Re: compile 2.4 kernel

  • jackson_laboratories
    Message 1 of 1427 , Feb 28, 2001
      I got 2.4.2 to compile on my SUSe 6.4 machine ok
      and it ran a lot faster, but ppp broke with the new
      kernal and I couldn't use the internet and had to go
      back to 2.2.14. Make sure that you save eveything in
      your /boot directory so you can go back if you need
      to. I down loaded to my home dir and compiled there
      as normal user then SU'ed to root to do the make
      install. I just followed the instructions in the 2.4.2 to
      do it. I'm going to make sure that all of the other
      packages are up to date and try again. There were a lot of
      kernal complaints on booting 2.4.2 about modules not
      being found; but it ran. And it was really a seat of
      the pants faster. Probaly due to improved disk drive
      drivers. <a href=http://www.freeos.com/articles/3579 target=new>http://www.freeos.com/articles/3579</a> has more info
      on what has to be updated for 2.4.2 to work
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .