Re: about proxy server

  • jackson_laboratories
    Message 1 of 1427 , Jan 30, 2001
      yes, but have not done, it basicaly you<br>read
      all the howto's about networking then<br><br>1. set
      up the linux box to work on the internet, and turn
      off all of the services ports you are not going to
      use (for security).<br><br>2. put ethernet cards
      (about U$18.00) in both machines, connect with a<br>
      a> cross-over cable and no hub or<br> b> straight
      cables and an ethernet hub<br>assign machines IP number
      that are illegal on the internet.<br><br>3. set up the
      windows machine to use the IP number of the Linux machine
      as a gateway.<br><br>I think you'll be surprised at
      how well it works, most site will pump out 2-4Kbs so
      there is plenty of bandwidth on a 56K modem for 2 or 3
      people. I plan on doing it my self some day.
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .