Re: cable modem

  • fespehana
    Message 1 of 1427 , Aug 7, 2000
      Hi,<br>I have just joined this club and browsing
      the messages.<br>I am using 6.1 and have tried
      setting it up for cable modem.<br>Once you have the cable
      modem running from Windows, get the IP address that is
      assigned by DHCP server. You also need to find out the
      address of the DNS that are used for this
      connection.<br>The rest is that you need to enter the network setup
      manually in Linux. The drawback is that whenever the IP
      add change then you need to re-do it. I do not know
      whether there is a DHCP client running on Linux. ANybody
      knows about this please share.
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .