Re: [SUSE Linux Users] How to bring up the root login session?

  • K. S.
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2005
      praveen kumar wrote:
      >Hello Friends,
      >
      >This is my first mail to the groups. I installed Suse Linux on my system yesterday.
      >
      >Context : During installation it asked to create a local user and I created one.
      >
      >Problem : The login screen doesn't come at start up. Instead it logins automatically in the 'local user' account.
      >
      >Help : Can anyone help me out? Can you please tell me how to get the root login session as I like to login as root each time.

      Ken did a good job of explaining the auto-login, but I would just add
      that you really should not be logging in as root, except for very
      unusual circumstances. Suse linux provides an ugly root GUI, with bombs,
      warning signs and red background, as well as a minimized number of
      application links on the desktop, to remind you that you really should
      not make yourself at home there.

      If you make a mistake as a normal user it might cost you a few minutes
      work, but if you make a mistake as root, you could easily wipe out your
      system. If you run any malicious code as root, you might as well be
      using ms windoze, because the malicious code will have it's way with
      your system.

      To recap, Unix Security 101: Don't log in as root, use su and/or sudo
      instead.

    • Ken Sprouse / WA3FKG
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2005
        On Tuesday 06 September 2005 11:56, K. S. wrote:
        > praveen kumar wrote:
        > >Hello Friends,
        > >
        > >This is my first mail to the groups. I installed Suse Linux on my system
        > > yesterday.
        > >
        > >Context : During installation it asked to create a local user and I
        > > created one.
        > >
        > >Problem : The login screen doesn't come at start up. Instead it logins
        > > automatically in the 'local user' account.
        > >
        > >Help : Can anyone help me out? Can you please tell me how to get the root
        > > login session as I like to login as root each time.
        >
        > Ken did a good job of explaining the auto-login, but I would just add
        > that you really should not be logging in as root, except for very
        > unusual circumstances. Suse linux provides an ugly root GUI, with bombs,
        > warning signs and red background, as well as a minimized number of
        > application links on the desktop, to remind you that you really should
        > not make yourself at home there.
        >
        > If you make a mistake as a normal user it might cost you a few minutes
        > work, but if you make a mistake as root, you could easily wipe out your
        > system. If you run any malicious code as root, you might as well be
        > using ms windoze, because the malicious code will have it's way with
        > your system.
        >
        > To recap, Unix Security 101: Don't log in as root, use su and/or sudo
        > instead.

        Right you are. I forget that he said he was a "new user" and even though SuSe
        tells you when you install that there is a reason that they create a user
        account in addition to the root account not everyone reads the screens. Even
        with the instalation of new software I seldom find it necessary to log in to
        my system as root. Good point.

        --
        Ken Sprouse / WA3FKG John 3:16
        Blog: http://www.wa3fkg.blogspot.com http://hultonbridge.blogspot.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
          Hello Ken and K.S.,

          Thank you very much for your information. I will check it out tomorrow. But after reading your suggestions, I've some doubts:

          1) Don't we need to log in as Root when we need to install some software? You guys told that one needn't. Then what is the purpose of root login?

          2) How to bring a login screen which prompts me whether to log in as root or local user?

          Thanks in advance,

          Praveen.