Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Dell Ships Desktop PC Primed for Linux

  • ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      Steve wrote:
      > its about time!!!!!!!!!
      >
      > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
      >
      > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489

      It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.

      (What does "primed for" mean?)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        ken wrote:
        > Steve wrote:
        > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
        > >
        > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
        > >
        > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
        >
        > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
        >
        > (What does "primed for" mean?)

        It hasn't been polluted with the Microsoft products,
        nor is the purchaser paying the Microsoft Tax.
      • imajeff84663
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
          > Steve wrote:
          > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
          > >
          > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
          > >
          > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
          >
          > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
          >
          > (What does "primed for" mean?)

          I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
          for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
          included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).

          I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
          the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            imajeff84663 wrote:
            > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
            > > Steve wrote:
            > > > its about time!!!!!!!!!
            > > >
            > > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
            > > >
            > > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489
            > >
            > > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.
            > >
            > > (What does "primed for" mean?)
            >
            > I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
            > for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
            > included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).
            >
            > I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
            > the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.

            Considering the typical management droid's knowledge, a system
            "primed for Linux" fits their expectations by being more expensive. :-/
          • Harold Hitchcock
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
              > > check it out, i thought some of you might be interested in this.
              > >
              > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051005/tc_nf/38489

              > It's not Linux, but FreeDOS.

              > (What does "primed for" mean?)

              I suspect they don't guarantee any hardware is tested nor approved
              for Linux, and the price looks awefully high for a PC with no OS
              included (I don't think FreeDOS can count).

              I don't see enough specs, but other than that it looks the same as
              the $300 system I saw the other day, except this one is near $1000.

              And that is exactly what I was thinking too. Dell DID NOT do any
              favors to anyone of the LINUX persuasion with this system.