Wireless Help

  • Markus Wipfler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
      Hi all,

      I have recently bought a Fixed Wireless Terminal for Internet/phone
      usage. I was using it on WinXP but I would like to get it to work with
      Linux, since I've set up a mail-server and want it to be able to
      forward emails from local network to Internet.

      Computer: Acer (AcerPower F2), P4, Suse 9.2 pro, Kernel 2.6.8-24.16-default
      Internet Connection Device: Huawei ETS2077 Fixed Wireless Terminal
      (connects via Serial Port)

      I would like to know if its possible to get this device to work under
      linux and how-to go about it.

      huawei website and google did not provide me with any help on this one.

      thnx
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
        Hi,

        Is the "Huawei ETS2077 Fixed Wireless Terminal" acting as your
        wireless adapter? Has Suse recognized it? Is it installed? and what
        are you using for a wireless router? you have to have a modem, a
        wireless router, and a wireless card for this to work, do you have all
        of these items? If you do have all of these items, run
        "kwifimanager" , and "kinternet" to see if your wireless router is
        recognized. I need more information from you in order to get you up
        and running.

        steve

        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Markus Wipfler <wipfler@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have recently bought a Fixed Wireless Terminal for Internet/phone
        > usage. I was using it on WinXP but I would like to get it to work with
        > Linux, since I've set up a mail-server and want it to be able to
        > forward emails from local network to Internet.
        >

        > Computer: Acer (AcerPower F2), P4, Suse 9.2 pro, Kernel
        2.6.8-24.16-default
        > Internet Connection Device: Huawei ETS2077 Fixed Wireless Terminal
        > (connects via Serial Port)
        >
        > I would like to know if its possible to get this device to work under
        > linux and how-to go about it.
        >
        > huawei website and google did not provide me with any help on this one.
        >
        > thnx
      • Markus Wipfler
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
          Hi

          The wireless terminal is basically a Telephone that also acts as my
          wireless adapter/ modem

          Pls see link 4 details:
          http://mobile.huawei.com/product_e/cdma_fixed/cdma_fixed_ets2000.htm

          It connects via USB to the computer. When I plugged it in Suse didnt
          detect it, and also after reboot it didnt.

          This Wireless Terminal is provided by our local telcom, especially for
          remote upcountry areas that have no access to Internet via telephone
          lines.

          In Windows XP you just connect the Wireless Terminal, install the
          drivers and use the Create new connection Wizard to configure the
          terminal to dial a certain Phone #.

          On 6/29/05, Steve <sfsmiley@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Is the "Huawei ETS2077 Fixed Wireless Terminal" acting as your
          > wireless adapter? Has Suse recognized it? Is it installed? and what
          > are you using for a wireless router? you have to have a modem, a
          > wireless router, and a wireless card for this to work, do you have all
          > of these items? If you do have all of these items, run
          > "kwifimanager" , and "kinternet" to see if your wireless router is
          > recognized. I need more information from you in order to get you up
          > and running.
          >
          > steve
          >

          > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Markus Wipfler <wipfler@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have recently bought a Fixed Wireless Terminal for Internet/phone
          > > usage. I was using it on WinXP but I would like to get it to work with
          > > Linux, since I've set up a mail-server and want it to be able to
          > > forward emails from local network to Internet.
          > >

          > > Computer: Acer (AcerPower F2), P4, Suse 9.2 pro, Kernel
          > 2.6.8-24.16-default
          > > Internet Connection Device: Huawei ETS2077 Fixed Wireless Terminal
          > > (connects via Serial Port)
          > >
          > > I would like to know if its possible to get this device to work under
          > > linux and how-to go about it.
          > >
          > > huawei website and google did not provide me with any help on this one.
          > >
          > > thnx
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Reilly
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
            i see now. you are using a cellular connection. you
            are going to have to try and contact the mfr for a
            driver so suse recognizes it. or, step 2, use the
            suse help documentation to find out how to setup a
            cellular internet connection. either way, it is just
            going to be a whole lot easier to use a landline if
            available to you. get yourself a newer dialup modem
            pci card, (cheap like $20) you will have no problems
            accessing the net this way. i wish i could help more,
            thats the only solution i have.

            steve

            Peace

            Steve Reilly