Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: eth0 autostart

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:53:50 -0000
      Jim wrote:

      > I also noticed that a config file has some old data in it. Could
      > this be the problem, what would be the correct entries?
      >
      > thanks in advance.
      >
      > file:/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
      > BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
      > BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
      > IPADDR='192.168.1.110'
      > MTU=''
      > NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
      > NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
      > REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      > STARTMODE='onboot'
      > UNIQUE='37TO.sTL8uwQNdc7'

      Yes, this might be it. Try commenting out everything except BOOTPROTO
      and STARTMODE, and see if it works.

      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.
    • Jim Robison
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
        Thanks for your help. It didn't help. However, I added an
        S20network link in my rc5.d directory and it did connect. There was
        already a S05network.

        Again, I think that this resolved my particular issue.

        Thanks again.
      • Horror Vacui
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:25:47 -0000
          Jim wrote:

          > Thanks for your help. It didn't help.

          Hehe... Is it just me, or does this really sound good? I like it :)

          > However, I added an
          > S20network link in my rc5.d directory and it did connect. There was
          > already a S05network.
          >
          > Again, I think that this resolved my particular issue.

          It might have, in case S05 was too early to start the interfaces. If the
          script were started before something it depends on - say, before the
          modules are loaded - the interface would remain unconfigured.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
            Whoops, posted to the wrong message, sorry:
            ***

            Ok, now I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I was working with
            setting up the SAMBA server last night and was having a few
            problems. So, just to eliminate some things I reboot my linux box.
            But it wouldn't connect back to the network. I still have to go
            through the same motions of starting yast2 and "finishing" the
            network card config. Then it will connect again.

            I have put in static ip addresses, dhcp, 2 network cards connected,
            etc. But I can't seem to fix the problem. Most recently, I had it
            up and running last night. But now it is not connected and I live
            1.5 hrs away. (This is the 1st that I lost it w/o rebooting).

            If someone knew what commands were ran to shutdown the network
            connections through update suseconfig, I might be able to write a
            script that checks periodically to see if the box is connected to
            the network or not.

          • Horror Vacui
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
              On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:58:32 -0000
              Jim wrote:

              > Whoops, posted to the wrong message, sorry:
              > ***
              >
              > Ok, now I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I was working with
              > setting up the SAMBA server last night and was having a few
              > problems. So, just to eliminate some things I reboot my linux box.
              > But it wouldn't connect back to the network. I still have to go
              > through the same motions of starting yast2 and "finishing" the
              > network card config. Then it will connect again.

              Hm, funny. With what you posted previously from your /etc/sysconfig/..,
              it should work.

              > I have put in static ip addresses, dhcp, 2 network cards connected,
              > etc. But I can't seem to fix the problem. Most recently, I had it
              > up and running last night. But now it is not connected and I live
              > 1.5 hrs away. (This is the 1st that I lost it w/o rebooting).
              >
              > If someone knew what commands were ran to shutdown the network
              > connections through update suseconfig, I might be able to write a
              > script that checks periodically to see if the box is connected to
              > the network or not.

              I'd guess that if suseconfig uses anything to start or stop the network
              interfaces, it would be the normal start script: /etc/init.d/network.
              These (as you might know, but I'm not sure) take at least "start" and
              "stop" as an argument and (surprisingly) start or stop the service. You
              migh use this to determine what exactly goes wrong, if it does, by using
              them to start and stop the network interfaces while watching closely for
              error messages on the console or in logfiles like /var/log/messages.

              A script like the one you're thinking of writing shouldn't be necessary,
              suseconfig or not. Sorry, but you'll have to go and troubleshoot again.
              Once you have it configured in such a manner that the network starts
              automatically at bootup, suseconfig will be able to start it again after
              shutting it down.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
                Well, I did another reinstall from fresh. So far, I haven't had
                problems. Yesterday's deal didn't deal with the network crashing.
                When I got home and hooked up a monitor, I saw it in the BIOS
                settings?.? The rebooted and all I saw was the MBR setting "GRUB".
                What happened with LILO? Anyways, I have rebooted the machine a
                couple of times and haven't had problems yet.

                Will be bouncing the server a few times this weekend to see if it
                will reconnect on its own.

                Thanks for your help Horror. Will let you know if I have problems
                with it in the future.