Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Internet configuration

  • walt
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
      On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 05:29, Jason Thompson wrote:
      > Hello. I'm new to the group.
      > I just installed Linux Suse on my computer, but I don't know how to
      > configure my cable modem so that I can surf the internet with it. Any help
      > would be appreciated.

      > Jason

      How is your cable modem connected to your compter? If it is an ethernet
      card, Suse should have just detected it when it was being installed.

      Walt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        walt wrote:
        > On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 05:29, Jason Thompson wrote:
        >
        >>Hello. I'm new to the group.
        >>I just installed Linux Suse on my computer, but I don't know how to
        >>configure my cable modem so that I can surf the internet with it. Any help
        >>would be appreciated.

        You don't configure modems ... modems are INVISIBLE (because
        all they do is a MODulate/DEModulate function -- which is to
        say, all they do is transform one way of representing ones
        and zeroes (digital pulse-trains) into another way of representing
        ones and zeroes (analog frequency and/or phase and/or amplitude
        modulation)

        What you need to configure is your ETHERNET card.

        >>Jason
        >

        > How is your cable modem connected to your compter? If it is an ethernet
        > card, Suse should have just detected it when it was being installed.
        >
        > Walt
      • Jason
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
          I'm connected through the USB port, not the ethernet port.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
            Jason wrote:

            > I'm connected through the USB port, not the ethernet port.

            You're asking for trouble.
          • Jason
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
              --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@H...>
              wrote:
              > Jason wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm connected through the USB port, not the ethernet port.
              > >

              > You're asking for trouble.

              I tried connecting with my ethernet cable and it worked. But then i
              have to switch back over to USB when i'm using Windows. I'd like to
              get it to where i don't have to switch back and forth.

              Why is using USB bad?
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
                Jason wrote:

                > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@H...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >>Jason wrote:
                >>
                >>>I'm connected through the USB port, not the ethernet port.
                >>>

                >>You're asking for trouble.
                >

                > I tried connecting with my ethernet cable and it worked. But then i
                > have to switch back over to USB when i'm using Windows. I'd like to
                > get it to where i don't have to switch back and forth.
                >
                > Why is using USB bad?

                It's not bad -- it's just not as mature a technology.