Linux DSL configuration

  • Robert Kopp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > > Does anyone have their Suse Linux system set up to
      > the Internet
      > > running on Broadband DSL? I am wondering if the
      > hardware is
      > > universal or if I need equipment specifically
      > designed to run with
      > > Linux?
      No. At least 90% of Ethernet adapters work with Linux,
      including onboard ones (like mine). And routers are
      not OS-specific.

      > > It is my understanding I need 2 Ethernet Adapter
      > Cards and a Router
      > > if I'm going to run two home computers on the
      > Internet using this
      > > system.

      It's a good idea to do it that way. Unless your
      computer is old, it will probably have an Ethernet
      adapter already installed. If not, PCI adapters can be
      obtained for $20 or less. I've never installed one
      that didn't work with Linux, but say, the D-Link
      DFE-530TX+. It should be automatically detected when
      the system boots.

      The router should be less than $100, and perhaps less
      than $50. These are configured using a Java-enabled
      Web browser, such as Mozilla; you shouldn't have to
      install any software. Just use the information
      provided by your ISP to configure it.

      =====
      Robert "Tim" Kopp
      http://analytic.tripod.com/

      "Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche
    • Horror Vacui
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:14:07 -0800 (PST)
        Robert wrote:

        > --- suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > > > It is my understanding I need 2 Ethernet Adapter
        > > Cards and a Router
        > > > if I'm going to run two home computers on the
        > > Internet using this
        > > > system.
        > > >
        > It's a good idea to do it that way. Unless your
        > computer is old, it will probably have an Ethernet
        > adapter already installed. If not, PCI adapters can be
        > obtained for $20 or less. I've never installed one
        > that didn't work with Linux, but say, the D-Link
        > DFE-530TX+. It should be automatically detected when
        > the system boots.

        A word of warning here - perhaps my case is isolated, but who knows. I
        have a realtek 8139 chipset-based netgear NIC. The cards stops working
        every once in a while - not too often, but too often for my taste.
        Stopping it and reloading the driver module (8139too.o) - sometimes
        several times - makes it functional again. It seems to be some problem
        with the hardware, because it retains this behaviour with different
        kernels. Otherwise, it's a good NIC, probably no reason for alarm -
        decide against netgear only if you have a tie otherwise.

        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          Horror Vacui wrote:
          > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:14:07 -0800 (PST)
          > Robert wrote:

          >>>Cards and a Router

          >>>Internet using this

          >>It's a good idea to do it that way. Unless your
          >>computer is old, it will probably have an Ethernet
          >>adapter already installed. If not, PCI adapters can be
          >>obtained for $20 or less. I've never installed one
          >>that didn't work with Linux, but say, the D-Link
          >>DFE-530TX+. It should be automatically detected when
          >>the system boots.
          >

          > A word of warning here - perhaps my case is isolated, but who knows. I
          > have a realtek 8139 chipset-based netgear NIC. The cards stops working
          > every once in a while - not too often, but too often for my taste.
          > Stopping it and reloading the driver module (8139too.o) - sometimes
          > several times - makes it functional again. It seems to be some problem

          No need to do that--very messy.
          try using ifconfig to turn the card off and on.

          > with the hardware, because it retains this behaviour with different
          > kernels. Otherwise, it's a good NIC, probably no reason for alarm -
          > decide against netgear only if you have a tie otherwise.

          NICs are cheap. Replace it.

          > Cheers

        • Horror Vacui
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:07:09 -0500
            Aaron wrote:

            > Horror Vacui wrote:
            > > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:14:07 -0800 (PST)
            > > Robert wrote:
            > >

            > > A word of warning here - perhaps my case is isolated, but who knows.
            > > I have a realtek 8139 chipset-based netgear NIC. The cards stops
            > > working every once in a while - not too often, but too often for my
            > > taste. Stopping it and reloading the driver module (8139too.o) -
            > > sometimes several times - makes it functional again. It seems to be
            > > some problem
            >
            > No need to do that--very messy.
            > try using ifconfig to turn the card off and on.

            Of course I tried that. Won't help. I have to unload and reload the
            module (which requires turning it off with ifconfig or an init.d script
            - mor or less the same thing - anyway).

            > > with the hardware, because it retains this behaviour with different
            > > kernels. Otherwise, it's a good NIC, probably no reason for alarm -
            > > decide against netgear only if you have a tie otherwise.
            >
            > NICs are cheap. Replace it.

            Yep, they are cheap, but then again, so am I ;) Really, it's not a big
            problem, for me at least, but I can imagine it could become a biggish
            problem for a newbie.

            Cheers.