Re: [SUSE Linux Users] No Boot Manager

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 3, 2004
      benesesso wrote:
      > OK, now we're getting somewhere. The DSL modem is external. I don't
      > think there are any drivers for it-Win or Linux.

      Correct, because ALL external modems are real modems.
      [Although, like telephone modems, they CAN have vendor-defined
      escape sequences (remember Hayes modems...and the Hayes
      command protocol which is used by most every telephone modem
      manufacturer to this day..)
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 6, 2004
        benesesso wrote:
        > Ow, my head hurts! Never heard of DHCP. There are 2 computers on our
        > work network. We (my coworker and I) are the customers (engineers) at
        > work, and we have the only DSL line in the place.

        In the dumbed-down world of Windows, it's called "get settings
        from server"
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 6, 2004
          schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:
          > some help please.
          > I have a pair of 120gb HDD halfway loaded with a broken install of SuSE 8.2 and
          > I want to Fdisk them, load XP Pro then install SuSE 9.1.
          >

          > How can I get fdisk to work on these drives? all I have are OS install CDs

          Rather than give you an answer outright, I'm going to ask you some questions.

          Suppose you are a small computer shop, and you want to install an
          OS on a computer, and BEFORE you install the OS, you want to partition
          the disk(s) (so that you have a dedicated swap partition, and other(s)
          for certain filesystems to hold things such as:
          /tmp (to isolate the frequent filesystem writing activity
          to keep a crash-induced filesystm corruption away
          from the OS and data)

          /home (So you can completely overwrite an existing installation
          without even touching your personal files, etc)

          /usr (so that upgrading and updating of applications are
          done on a filesystem which does NOT have ANY of the
          essential core of the operating system on it)
          /opt (So that applications held in this directory are on a
          filesystem which can be left untouched during OS
          upgrades/updates if so desired
          /usr/local for same reasons as /opt

          For example, my installation is like this:

          akulkis@pcp02861561pcs:~> df -k
          /dev/sda1 365580 265232 81474 77% /
          /dev/sda5 8578408 4393256 4185152 52% /usr
          /dev/sdb1 365580 265867 80839 77% /_mirror
          /dev/sdb5 8578408 7240616 1337792 85% /home
          /dev/sdc5 3148572 2374260 774312 76% /usr/local
          /dev/sdc6 8393664 5654640 2739024 68% /opt
          /dev/sdc7 6377572 2566824 3810748 41% /var
          /dev/sdd2 3176068 1649580 1526488 52% /tmp
          shmfs 645952 0 645952 0% /dev/shm
          akulkis@pcp02861561pcs:~>

          BEFORE the operating system is installed, how do you think the person
          installing the OS would be able to fdisk the disk to make the
          necessary primary, extended and logical partitions to make a system
          to be laid out as such

          partition filesystem Size
          --------- ---------- ----
          /hda1 /boot 2 tracks
          /hda2 / 600 MB
          /hda3 /home LARGE
          /hda4 Extended partition containing:

          /hda5 /opt

          > thanks
          >
          > --
          > chas
          > The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

        • Frank Taylor
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 6, 2004
            If you know the maker of your drives and have another machine available:
            most manufacturers have a floppy disk program available for download. These
            will usually help you to put the disk drive in order.

            Saved my bacon more than once.

            Frank Taylor

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 6, 2004
              Frank Taylor wrote:
              > If you know the maker of your drives and have another machine available:
              > most manufacturers have a floppy disk program available for download. These
              > will usually help you to put the disk drive in order.

              No Need.

              As I've been trying to get you to all realize...there is no way
              to make a multi-partition installation (i.e. many filesystems on
              different partitions) without SuSE PUTTIN FDISK ON THE INSTALLATION
              DISKS!!!!

              you know...that step where you set up the partitions and filesystems...
              THAT is a front-end for FDISK!