Re: [SUSE Linux Users] SFTP on Suse 9.0

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
      K. S. wrote:
      > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      > >K. S. wrote:

      > work

      > >>And if this were a solaris forum, yours would be the correct answer.
      > >>

      > >My answer works on any version of *n*x, therefore, it is the correct
      > >answer in any *n*x forum.
      > >

      > Just FYI, your answer does not work on all versions of unix, only those
      > with a system V init scheme - so for starters, any BSD system is out,
      > including OSX, and something tells me it won't work on AIX either.

      But the principle is the same... go into the /etc/init.d/rc[n].d
      (or /etc/rc[n].d) directories, and make the appropriate links.
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
        K. S. wrote:
        > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
        > >K. S. wrote:

        > >>Key point: Why hide the conveniences of linux? There seems to be some
        > >>priesthood of hard core users that wants to impress people with how hard
        > >>it is to use *n*x OSes. But what is the real effect of this?
        > >>

        > >It's NOT hard. That was my point.
        > >

        > It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
        > confused by your explanation ;)

        Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.
      • K. S.
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
          Aaron Kulkis wrote:
          >K. S. wrote:
          >
          >>Aaron Kulkis wrote:

          >> >It's NOT hard. That was my point.
          >> >

          >>It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
          >>confused by your explanation ;)
          >>

          >Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.

          Are you sure about that?

          If you want linux to remain something that can only be used by the
          technical elite, a very small group by definition, and in constant
          danger of being smothered by microsoft dirty tricks, power politics and
          bribes, (something they've been frantically trying to figure out how
          best to do) just keep using that charming bedside manner.

          But. if you want linux usage to grow to the point where microsoft can't
          even think about trying to call the shots anymore, you're going to have
          to welcome the aunt mildreds, the joe six-packs, and noobs from all
          walks of life, with open arms. Cut them some slack, be patient, and try
          not to insult them.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
            K. S. wrote:
            > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
            > >K. S. wrote:

            > how hard

            > >>It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
            > >>confused by your explanation ;)
            > >>

            > >Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.
            > >

            > Are you sure about that?

            Yes, I am.

            The technical illiterate who WISHES TO REMAIN ONE doesn't subscribe to
            lists like this.

            > If you want linux to remain something that can only be used by the
            > technical elite, a very small group by definition, and in constant

            The existance of a 'technical elite' is due to nothing more than
            widespread ignorance.

            Disseminating information DISPELS ignorance.

            > danger of being smothered by microsoft dirty tricks, power politics and
            > bribes, (something they've been frantically trying to figure out how
            > best to do) just keep using that charming bedside manner.
            >
            > But. if you want linux usage to grow to the point where microsoft can't
            > even think about trying to call the shots anymore, you're going to have
            > to welcome the aunt mildreds, the joe six-packs, and noobs from all
            > walks of life, with open arms. Cut them some slack, be patient, and try
            > not to insult them.

            Please tell me about all of the people who wish to remain ignorant of
            computer technology and workings who also subscribe to mailing lists
            devoted to dispelling such ignorance.