Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: Cable modem problems

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
      On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:30:05 -0000
      liam_m_parker wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > they registred the physical address of the NIC, I take it this is
      > the MAC address of the NIC?

      Yep, that's the MAC.

      > I've just gone into LINUX, and can't get an internet connection,
      > unistalled and reinstalled the etehrnet card with Yast2, still no
      > luck. Yet in Windows I can connect.

      To clarify (you should have said this yourself): is the Linux machine
      the same machine as the Windows machine you can connect with, i.e. is it
      a dual-boot? If it is, you needn't worry about MAC recording, since it's
      a hardware address and doesn't change because you're running a different
      OS.

      Have you tested the connection to the router, i.e. can you ping the
      router's IP? "Uninstalling" and "reinstalling" the NIC won't help you
      much here, since Linux works differently (you've done exactly nothing,
      you're still using the same driver). Use ifconfig (as root) to check if
      the NIC has an IP address. How do you get an IP for the NIC in Windows?
      Which NIC is it?

      > How would I set up my internet as a share? and why if I have the one
      > machine?

      Woopsy. I should read everything before replying. Nah, you don't need to
      'set up internet as a share' (correctly called masquerading or a NAT
      router) if you have only one machine.

      And by the way: please don't top-post. Place your text below the text
      you're referring to. Also, delete all unnecessary text from your replies
      - there's no need to send everything, including yahoo ads to and fro.

      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.
    • Liam Parker
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi,

        many thanks for your email.

        I have now resolved the internet acces problem. But I am still left with the problem of very slow broadband speed under Linux.

        Yes I do have a dual booting machine.

        My NIC is a Netgear FA311 ethernet card, Linux Suse ( saw this straight away. So have the drivers for the card been installed already or will I have to do this?

        Sorry about the Top Posting.

        If you can think of any suggestions I would be greatful.

        Regards

        Liam Parker.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2004
          Liam Parker wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > many thanks for your email.
          >
          > I have now resolved the internet acces problem. But I am still left
          > with the problem of very slow broadband speed under Linux.

          Is your NIC operating at 10 Mb/s or 100 Mb/s?
          Full duplex or Half duplex?
        • Liam Parker
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2004
            Hi,

            'Is your NIC operating at 10 Mb/s or 100 Mb/s?
            Full duplex or Half duplex?'

            Don't know how can find out and set it up so its at full duplex and 100Mb/s?

            Any help is appreciated

            Liam Parker