Re: trying to decide

  • mbscott
    Message 1 of 1427 , Oct 24, 2000
      After speaking with the systems admin at my work
      (which runs on Redhat) he spoke highly of Redhat and
      Suse. One thing I like about Suse is YaST2 (yet another
      start up program). Basically it's program which makes
      installing modems, a mouse and other hardware very easy. I
      may be wrong, but it's my understanding that Redhat
      doesn't have this. <br><br>Anyway, I was able to install
      SuSe in an afternoon including installing an extra
      hard drive. I was able to set it up that way I wanted
      with not too many difficulties. That only pain was
      that I had to get another modem since I had a
      winmodem. <br><br>One last thing, SuSe doesn't come with
      Gnome which is something I kind of wanted to have. I
      use KDE and that works just fine.
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .