Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Viruses and Spyware.

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4 7:08 PM
      Kitty Bastein wrote:
      > Yes... I am using SuSE Linux 10 the GNOME Desktop... just because I
      > love the Firefox browser.

      I would advise against GNOME...

      They keep "simplifying" the thing to the point where, if you have
      any special situation (and most every user has at least one)...that
      the GNOME people have decided that you don't need the option to configure.

      IF you want a nice GUI, that can also be flexible when YOU need it
      to be flexible, use KDE.

      > So basically I don't have to go around hunting for antivirus programs and
      > antispyware programs either?

      Only if you're addicted to that kind of stuff.

      The Linux security model was specifically developed to cripple
      any attempt by a use to harm any other user's files, and most
      of all, the "system" files which are not to be owned by any
      regular user.

      > Kitty
    • Kitty Bastein
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5 2:50 AM
        I saw that KDE is in SuSE 10 too... Now I am going to ask something that is
        really going to prove to you that I am new at Linux, do I have to
        re-install/format to change from GNOME to KDE?

        I prefer to do other fun stuff on my computer (like webdesign and 'playing'
        with pics and animations) so if I don't have to worry about viruses and
        spyware I am a happy person.

        Love,
        Kitty

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5 7:42 AM
          Kitty Bastein wrote:
          > I saw that KDE is in SuSE 10 too... Now I am going to ask something that is
          > really going to prove to you that I am new at Linux, do I have to
          > re-install/format to change from GNOME to KDE?

          No.

          Just install KDE from your install disks, log out, and when
          you log in again, go to the lower left corner of the screen,
          and select KDE as the window manager.

          > I prefer to do other fun stuff on my computer (like webdesign and 'playing'
          > with pics and animations) so if I don't have to worry about viruses and
          > spyware I am a happy person.

          KDE gives you LOTS of fun things to do.. (doing a right-click on
          various parts of the toolbar will show you things you probably
          never even dreamed of ... like, for example, having 20 desktops
          if you want (I tend to keep 8, so that each seperate project
          can have it's own desktop....without having to be cluttered
          with things from other projects on the same desktop).

          > Love,
          > Kitty
          >
          > 2006/2/5, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...>:
          >
          >> Kitty Bastein wrote:
          >>
          >>>Yes... I am using SuSE Linux 10 the GNOME Desktop... just because I
          >>>love the Firefox browser.
          >>
          >>I would advise against GNOME...
          >>
          >>They keep "simplifying" the thing to the point where, if you have
          >>any special situation (and most every user has at least one)...that
          >>the GNOME people have decided that you don't need the option to configure.
          >>
          >>IF you want a nice GUI, that can also be flexible when YOU need it
          >>to be flexible, use KDE.
          >>

          >>>So basically I don't have to go around hunting for antivirus programs
          >>
          >>and
          >>
          >>>antispyware programs either?
          >>
          >>Only if you're addicted to that kind of stuff.
          >>
          >>The Linux security model was specifically developed to cripple
          >>any attempt by a use to harm any other user's files, and most
          >>of all, the "system" files which are not to be owned by any
          >>regular user.
          >>

          >>>Kitty

        • K. S.
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5 8:54 AM
            Kitty Bastein wrote:
            > I saw that KDE is in SuSE 10 too... Now I am going to ask something that is
            > really going to prove to you that I am new at Linux, do I have to
            > re-install/format to change from GNOME to KDE?

            Definitely not - you can have a dozen different desktop environments to
            choose from when you log into the system.

            If KDE is not already installed, you can always go into yast and select
            "Software Management".

            From the "Filter" combo box on the top left had side of the Software
            Management, pick "Selections".

            Make sure that "KDE Desktop Environment" and "All of KDE" are checked,
            and then "Accept" the selections.

            Have your install CDs ready since it will ask for them.

          • Kitty Bastein
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5 10:38 AM
              *smiles* did that... but now I just think I have all programs for both
              desktops but it still look like GNOME... should I go there and uncheck the
              GNOME stuff?

              Kitty

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5 10:47 AM
                Kitty Bastein wrote:
                > *smiles* did that... but now I just think I have all programs for both
                > desktops but it still look like GNOME... should I go there and uncheck the
                > GNOME stuff?

                No, not at all -

                You just need to log out of your gnome session, then go to the lower
                left corner of the login screen and select KDE session type.

              • Kitty Bastein
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5 10:58 AM
                  oh... *smiles* thanks... I will try that!

                  Love
                  Kitty

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5 1:15 PM
                    Kitty Bastein wrote:
                    > *smiles* did that... but now I just think I have all programs for both
                    > desktops but it still look like GNOME... should I go there and uncheck the
                    > GNOME stuff?

                    No.

                    You have to log out, and then, when you go to login, first go to
                    the lower lefthand corner of the login screen, and select KDE from
                    the (probably long) list of window managers.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6 5:15 AM
                      I will have tons of fun figuring it all out... *Nods*