Password and keyboard problem.

  • Frank Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      I have just installed SuSE 9 on my PC which has Windows XP
      Professional installed. The installation seemed to go according to
      plan, but when the intial bootup asked for my username and password,
      it rejected them.
      Also the keyboard inserts 'z' when I press 'y'. (It's perfectly OK in
      Windows.) I don't know where to go from here. Any help gratefully
      received.

      Frank Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Frank Taylor wrote:
        > I have just installed SuSE 9 on my PC which has Windows XP
        > Professional installed. The installation seemed to go according to
        > plan, but when the intial bootup asked for my username and password,
        > it rejected them.

        1. check for caps lock being on.
        2. maybe your password has a y or z in it....

        > Also the keyboard inserts 'z' when I press 'y'. (It's perfectly OK in
        > Windows.) I don't know where to go from here. Any help gratefully
        > received.

        You've got a German keyboard specified.

        On my local LUG's mailing list, Metro Detoit LUG, similar problems
        have been reported. Someone posted a solution, but I can't remember
        it offhand. You might want to inquire there.

        (mdlug circle-a mdlug d0t org
        to subscribe mdlug-subscribe circle-a mdlug d0t org)

        > Frank Taylor

      • evilernielinux
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Taylor" <mossbury@b...>
          wrote:
          > I have just installed SuSE 9 on my PC which has Windows XP
          > Professional installed. The installation seemed to go according to
          > plan, but when the intial bootup asked for my username and
          password,
          > it rejected them.
          > Also the keyboard inserts 'z' when I press 'y'. (It's perfectly OK
          in
          > Windows.) I don't know where to go from here. Any help gratefully
          > received.
          >
          > Frank Taylor

          I am not to familiar with this type of problem. I did run into
          something close though. When i setup 9.0 for the first time I was
          running it over Win ME and half of my keys wouldnt work on my
          keyboard. I reset the partition and reloaded and didnt have the
          problem anymore. Probably not the best fix but it was all I could do.
        • Frank Taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@H...>
            wrote:
            > Frank Taylor wrote:
            > > I have just installed SuSE 9 on my PC which has Windows XP
            > > Professional installed. The installation seemed to go according
            > > plan, but when the intial bootup asked for my username and
            password,
            > > it rejected them.
            >

            > 1. check for caps lock being on.
            I wish it was that simple.
            > 2. maybe your password has a y or z in it....
            Yes, it has.

            > > Also the keyboard inserts 'z' when I press 'y'. (It's perfectly
            OK in
            > > Windows.) I don't know where to go from here. Any help
            gratefully
            > > received.
            >
            > You've got a German keyboard specified.
            I have reformatted the partition and re-installed SuSE, but I cannot
            get around the password problem. The silly part is - I don't want to
            use a password.
            It is a single user machine.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              Frank Taylor wrote:
              > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@H...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >>Frank Taylor wrote:
              >>
              >>>I have just installed SuSE 9 on my PC which has Windows XP
              >>>Professional installed. The installation seemed to go according

              >>>plan, but when the intial bootup asked for my username and
              >
              > password,
              >
              >>>it rejected them.
              >>

              >>1. check for caps lock being on.
              >
              > I wish it was that simple.
              >
              >>2. maybe your password has a y or z in it....
              >
              > Yes, it has.
              >

              >>>Also the keyboard inserts 'z' when I press 'y'. (It's perfectly
              >
              > OK in
              >
              >>>Windows.) I don't know where to go from here. Any help
              >
              > gratefully
              >
              >>>received.
              >>
              >>You've got a German keyboard specified.
              >
              > I have reformatted the partition and re-installed SuSE, but I cannot
              > get around the password problem. The silly part is - I don't want to
              > use a password.
              > It is a single user machine.

              If you're connected to the Internet, you NEED passwords.

              Otherwise, you WILL be hacked.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 25, 2004
                Around March 1, Frank Taylor wrote:
                > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis@H...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > I have reformatted the partition and re-installed SuSE, but I cannot
                > get around the password problem. The silly part is - I don't want to
                > use a password.
                > It is a single user machine.

                With Unix and Linux, if it's on a network, then you ALWAYS want it
                to be password protected. Especially the root account.

                Make sure you set up another account for yourself.