Re: [SUSE Linux Users] SFTP on Suse 9.0

  • K. S.
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
      Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      >K. S. wrote:
      >
      >>Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      >>
      >> >Runlevel editor is for people who are lost, and need a solution NOW.
      >> >

      >>Key point: Why hide the conveniences of linux? There seems to be some
      >>priesthood of hard core users that wants to impress people with how hard
      >>it is to use *n*x OSes. But what is the real effect of this?
      >>

      >It's NOT hard. That was my point.

      It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
      confused by your explanation ;)

      >If you're familiar with how the /etc/init.d directory tree controls the
      >run-levels what you're doing, it's FASTER to do the commands by hand
      >than it is fire up the run-level editor, with all of the damn GUI overhead.

      You can run yast from an 80x25 dumb terminal if you want - the GUI
      option is just that, an option.

      If you don't even have the luxury of a terminal, e.g. you only have a
      crude paper teletype interface, you can turn on services using the
      "insserv" command. So, let's have a race. I'll use the suse tools, and
      you do it your way:

      Me:

      # sudo innserv -d sshd
      (enter password) - DONE!

      You:
      $ su
      password:
      # cd /etc/init.d
      # cd rc5.d
      # ln -s ../K09sshd sshd
      # ln -s ../S13sshd sshd
      # cd ../rc3.d
      # ln -s ../K09sshd sshd
      # ln -s ../S13sshd sshd
      # cd ..
      # pwd
      > /etc/init.d

      I think I just won that race by a mile.

      >And there's a reason why Windows users, when anything goes wrong,
      >instinctively re-install....first the application, then the entire
      >damn OS.

      Of course, I never recommend rebooting or reinstalling to fix a linux
      issue - it's lame, it's the microsoft way, and no halfway decent linux
      adminwould be caught dead doing that. So I agree with you on the
      silliness of using the typical microsoft troubleshooting techniques in a
      linux envrinonment, but that's not the same thing as knowing and using
      the cool linux administrative tools.

      >This is a linux user's list. The default assumption is that those
      >who are subscribed have an interest in learning about how their
      >system works. Quit pandering to the Win-diot mentality.

      Aunt Mildred is here because she is trying to figure out how to set up a
      printer in suse linux. She got away from windoze because she was sick of
      the spyware, the viruses, the popups and the crashes, but she is not a
      hard core linux guru and does not want to be. The good news is that she
      doesn't need to be.

      So let's cut Aunt Mildred some slack, OK?

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
        K. S. wrote:
        > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
        > >K. S. wrote:

        > work

        > >>And if this were a solaris forum, yours would be the correct answer.
        > >>

        > >My answer works on any version of *n*x, therefore, it is the correct
        > >answer in any *n*x forum.
        > >

        > Just FYI, your answer does not work on all versions of unix, only those
        > with a system V init scheme - so for starters, any BSD system is out,
        > including OSX, and something tells me it won't work on AIX either.

        But the principle is the same... go into the /etc/init.d/rc[n].d
        (or /etc/rc[n].d) directories, and make the appropriate links.
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
          K. S. wrote:
          > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
          > >K. S. wrote:

          > >>Key point: Why hide the conveniences of linux? There seems to be some
          > >>priesthood of hard core users that wants to impress people with how hard
          > >>it is to use *n*x OSes. But what is the real effect of this?
          > >>

          > >It's NOT hard. That was my point.
          > >

          > It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
          > confused by your explanation ;)

          Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.
        • K. S.
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
            Aaron Kulkis wrote:
            >K. S. wrote:
            >
            >>Aaron Kulkis wrote:

            >> >It's NOT hard. That was my point.
            >> >

            >>It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
            >>confused by your explanation ;)
            >>

            >Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.

            Are you sure about that?

            If you want linux to remain something that can only be used by the
            technical elite, a very small group by definition, and in constant
            danger of being smothered by microsoft dirty tricks, power politics and
            bribes, (something they've been frantically trying to figure out how
            best to do) just keep using that charming bedside manner.

            But. if you want linux usage to grow to the point where microsoft can't
            even think about trying to call the shots anymore, you're going to have
            to welcome the aunt mildreds, the joe six-packs, and noobs from all
            walks of life, with open arms. Cut them some slack, be patient, and try
            not to insult them.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
              K. S. wrote:
              > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
              > >K. S. wrote:

              > how hard

              > >>It's not hard for geeks like us, but I think Aunt Mildred was terribly
              > >>confused by your explanation ;)
              > >>

              > >Aunt Mildred doesn't subscribe to this list.
              > >

              > Are you sure about that?

              Yes, I am.

              The technical illiterate who WISHES TO REMAIN ONE doesn't subscribe to
              lists like this.

              > If you want linux to remain something that can only be used by the
              > technical elite, a very small group by definition, and in constant

              The existance of a 'technical elite' is due to nothing more than
              widespread ignorance.

              Disseminating information DISPELS ignorance.

              > danger of being smothered by microsoft dirty tricks, power politics and
              > bribes, (something they've been frantically trying to figure out how
              > best to do) just keep using that charming bedside manner.
              >
              > But. if you want linux usage to grow to the point where microsoft can't
              > even think about trying to call the shots anymore, you're going to have
              > to welcome the aunt mildreds, the joe six-packs, and noobs from all
              > walks of life, with open arms. Cut them some slack, be patient, and try
              > not to insult them.

              Please tell me about all of the people who wish to remain ignorant of
              computer technology and workings who also subscribe to mailing lists
              devoted to dispelling such ignorance.