Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Installation RPM failures

  • Brian Detweiler
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...> wrote:
      > Brian Detweiler wrote:
      > > Dear group,
      > >
      > > I work with Linux off and on, but have trouble finding time to really
      > perfect
      > > my installations. I also lack patience. One thing that I've noticed, at
      > least
      > > with SuSE Home Edition 8.0 is that during the install, different RPMs fail
      > on
      > > different machines. On my laptop, for instance, libgcc failed, but it
      > installed
      > > fine on my desktop. However, on my Desktop, the KDE libraries and Grub
      > failed,
      > > but worked fine on my laptop. Now, I know the disks aren't scratched or
      > > smudged, and due to the inconsistancy, it appears to be more of a software
      > > problem than hardware. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
      >

      > That's why I never buy x.0 version of ANYTHING.
      >

      > > Thanks,
      > > Brian.

      So you think it's just a premature version problem? I guess that would kind of
      be a blanket answer, but anything more specific? Like what might cause it? And
      how to get around it (besides getting a post-x.0 version)? If I can get enough
      installed to get the system running, then I can usually install the rest
      seperately, but when Grub fails to install, it's not so easy.

      Thanks,
      Brian.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
        Brian Detweiler wrote:
        > --- Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...> wrote:
        >
        >>Brian Detweiler wrote:
        >>
        >>>Dear group,
        >>>
        >>>I work with Linux off and on, but have trouble finding time to really
        >>
        >>perfect
        >>
        >>>my installations. I also lack patience. One thing that I've noticed, at
        >>
        >>least
        >>
        >>>with SuSE Home Edition 8.0 is that during the install, different RPMs fail
        >>
        >>on
        >>
        >>>different machines. On my laptop, for instance, libgcc failed, but it
        >>
        >>installed
        >>
        >>>fine on my desktop. However, on my Desktop, the KDE libraries and Grub
        >>
        >>failed,
        >>
        >>>but worked fine on my laptop. Now, I know the disks aren't scratched or
        >>>smudged, and due to the inconsistancy, it appears to be more of a software
        >>>problem than hardware. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
        >>

        >>That's why I never buy x.0 version of ANYTHING.
        >>

        >>>Thanks,
        >>>Brian.
        >

        > So you think it's just a premature version problem? I guess that would kind of

        I've been in the IT industry for over a decade.

        x.0 almost always means annoying problems.

        > be a blanket answer, but anything more specific? Like what might cause it? And

        How many Beta-testers can you afford to pay?

        As many as you have customer?

        No

        Ok, then, that's your cause.

        > how to get around it (besides getting a post-x.0 version)? If I can get enough
        > installed to get the system running, then I can usually install the rest
        > seperately, but when Grub fails to install, it's not so easy.

        You know of alpha-test version and beta-test versions...
        x.0 is the polite way of of saying Version x, gamma-test version.

        > Thanks,
        > Brian.

      • Horror Vacui
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
          On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
          Brian wrote:

          > --- Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...> wrote:
          > > Brian Detweiler wrote:
          > > >
          > > > but worked fine on my laptop. Now, I know the disks aren't
          > > > scratched or smudged, and due to the inconsistancy, it appears to
          > > > be more of a software problem than hardware. If anyone has any
          > > > ideas, let me know.
          > >

          > > That's why I never buy x.0 version of ANYTHING.
          >
          > So you think it's just a premature version problem? I guess that would
          > kind of be a blanket answer, but anything more specific?

          I'd like to say that though the x.0-version caveat is mostly founded,
          with SuSE it appears to be less of a problem then with - nearly
          legendary in this regard - Red Hat. I also must say that I've never used
          a SuSE x.0 version and am basing the above on reviews I read about them,
          so take it with a pinch of salt.

          > Like what
          > might cause it? And how to get around it (besides getting a post-x.0
          > version)? If I can get enough installed to get the system running,
          > then I can usually install the rest seperately, but when Grub fails to
          > install, it's not so easy.

          Although you believe it's not the case, this looks suspiciously like a
          problem with media/drive. The cd-rom laser lens will become dirty with
          time, and small imperfections on the media - which usually wouldn't be a
          problem - result in (random) read errors. If you are technically
          proficient, you could open the drive and clean the lens (taking care not
          to damage the transport/adjustment mechanism) by wiping it with several
          q-tips, first soaked with alcohol and then quickly wiping dry with a dry
          one (take clean alcohol - it doesn't matter which alcohol, as long as
          it's clean, I once cleaned a drive with brandy).

