SuSE 9.1 Download successful

  • Allen D. Tate
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2004
      Okay, I hit a mirror and got the download in around an hour. You can
      either get it here

      ftp://chuck.ucs.indiana.edu/linux/suse/suse/i386/live-cd-9.1/LiveCD-9.1-01.iso

      or my offer still stands to get a copy to you. Contact me off-list for
      details. I will *try* to write up some sort of review for 9.1 after I
      tinker with it.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2004
        Allen D. Tate wrote:
        > Okay, I hit a mirror and got the download in around an hour. You can
        > either get it here
        >
        > ftp://chuck.ucs.indiana.edu/linux/suse/suse/i386/live-cd-9.1/LiveCD-9.1-01.iso
        >
        > or my offer still stands to get a copy to you. Contact me off-list for
        > details. I will *try* to write up some sort of review for 9.1 after I
        > tinker with it.

        I just bought a CD-burner, but haven't played with it yet.
        I have Suse 8.1, so I have most of the CD-burning software that
        is even remotely popular.

        Once I have a .iso file, what algorithm will burn it to disk?
      • Allen D. Tate

          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2004
            Allen D. Tate wrote:
            > Does K3b come with SuSE 8.1? That's what I use. It rocks.

            Yes, of course 8.1 has K3B....

            So...HAVING K3b, and a .iso file, how do I go about making a
            working CD with it (without turning a stack of unburned disks
            into coasters in tests that go awry?)

            > suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            >
            > I just bought a CD-burner, but haven't played with it yet.
            > I have Suse 8.1, so I have most of the CD-burning software that
            > is even remotely popular.
            >
            > Once I have a .iso file, what algorithm will burn it to disk?

          • otplsfriends
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2004
              > So...HAVING K3b, and a .iso file, how do I go about making a
              > working CD with it (without turning a stack of unburned disks
              > into coasters in tests that go awry?)

              Click Tools/CD/Burn CD ISO Image and follow the prompts. Let me know
              how it goes.
            • Horror Vacui
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2004
                On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:03:55 -0400
                Aaron wrote:

                > Allen D. Tate wrote:
                > > Does K3b come with SuSE 8.1? That's what I use. It rocks.
                >
                > Yes, of course 8.1 has K3B....
                >
                > So...HAVING K3b, and a .iso file, how do I go about making a
                > working CD with it (without turning a stack of unburned disks
                > into coasters in tests that go awry?)

                Don't know about that, but here's what I do (as root) if I have an .iso
                file:

                cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc fs=36m -v -eject xxxxx.iso

                I don't know why you should even want to start a GUI for something like
                this (if at all, a GUI would be useful while creating the .iso file from
                multiple files or directories). Yes, with a GUI you can just click
                yourself through until the CD is burned (and perhaps works) and you
                don't have to learn the syntax for cdrecord, but since I just told you
                that...

                NB: in the above command, the "dev" argument points to a device file
                where my burner is attached. That's because I use kernel 2.6, which
                doesn't need the iso-scsi emulation. In your case, it'll be something
                else, i.e. an scsi bus target, which you can find out with the command:

                cdrecord -scanbus

                That should give you a list with devices running under the scsi
                emulation. Find your burner, and if the bus ID is, say, 0,1,0, use
                dev=1,0 as an argument to cdrecord. Before you really start burning
                though, do a test burn using the -dummy option to cdrecord to check if
                everything works smoothly.

                Horror Vacui

                Registered Linux user #257714

                - and keep following the GNU.
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2004
                  Horror Vacui wrote:
                  > On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:03:55 -0400
                  > Aaron wrote:
                  >

                  >>Allen D. Tate wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>Does K3b come with SuSE 8.1? That's what I use. It rocks.
                  >>
                  >>Yes, of course 8.1 has K3B....
                  >>
                  >>So...HAVING K3b, and a .iso file, how do I go about making a
                  >>working CD with it (without turning a stack of unburned disks
                  >>into coasters in tests that go awry?)
                  >

                  > Don't know about that, but here's what I do (as root) if I have an .iso
                  > file:
                  >
                  > cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc fs=36m -v -eject xxxxx.iso

                  Perfect, thank you.

                  > I don't know why you should even want to start a GUI for something like
                  > this (if at all, a GUI would be useful while creating the .iso file from
                  > multiple files or directories). Yes, with a GUI you can just click
                  > yourself through until the CD is burned (and perhaps works) and you
                  > don't have to learn the syntax for cdrecord, but since I just told you
                  > that...

