Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** [SUSE Linux Users] $PATH

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
      On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:03:49 -0000
      Kristopher wrote:

      > How do I edit my path? I need to put something in it, but I can't
      > find the file. Thanks!

      There's no file - it's an environment variable. You can view it with:
      echo $PATH
      and you can put something (say, /usr/local/games) into it using
      something like:
      export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/games
      This appends /usr/local/games to your $PATH, if you wanted to prepend
      it, you'd switch their places:
      export PATH=/usr/local/games:$PATH
      The colon (:) is the separator here, if you forget to add it, you'll
      mess the current shell a bit up. This change is volatile, and it takes
      place in the shell in which you do it. If you want to make it permanent,
      you can add something like the above to one of the bash startup scripts,
      like ~/.profile or /etc/profile.

      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.
    • Kristopher Clark
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
        Thanks for the help, but I'm still not getting this, do you know how to install the
        current GTK on SuSE? It's not working for me. I wanna figure it out so I can try
        and use it, and if I can figure it out I was gonna write a binary for easy installs but
        I cant figure it out, can you help please?