Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Gutenprint

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      piperut wrote:
      > I have a Canon Selphy CP510 printer. It is not listed on the
      > www.linuxprinting.org website.

      Considering Canon's printer division's hostility to the open
      source community, why in the world would you buy one of their
      printers to use with a Linux system?

      > However, it is listed in the text document for the Gutenprint 5.0.0rc-1
      > which I downloaded and attempted to install.
      > After intalling that, I could not get the printer configured. I was
      > still unable to find that printer listed.
      >
      > I am wondering if I should have uninstalled CUPS or GIMP-Print prior to
      > installing Gutenprint, as Gutenprint is supposed to replace GIMP-print?

      No. They work independantly of each other (there is no uber-system
      mentality like with Windows).

      > I am not really sure about installing a new print system after the
      > system is up an running?

      Why the hell not? This isn't Windows, you know.