                  I'm an old Unix hand going back to the pre-GUI of the 1980's....
                  command line usage is no problem. It's just been somewhat
                  difficult knowing if I have all the pieces to making a CD or not.

                  > NB: in the above command, the "dev" argument points to a device file
                  > where my burner is attached. That's because I use kernel 2.6, which
                  > doesn't need the iso-scsi emulation. In your case, it'll be something
                  > else, i.e. an scsi bus target, which you can find out with the command:
                  >
                  > cdrecord -scanbus
                  >
                  > That should give you a list with devices running under the scsi
                  > emulation. Find your burner, and if the bus ID is, say, 0,1,0, use
                  > dev=1,0 as an argument to cdrecord. Before you really start burning
                  > though, do a test burn using the -dummy option to cdrecord to check if
                  > everything works smoothly.

                  I have a mostly-SCSI system (An adaptec 2940 and an Adaptec 29160)
                  with hard drives on the U160 card, and CD-ROMS and tape on the 2940.
                  (bus 0 and bus 1)

                  the ide-scsi device is showing up as a lone device on bus 2.

                  this is a 2.4 kernal
                  pcp02861561pcs:/proc # cdrecord -scanbus
                  Cdrecord 1.11a28 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
                  Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
                  Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
                  scsibus0:
                  0,0,0 0) 'IBM ' 'DNES-309170W ' 'SA30' Disk
                  0,1,0 1) 'IBM ' 'DNES-309170W ' 'SAH0' Disk
                  0,2,0 2) *
                  0,3,0 3) *
                  0,4,0 4) *
                  0,5,0 5) *
                  0,6,0 6) *
                  0,7,0 7) *
                  0,13,0 13) 'IBM ' 'DDYS-T18350N ' 'S96H' Disk
                  scsibus1:
                  1,0,0 100) *
                  1,1,0 101) *
                  1,2,0 102) *
                  1,3,0 103) 'IBM ' 'DCAS-34330 ' 'S65A' Disk
                  1,4,0 104) 'HP ' 'C1537A ' 'L610' Removable Tape
                  1,5,0 105) 'TEAC ' 'CD-ROM CD-516S ' '1.0G' Removable CD-ROM
                  1,6,0 106) 'TEAC ' 'CD-ROM CD-516S ' '1.0G' Removable CD-ROM
                  1,7,0 107) *
                  scsibus2:
                  2,0,0 200) ' ' '52X24X52 CD-RW ' '1.04' Removable CD-ROM
                  2,1,0 201) *
                  2,2,0 202) *
                  2,3,0 203) *
                  2,4,0 204) *
                  2,5,0 205) *
                  2,6,0 206) *
                  2,7,0 207) *
                  pcp02861561pcs:/proc #

                  I'm assuming it would show up as /dev/sde or something like that ???

                  > Cheers

                • Horror Vacui
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 20, 2004
                    On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:10:03 -0400
                    Aaron wrote:

                    > I have a mostly-SCSI system (An adaptec 2940 and an Adaptec 29160)
                    > with hard drives on the U160 card, and CD-ROMS and tape on the 2940.
                    > (bus 0 and bus 1)
                    >
                    > the ide-scsi device is showing up as a lone device on bus 2.
                    >
                    > this is a 2.4 kernal
                    > pcp02861561pcs:/proc # cdrecord -scanbus
                    <snip>
                    > scsibus2:
                    > 2,0,0 200) ' ' '52X24X52 CD-RW ' '1.04' Removable
                    > CD-ROM 2,1,0 201) *

                    > I'm assuming it would show up as /dev/sde or something like that ???

                    Don't know. But you don't have to care about that because cdrecord
                    requires the bus ID anyway (the original command given by me always
                    gives me a warning message about my usage of a device file as a target).
                    So your command would be:

                    cdrecord dev=2,0,0 fs=36m -v -eject xxxx.iso

                    The "fs" by the way is for setting the FIFO buffer, and with 36 MB it's
                    rather ridiculously oversized (the default is something like 4 MB). You
                    can leave it out, in fact the only required is the dev and the filename.
                    Consult the manpage for other options - one of the more useful is the
                    "speed=xx" which allows you to specify the burning speed, which is nice
                    for those who don't trust burning at the highest.

                    If you find that burning CD's this way is a matter too trivial to bother
                    firing up a GUI, you will probably want to learn how to create .iso
                    images yourself, so consult the documentation for mkisofs as well.

                    A member of this list, Godwin Stewart, has a howto on cd-writing which
                    you can use as a starting point or a reference:
                    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/howto/cdwriting.php