Re: eth0 autostart

  • Jim Robison
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      I also noticed that a config file has some old data in it. Could
      this be the problem, what would be the correct entries?

      thanks in advance.

      file:/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
      BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
      BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
      IPADDR='192.168.1.110'
      MTU=''
      NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
      NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
      REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      STARTMODE='onboot'
      UNIQUE='37TO.sTL8uwQNdc7'
    • Horror Vacui
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:53:50 -0000
        Jim wrote:

        > I also noticed that a config file has some old data in it. Could
        > this be the problem, what would be the correct entries?
        >
        > thanks in advance.
        >
        > file:/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
        > BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
        > BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
        > IPADDR='192.168.1.110'
        > MTU=''
        > NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
        > NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
        > REMOTE_IPADDR=''
        > STARTMODE='onboot'
        > UNIQUE='37TO.sTL8uwQNdc7'

        Yes, this might be it. Try commenting out everything except BOOTPROTO
        and STARTMODE, and see if it works.

        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.
      • Jim Robison
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
          Thanks for your help. It didn't help. However, I added an
          S20network link in my rc5.d directory and it did connect. There was
          already a S05network.

          Again, I think that this resolved my particular issue.

          Thanks again.
        • Horror Vacui
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
            On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:25:47 -0000
            Jim wrote:

            > Thanks for your help. It didn't help.

            Hehe... Is it just me, or does this really sound good? I like it :)

            > However, I added an
            > S20network link in my rc5.d directory and it did connect. There was
            > already a S05network.
            >
            > Again, I think that this resolved my particular issue.

            It might have, in case S05 was too early to start the interfaces. If the
            script were started before something it depends on - say, before the
            modules are loaded - the interface would remain unconfigured.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
              Whoops, posted to the wrong message, sorry:
              ***

              Ok, now I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I was working with
              setting up the SAMBA server last night and was having a few
              problems. So, just to eliminate some things I reboot my linux box.
              But it wouldn't connect back to the network. I still have to go
              through the same motions of starting yast2 and "finishing" the
              network card config. Then it will connect again.

              I have put in static ip addresses, dhcp, 2 network cards connected,
              etc. But I can't seem to fix the problem. Most recently, I had it
              up and running last night. But now it is not connected and I live
              1.5 hrs away. (This is the 1st that I lost it w/o rebooting).

              If someone knew what commands were ran to shutdown the network
              connections through update suseconfig, I might be able to write a
              script that checks periodically to see if the box is connected to
              the network or not.

            • Horror Vacui
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:58:32 -0000
                Jim wrote:

                > Whoops, posted to the wrong message, sorry:
                > ***
                >
                > Ok, now I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I was working with
                > setting up the SAMBA server last night and was having a few
                > problems. So, just to eliminate some things I reboot my linux box.
                > But it wouldn't connect back to the network. I still have to go
                > through the same motions of starting yast2 and "finishing" the
                > network card config. Then it will connect again.

                Hm, funny. With what you posted previously from your /etc/sysconfig/..,
                it should work.

                > I have put in static ip addresses, dhcp, 2 network cards connected,
                > etc. But I can't seem to fix the problem. Most recently, I had it
                > up and running last night. But now it is not connected and I live
                > 1.5 hrs away. (This is the 1st that I lost it w/o rebooting).
                >
                > If someone knew what commands were ran to shutdown the network
                > connections through update suseconfig, I might be able to write a
                > script that checks periodically to see if the box is connected to
                > the network or not.

                I'd guess that if suseconfig uses anything to start or stop the network
                interfaces, it would be the normal start script: /etc/init.d/network.
                These (as you might know, but I'm not sure) take at least "start" and
                "stop" as an argument and (surprisingly) start or stop the service. You
                migh use this to determine what exactly goes wrong, if it does, by using
                them to start and stop the network interfaces while watching closely for
                error messages on the console or in logfiles like /var/log/messages.

                A script like the one you're thinking of writing shouldn't be necessary,
                suseconfig or not. Sorry, but you'll have to go and troubleshoot again.
                Once you have it configured in such a manner that the network starts
                automatically at bootup, suseconfig will be able to start it again after
                shutting it down.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Well, I did another reinstall from fresh. So far, I haven't had
                  problems. Yesterday's deal didn't deal with the network crashing.
                  When I got home and hooked up a monitor, I saw it in the BIOS
                  settings?.? The rebooted and all I saw was the MBR setting "GRUB".
                  What happened with LILO? Anyways, I have rebooted the machine a
                  couple of times and haven't had problems yet.

                  Will be bouncing the server a few times this weekend to see if it
                  will reconnect on its own.

                  Thanks for your help Horror. Will let you know if I have problems
                  with it in the future.