Smart Boot Manager

  • John de Rivaz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2004
      Hi,

      I have a PIII with two windows versions in two 10GB partitions with a
      third free. I wanted to put Suse 9.1 into that.

      The partitions are managed by Smart Boot Manager.

      Suse 9.1 installer said that there was a further 5GB free and
      installed in that, but when the machine re-booted it said "GRUB" and
      froze. The system was restored by re-installing SBM.

      The SBM manual says that you have to get the installer to put LiLo in
      the superblock of the partition not the master boot record. It tells
      you how to edit the lilo config file.

      Anyone know how to do that given that Linux can't be started? Running
      it off the CD works, but I can't find the HD installation. I have
      virtually no experience of Linux, but have had a computer of some
      sort since the early 1980s, and DOS or Windows PCs since around 1990.