XANDROS.....Brian
            > >

            > > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Jitin Arora <jitinarora@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > True, but it would be nice if there was a way to use Windows
            > > drivers
            > > > for other devices too, esp. stuff like webcams, printers, etc.
            > > >
            > > > Jitin

            > > > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now. Go to
            > > http://yahoo.shaadi.com

            > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now. Go to
            http://yahoo.shaadi.com

          • Walter 'Dutch' Duering
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
              Dear Ali,

              Could you tell me the sourcd of the Gandhi quote. Considering that
              I have been arguing theoritical ponts for almost 40 years that are now
              being partially accepted, I would really like to know.

              Thank you,

              Regards,

              Dutch

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2006

                http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

                > Thank you,
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Dutch
                >

                > ali wrote:
                >

                >>all these solutions are painkillers and of course there are serious
                >>pains they can not kill. the cure may be in hardware industry taking
                >>linux real serious. good news is, microsoft has started supporting
                >>linux. as gandhi said: "they first ignore you, then laugh at you,
                >>then fight you and then you win." that was also written in redhat's
                >>stand in linuxworldexpo. isnt that whats happening about linux?
                >>cheers

              • Brian R Shepherd
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2006
                  Hi folks, this is but an opinion, but I believe that Bill Gates is
                  finally "smelling the coffee", with what I last heard was over 200
                  versions of linux and more people interested in linux plus the whole
                  linux track record, I am thinking he is concerned to a point, because
                  the only real reason companies and such do not switch to linux is due
                  to the costs involved in retraining people, but one day there will be
                  a linux os that takes off like wildfire and cause real concern for
                  microsoft, for the average user, there is no reason not tochange
                  NOW!...Linux is very much "windowsesqe" and free and runs alot
                  smoother and faster without tweaking everything....Brian

                  --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...>