          I don't think your problem has anything to do with SuSE installation
          utility or the provided rpm's (expect that perhaps it doesn't try often
          enough before reporting a failure). My experience with bad media and
          dirty drives is that a couple of packages will always fail, and have to
          be installed afterwards - that'd fit, wouldn't it?

          Horror Vacui

          Registered Linux user #257714

          - and keep following the GNU.
        • Brian Detweiler
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
            > Brian wrote:
            >
            > > --- Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@...> wrote:

            > > > That's why I never buy x.0 version of ANYTHING.
            > >
            > > So you think it's just a premature version problem? I guess that would
            > > kind of be a blanket answer, but anything more specific?
            >
            > I'd like to say that though the x.0-version caveat is mostly founded,
            > with SuSE it appears to be less of a problem then with - nearly
            > legendary in this regard - Red Hat. I also must say that I've never used
            > a SuSE x.0 version and am basing the above on reviews I read about them,
            > so take it with a pinch of salt.
            >
            > > Like what
            > > might cause it? And how to get around it (besides getting a post-x.0
            > > version)? If I can get enough installed to get the system running,
            > > then I can usually install the rest seperately, but when Grub fails to
            > > install, it's not so easy.
            >
            > Although you believe it's not the case, this looks suspiciously like a
            > problem with media/drive. The cd-rom laser lens will become dirty with
            > time, and small imperfections on the media - which usually wouldn't be a
            > problem - result in (random) read errors. If you are technically
            > proficient, you could open the drive and clean the lens (taking care not
            > to damage the transport/adjustment mechanism) by wiping it with several
            > q-tips, first soaked with alcohol and then quickly wiping dry with a dry
            > one (take clean alcohol - it doesn't matter which alcohol, as long as
            > it's clean, I once cleaned a drive with brandy).
            >
            > I don't think your problem has anything to do with SuSE installation
            > utility or the provided rpm's (expect that perhaps it doesn't try often
            > enough before reporting a failure). My experience with bad media and
            > dirty drives is that a couple of packages will always fail, and have to
            > be installed afterwards - that'd fit, wouldn't it?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > --
            > Horror Vacui
            >
            > Registered Linux user #257714
            >
            > Go get yourself... counted: http://counter.li.org/
            > - and keep following the GNU.

            Thanks for the replies guys. It is possible my CDs are experiencing CD rot,
            though I highly doubt it is the drive. Haven't had any problems anywhere else.
            Though taking apart a CD/DVD drive does sound fun, that won't be my weekend
            project this time. As you said, the x.0 version caveat does appear to only
            apply to SuSE (and maybe a few others), because I am installing Red Hat 8.0 as
            I type, and it is at 50% with no visible errors. Whereas SuSE will stop about
            every minute or two asking if I want to Abort, Retry, or Ignore a failed RPM. I
            suppose I will be acquiring a new distro of SuSE then. I have the new LiveCD
            but of course it kernel panics on every machine I try it on. And that doesn't
            require installing. But anyway, I'll give it another shot one of these days.
            The local LUG is having an install fest in July. I may take it up there and see
            if we can't do something with it. Thanks again guys. You'll hear from me agian
            eventually.

            Brian.

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • John de Rivaz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
              Has anyone tried these lens cleaning CDs? You play it as a music CD and after a short announcement you are asked to move to track 9 and a bit of something stuck to the CD cleans the lens as it moves. I have found is useful, especially with burner drives which fail to record is there is anything on the lens.

              In the UK they can be bought from http://www.maplin.co.uk -- presumably there are similar electronics stores in other countries.

              --
              Sincerely, John de Rivaz: http://John.deRivaz.com for websites including Cryonics Europe, Longevity Report, The Venturists, Porthtowan, Alec Harley Reeves - inventor, Arthur Bowker - potter, de Rivaz genealogy, Nomad .. and more

> [...]

              though I highly doubt it is the drive. Haven't had any problems anywhere else.
              Though taking apart a CD/DVD drive does sound fun, that won't be my weekend
              project this time. As you said, the x.0 version caveat does appear to only
              apply to SuSE (and maybe a few others), because I am installing Red Hat 8.0 as
              I type, and it is at 50% with no visible errors. Whereas SuSE will stop about
              every minute or two asking if I want to Abort, Retry, or Ignore a failed RPM. I
              suppose I will be acquiring a new distro of SuSE then. I have the new LiveCD
              but of course it kernel panics on every machine I try it on. And that doesn't
              require installing. But anyway, I'll give it another shot one of these days.
              The local LUG is having an install fest in July. I may take it up there and see
              if we can't do something with it. Thanks again guys. You'll hear from me agian

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor