Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Dell Ships Desktop PC Primed for Linux

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      ken wrote:
      > Steve wrote:
      > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
      > >
      > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
      > >
      > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
      >
      > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
      >
      > (What does "primed for" mean?)

      It hasn't been polluted with the Microsoft products,
      nor is the purchaser paying the Microsoft Tax.
    • imajeff84663
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
        > Steve wrote:
        > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
        > >
        > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
        > >
        > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
        >
        > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
        >
        > (What does "primed for" mean?)

        I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
        for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
        included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).

        I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
        the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          imajeff84663 wrote:
          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
          > > Steve wrote:
          > > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
          > > >
          > > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
          > > >
          > > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
          > >
          > > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
          > >
          > > (What does "primed for" mean?)
          >
          > I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
          > for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
          > included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).
          >
          > I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
          > the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.

          Considering the typical management droid's knowledge, a system
          "primed for Linux" fits their expectations by being more expensive. :-/
        • Harold Hitchcock
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
            > >
            > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489

            > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.

            > (What does "primed for" mean?)

            I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
            for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
            included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).

            I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
            the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.

            And that is exactly what I was thinking too. Dell DID NOT do any
            favors to anyone of the LINUX persuasion with this system.